Thu, Sep 19, 10:54 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: TopMod - The free odd looking shape modeler

Rochr ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 5:00 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 10:54 AM

Attached Link: http://www-viz.tamu.edu/faculty/ergun/research/topology/index.html

file_334946.jpg

Heres something cool to play with for those of you who are interested in odd looking 3D sculpting. Its free, and the models can be exported as .obj and rendered in your favourite software. :)

A few examples on what can be done in this PDF:
http://www-viz.tamu.edu/faculty/ergun/research/topology/papers/symmetric.pdf

Ps. make sure to check out the instruction videos

Message edited on: 03/20/2006 17:07

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Pedrith ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 5:08 PM

Why does this have to be windows only? Why can't we mac users get a break.... I'll have to see if I can download it at work....maybe work won't delete it as fast as they deleted wings..... Thanks Rochr. Cheers David:)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 6:21 PM

Ah...that looks SWEET! Thanks man. ;o) AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Mahray ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 6:34 PM

Pedrith - Have you thought of installing it (or wings) on a USB memory stick? I'm not sure if it would work or not, but it should... I'm tempted to try installing Bryce to a USB stick to take to uni, but I don't have a spare atm.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Pedrith ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 6:41 PM

Unfortunately I don't have a usb memory stick, and with the very real threat of my union going out on strike in two weeks, I don't have the cash for one. I wonder if it would run from a cd and i could save the stuff I make onto my work hard drive, with library sounding names.... I'll have to give it a shot. David

AgentSmith ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 10:32 PM

file_334947.jpg

Some weird shapes lurk in those sub-folders. This modeler has GREAT potential, imho. AS

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

bikermouse ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 11:37 PM

Now if I could borrow a minute of your time? Well, I figure that if I could just borrow enough time . . . but then I'd be living on borrowed time . . . and interest rates being what they are . . . Alas, I'll find the time to use it. Thanks Rochr, -TJ

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 20 March 2006 at 11:38 PM

Cool!

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

foleypro ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 12:02 AM

sweet

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 12:42 AM

file_334948.jpg

After just 5 mins with Rudy's directions, although I got lost around the Rind Modeling, then add handle to get the rings....however, I love this modeling app, it's great and easy too!

What was to be a space station, figured I needed to have some idea of where I was going, my mats, rendered in Bryce of course...=)

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 1:12 AM

Wow, Zhann! Fantastic!

sackrat ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 1:33 AM

Too Cool ! Thanks Rochr.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 1:59 AM

I would like to know how the Rind modeling works, and how Rudy got the rings to go through the openings... but with a little practice I should be able to get some really bizarre shapes, maybe some regular ones too!

Flak ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 3:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Rudy. Now I just need to find some time to play. Zhann - wow :)

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

Gog ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 3:51 AM

Oooohhh, new toy, can't wait to d/l when I get home from work.

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 3:55 AM

It seems to want to quit on me using XP. the first mistake and pop it is gone. I might just have to reboot it or be more careful. I'll try it again later.

Rochr ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 5:14 AM

Actually, i havent had much time playing with the program yet. I merely spent about 15 minutes on it so far. The image is one taken from the PDF, so i cant take any credit for it. But i see that some of you are already producing great stuff with it. :)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 5:53 AM
Forum Moderator

Ooh new shiny stuff. Of course this will have to be scrutinised by the Cardinals....there's enough heresy and treason about at the mo.....

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 6:52 AM

I found out I needed to "unblock" all the files - New (to me) security feature in SP2. The program is stable now, I got something really neat but I lost it when trying to save. Oh well . . . tommorrow's another day. I also found that it would import other .objs so the potential is there to do some really wierd stuff. I think this program was done in Linix or some other not-windows OS judging by the way the save feature works. Did anyone else notice on the videos that the good Doctor sounds like Governor Swartzanuggie? THanks again Rochr! I haven't had this much fun for at least a month!! Zhannm if I could get to the point where you are with it I'd be happy. - TJ 8:)

attileus ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 7:24 AM

Hm, it looked good in the video but my first impression is negative when testing this prog in real life... 1) I can't move the object in any direction (as in Wings which I can handle); I push all the mouse buttons in different sets (right, left, both, middle) - nada! Is that an intuitive way to move the object? 2) Can't find the "Export object" button on the Save menu; I only get corrupt/unknown files when saving. (I have WinXP on my laptop) They must be joking not to implementing an "export" button! Phew, back to Wings...

Zhann ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 2:28 PM · edited Tue, 21 March 2006 at 2:33 PM

To move or enlarge the object hold down the alt key and either right-click-drag to enlarge or left click-hold to move it around.....

