Tue, Oct 22, 12:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: a curious thought.....program a new node? possible?

anxcon ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 12:40 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:37 AM

not a material setup, but an accual basic node to be used in one just a thought :P

MachineClaw ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 1:18 PM

nodes are based on the render engine that efrontier licenses and need to be coded for poser. most of the existing nodes can be multiplied and combined by linking together. what new node would you need or like?

anxcon ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 1:48 PM

not really need :P just be nice if it was possible, more control over nodes such as write a node for arctan/arcsin/arccos/etc for math instead of using 50 or so nodes to get it i know how to get what i want, usually :P but if programming custom nodes is possible then it would be much more control and advantages to mat room

odeathoflife ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 4:37 PM

what is the widget thing about? could one be made to do this in one click?

♠Ω Poser eZine Ω♠
♠Ω Poser Free Stuff Ω♠
♠Ω My Homepage Ω♠

www.3rddimensiongraphics.net

PoseWorks ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 5:20 PM

You sadly cannot create new nodes for the Material Room. Believe me, I've tried... There are some interesting files describing the nodes lying around in your Poser directories, but alterring them doesn't seem to change anything.

anxcon ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 5:41 PM

aww damn :( o well

williamsheil ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 6:17 PM

It defintely is "possible" since I did this a few years ago in P5 as part of an experiment, but not in an elegant way. I can think of a few new techniques that may I may try again in the near future as I can see some benefit in commercial terms, but not likely as a useable public product. There are a lot of issues that would probably make it impractical, such as a likely inability to load or resave the nodes in convential pz3 files. However for arccos/sin/tan and other linear functions it occurs to me that one thing you may want to try is using a colorramp node as a lookup table. The value input is fed into a closed spline curve and the output is the blended result of the colour values. So far as I can tell it is possible with most colour nodes to set the value outside the normal 0-1.0 RGB values, so long as you connect them to external (scalar) channels. Arctan (IIRC) goes to inifinite values at +-90 degrees so it may be an idea to output the logarithm from the lookup and feed that into a power node. I think it should be possible to get a couple of significant digits accuracy across most of the input range. Bill

anxcon ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 6:49 PM

so it is possible to make new nodes?O_o

ynsaen ( ) posted Mon, 30 January 2006 at 11:30 PM

Theoretically, yes. If you are capable of effectively decompiling the software in order to make the determination of what constitutes a node. Realistically, since an actual node is coded directly into the core, no. Not unless a shader SDK is released.

thou and I, my friend, can, in the most flunkey world, make, each of us, one non-flunkey, one hero, if we like: that will be two heroes to begin with. (Carlyle)

anxcon ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2006 at 12:20 AM

grr just when my hopes started to go up :( they should make that node making kit for P7 :P

williamsheil ( ) posted Tue, 31 January 2006 at 3:14 AM

Decompilation of the code is actually breach of licence and doing so will get you into a lot of trouble. I also have serious doubts about whether it's actually any more efficient than other legitimate application modification techniques. In any case it's certainly not necessary, but, as I said, the practical aspects of adding new nodes at least for the general user base outside a dedicated studio are probably insurmountable. Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.