Mon, Sep 23, 4:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Lightwave to Vue Infinite object import problem

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2006 at 12:51 AM · edited Mon, 23 September 2024 at 4:24 PM

file_333257.jpg

I wonder if someone of you know the magic recipe for correctly import lightwave objects into VI.

I've made lot's of test trying to import one Dystopia City Block (.LWO version. The mesh load fine, but the textures are totally out of scale as showed in the sample image.

Disabling "resize and center imported object" as suggested in some post did not help. Also converting the mesh as .3ds or .obj using Deep Exploration was a failure.

Any help really appreciated!

Mario

Message edited on: 03/13/2006 00:51

surveyman ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2006 at 10:31 AM

Have you tried changing the scale of the textures? Disabling "Resize & Center Imported Object" may work on the mesh, but I am not sure if it affects the textures. You may need to apply the textures manually.

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2006 at 10:48 PM

Thanks for your answer. The manual texture rescaling is a thing that I try to avoid because each block have 40 ~ 50 textures / materials applied, importing many blocks into a scene result in a near endless texturing operation. But I start to believe there is no other way, sigh!

megalodon ( ) posted Mon, 13 March 2006 at 11:14 PM

This has been a problem since Vue5I was released. There is no simple and easy answer. You can create a UV map in LW and bake the textures - which is probably the best solution. I feel your pain. I had contacted tech support regarding this issue and it was never satisfactorily resolved - we just have to live with the workaround.

Oh well....

Megalodon

surveyman ( ) posted Tue, 14 March 2006 at 12:17 AM

Is it then possible to load the model in VUE4PRO and create a VOB, then use the VOB in VUE5Inf and have the textures properly applied?

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Tue, 14 March 2006 at 2:50 PM

I've just finished a timewasting and frustrating conversion / import attempt. A cityblock was loaded in RightHemisphere DeepExploration and exported in various format .3ds, .obj+.mat, lwo 5 and 6, .cob Vue import was a total failure, the object look always different, probably the best result come from the .obj+.mat version, but it's too far from how the model look in Lightwave... Another way is to load the object in Vue and rescale each texture from 1.0 to 0.1 + rescaling each bump depth channel to 0.1. but again, the mesh look far from reality. I'm not happy about how Vue handle object import, I hope the E-On coders will soon put the hand in Vue import routine.

megalodon ( ) posted Tue, 14 March 2006 at 3:24 PM

I wouldn't put much hope in E-On fixing this problem. I know Vue5I has had the problem - along with Vue4 and Vue4Pro. LW textures (as far as I know) have NEVER been imported properly. I don't think that you will find ANY way to import the objects along with textures into Vue5I.

From what I can see, you have two options:

1. as I said above, create a UV map and bake the texture, or
  2. synch LW with Vue which essentially renders LW objects in LW and Vue objects in Vue

For #2, you can use your LW objects as proxy objects in Vue to layer your vegetation and when ready to render, make them invisible or remove them. There is a thread over at Spinquad that clearly illustrates how to do this.

Unfortunately I have had virtually no time to "play" with Vue - the above info was gleaned from other posts on various forums.

Good Luck.

Megalodon

billy-home ( ) posted Tue, 14 March 2006 at 7:05 PM

One of the reasons we released the obj & Poser versions of Moe's Dystopia blocks was to overcome this problem in Vue & other progs with the amount of textures used in each LW set, I think off the top of my head for all 80 blocks there's only 25 textures used for the lot, or there abouts, even then there is still the texture scaling problem in Vue. I do have a set of Vue mat files made up in Vue4 that I use for my own work, but they still need to be applied to the models when they're imported. I'll see if it's okay with the others to package the mat files and textures up and put them up in the freebies section, if the guys agree, and if I get time, I'll try and post them at the weekend, they might help a little. Cheers Billy BTW, there was a .vob version of the commercial blocks in the pipeline, to be released through Cornucopia, but due to some problems with how they are set up to pay the artists, we unfortunately had to put this on hold, I'm still working on doing the free versions for Vue, but that'll take a bit of time due to other commitments, but hopefully there will be Vue native versions eventually.

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 6:43 AM

Thanks all again for the help attempt, really appreciated. Today I've spent another hour in conversion/exporting/importing attempt, a lousy failure... I've a few more question to ask: @billy-home: The native .obj Dystopia models load fine in Vue ? @megalodon: Your uvmap+bake process is hard to apply to models like the cityblock ? Do you have some how-to tips to share ? Cheers, Mario

billy-home ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 12:01 PM · edited Wed, 15 March 2006 at 12:03 PM

Mario, the obj files don't quite load the textures correctly in Vue4, which is all I've got, I've had to knock the scale down just a touch when I've imported them into Vue, if you look at the window textures in the obj files there's window-a, window-b, b1, b2 and so on, b1, b2, etc. are scaled differently on the original models, when Vue imports the models they all become the same size, hence the reason I set up my own mat files, to save myself some time.

Cheers

Billy

Message edited on: 03/15/2006 12:03

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 3:39 PM

That would be really nice to have nataive VOB files for the Dystopia models. It's easy to load the pz3 file and then saving the object, but since I use these only in Vue, it would save me drive space as well as time. Hope to see them soon at Cornucopia! Peggy

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

megalodon ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 4:55 PM

Mario Wrote: Your uvmap+bake process is hard to apply to models like the cityblock ? Do you have some how-to tips to share ?

Unfortunately I haven't used this technique - I've gleaned the info from other forums, probably CGTalk or the E-On forum directly. Personally I've given up on importing those types of model into Vue. I use Lightwave and will be using either the Synch technique (described VERY completely at Spinquad) or wait till xStream for LW shows up.

Then of course I have to find the time to experiment. Just way too busy! ;)

Megalodon

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Wed, 15 March 2006 at 11:01 PM

Thanks both billy-home and megalodon for the answer + support attempt. Mario

SpaceGfx ( ) posted Sun, 19 March 2006 at 11:19 PM · edited Sun, 19 March 2006 at 11:20 PM

file_333258.jpg

Disappointed about the first Lightwave to Vue Infinite Dystopia Cityblocks import attempt, I've made a second try and this time I'm quite sodisfacted, the result look acceptable.

I've then converted into .vob object the entire 70 Lightwave blocks. To speed-up the conversion task I used a keystroke+mouse recorder, this allow a complete object conversion in less than a minute saving thausands mouse click and value change!

The magic value is 0.01 for both mat scale and bump depth.

Message edited on: 03/19/2006 23:20

megalodon ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 1:31 AM

That.... looks absolutely incredible! VERY nice job. I don't think I've seen a more realistic use of these Dystopia Cityblocks. I have to admit I'm not really intimately familiar with them, but this really looks great. The atmosphere, sky and lighting are VERY realistic.

Outstanding work! :) ...and thanks for sharing!

Megalodon

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.