Sat, Oct 5, 7:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 10:49 pm)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: web layout size

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 8:59 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 7:20 AM

Here is a quick question. in most layout tutorials they tell you to create a document somewhere in the range of 500 x 800 usually. sometimes smaller and sometimes larger. they say this because they say most people still use a screen with this average setting. I disagree, I myself use a flat screen with a resolution of 1280 x 1024. Most of the people I know use flat screens now and none of them are smaller than 17 inches. this being the case, what is the industry standard now for web design resolution?

dreamer101 ( ) posted Sat, 28 January 2006 at 10:28 PM

There are still a lot of people on 800 x 600 resolution with 15" monitor. I have read that the present industry standard is 1024 x 768. I have 2 Desktops and 1 Laptop. 1 Desktop is on 800 x 600 (15" monitor) and other is on 1024 x 768 (19" monitor). The Laptop is on 1280 x 1024. With a good design and the proper use of CSS you can satisfy the majority of people viewing the site.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 3:11 AM

I normally stick to 1024 x 768 myself. Sort of a happy medium and you cant cater for everyone;)

I never intended to make art.

Quest ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 6:55 AM

Most authorities agree with the 800x600 as a rule of thumb simply because you encompass a broader audience. Since screen sizes vary from one extreme to another, so does screen resolutions. If you own a website the site statistics option offers a good and convenient way of monitoring the screen resolution sizes of the viewers that visit your site. Taking an average over a period of time of these statistics will help you determine what would be the optimum resolution for your particular site. You cant cater to everyones needs but if youre after a larger viewership and not want to limit your site to only a certain sector of the population, then averaging offers a safe point measuring stick.

Sans2012 ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 7:07 AM

Good advice Quest! I actually forgot about my stats for viewers screen size. Mine is about 80% 1024 x 768 And the remainder is 800x600; with a couple larger resolutions. Interesting;)

shadowrelm ( ) posted Sun, 29 January 2006 at 4:57 PM

thanks for the input guys. Me and a few other people have been debating for the last couple. It is great to get a broader spectrum.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 9:52 AM

Quest, How can you access the "Site Statistics"?

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Sans2012 ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 10:26 AM

Fran, if you have a stat counter on your webpage hosted by some other server, often they supply you with statistical feedback of recent visits to your site.

Quest ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 10:46 AM · edited Mon, 30 January 2006 at 10:54 AM

Attached Link: Http://cg-quest.com

If you own your own website, the host usually provides you with a site statistics option. At my website (presently not operational) the host, Bravenet in my case, the site owner registers with a statistics sponsor and they provide you with the code to insert onto your opening page. The statistics gives you everything from how many visitors youve had in any given time, page most visited, day of the week and time of most visits, what browsers your visitors were using, their screen size resolutions, visitors OS and so on.

Check on the link above:

At the bottom of the page youll see a link to view my sites statistics. First a screen will come up giving you the general statistics. If you click in any of the little graph icons, the statistics for that particular option will come up. See the section called Top Statistics. This gives everything even broken down to percentages. As for this post, click on screen resolution youll see that most of the visitors to my site use 1024x768 resolution 46.92% at this time. 27.12% at 800x600, 21.38% at 1280x1024. Now if you click on the Operating System graph icon, youll see that 47.71% of my visitors use Window XP, 21.92% use Windows 98, 14.18% use Windows 2000 and 10.74% use Windows Me.

Message edited on: 01/30/2006 10:54

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2006 at 6:12 PM

Well, I found the Site stats, but mine don't look like that, and I can't find anything about screen resolutions on mine... ho hum.

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Quest ( ) posted Wed, 01 February 2006 at 6:31 AM · edited Wed, 01 February 2006 at 6:38 AM

Well, sorry to hear that Fran. Sometimes the stats are only made available to the site owner and not the viewing public in its totality and to allocate them you might have to logon to a specific page on the host site. Also you might have the option to sign on with different stats sponsors, some may offer more variety in their stats service.

If worst comes to worst, from our discussion above, at least in Sans and my stats you can see that basically, at least at the moment, you would fare well if you sized your web site to either 800x600 or 1024x768. Whereas Sans stats indicate that 80% of his viewers logon at 1024x768 and the remaining 30% at 800x600. In my case 47% logon at 1024x768 the remainder at varying screen resolutions of which 27% is 800x600.

Together the two screen resolutions cover 74% of viewership in my case and 100% in Sans case. In both cases it seems 1024x768 has the leadership but varies between the two sites.

Web site resolution has a lot to do with what the particular site caters to. If the site is basically a message site or a How To site obviously they dont require the higher resolution. But if you plan to gallery high res images like most here do, then the higher resolution might be best for you.

Message edited on: 02/01/2006 06:38

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Thu, 02 February 2006 at 5:13 PM · edited Thu, 02 February 2006 at 5:14 PM

Quest,

That's what I was thinking, i.e. High res, 1024x768.

And yeah, makes a difference who the target audience is. P.S. the site stats give me 3 or 4 different ways of looking at the stats, they just aren't the same as yours.

Message edited on: 02/02/2006 17:14

by the shade it casts.

Fran's Freestuff

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.