Sorry Rudy, and here I thought the screen cap was instructions,LOL, well they were fairly straight forward and your tuts are always a breeze to learn, my bad....;)

I also DL the PDF and was wadeing slowly through that, very technical stuff....

I'm on XP home, and only had one disappearing window happen, then I decided to slow down....

Message edited on: 03/21/2006 14:33

Flak ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 3:11 PM

Unplugged the caffiene drip, eh Zhann? ;)

Dreams are just nightmares on prozac...
Digital WasteLanD

attileus ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 5:57 PM · edited Tue, 21 March 2006 at 6:11 PM

Thanks Zhann; indeed it works; the main problem is that I can't save the object. When I save it I only get a corrupt file with 0 kb so I wonder how did you save properly?

I believe that there is a bug somewhere; you usually click the "export" button in order to get a correct file but this software only saves in a strange way without export, grrr. 2) Dohh, I got it! I have to name the object correctly when saving; i.e. myobject.obj - the prog won't add the correct ending automatically: (.obj) Thanks!

Message edited on: 03/21/2006 18:11

tjohn ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 6:18 PM

file_334949.jpg

Figured out how to do everything except that rind deal. :^)

This is not my "second childhood". I'm not finished with the first one yet.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

"I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather....not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handy

bikermouse ( ) posted Tue, 21 March 2006 at 8:25 PM

file_334950.jpg

Mouse is not getting it???

marcfx ( ) posted Wed, 22 March 2006 at 11:35 AM

Oh how little programmes please great artists....I can see this being used in a lot of upcoming images in here. Thanks Rochr. nice heads up. Marc

Smile, your dead a long time :)

ysvry ( ) posted Wed, 22 March 2006 at 8:48 PM
catlin_mc ( ) posted Thu, 23 March 2006 at 10:39 PM

I've been so bored recently and this looks like it just might get me out of the doldrums. Thanks for the link Rudy, it should bring some fun into my adventures with Bryce. 8) Catlin

Zhann ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 2:15 AM

This php stuff is really weird, I'm looking at 14 posts with my image in them.....=| or is it just me...?

matrixmode ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 3:11 AM

Finally found this thread.

Thanks for turning us onto this very cool program Rochr!!!  I've been having a blast with it.

I've created about a dozen sculptures in .obj format, one of which will be available in Freestuff pending approval.  About a week I guess?  In the meantime if you'd like to see it please click on my profile to the left.  It's in an image called "My First Model".

If anyone would like this object in .obp format I'll be glad to send it to you.  Although I had no problem importing it into Bryce 5.5.  :)

Also you may be able to download this directly from my artist page.

Let me know if you like it or not.  Many more to follow!!!

Thanks again, Rochr!!!  :D

For those about to download it I salute you.  :)

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

ellocolobo ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 3:34 PM

Great...Now Im going to ave to put a PC in the mens room instead of magazines...:}

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 6:42 PM · edited Tue, 08 August 2006 at 6:43 PM

Oooh, this is too cool, thanks for bringing it up to the front!

Now I can render knots on the water, instead of spheres. :tt2: 😉

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

matrixmode ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 7:14 PM

Nothing wrong with SOWs.  :)

It'd be cool to see a few KOWs though!  lol  :D

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 8:20 PM

If there was something wrong with SOW's, I'd have to go to SOW's Anonymous, or a detox of some sort. I have a whole series of them from couple of years ago that I don't dare to post.

Actually, in an HD crash, I lost a lot of the renderings about 6 months ago, but not the bryce files, so I'm redoing a lot of them. :biggrin:

matrixmode ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 8:33 PM

Please!  Post those SOWs.  :)  I can never get enough of them.  Their beauty is in their simplicity.  I'd love to see them!

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 08 August 2006 at 9:01 PM

I got couple of them up in my gallery, more to come... it's that one image per day thing.

I love the simple images, they tend to make you think.
My last digression into very simple is a twist I did on a rubik's cube I saw someone rendered couple of weeks ago.
So I thought I'd make a cube of all the same color, set it into a sort of a logo-like pose, that thing so many of us look up to... painted all one color. I was thinking, perfect logo for a "one size fit's all" Engineering firm... or um, a software company... cutting too many corners and imposing one solution for everyone.
Resemblance to any RL businesses is purely coincidental, but I'm sure more then one may feel self conscious. HA!

Anyway, I have a twisted sense of humor  ;)

I just looked over your gallery, your work is beautiful!

Time to go and pick out an image to post today...

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 9:45 AM

what tickles me is someone's already posted an object from this as a freebie..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

draculaz ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 9:54 AM

aw man, dew-sabin subdivision.. oldschool :D

attileus ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 2:44 PM · edited Wed, 09 August 2006 at 2:46 PM

Whatever "easy modeling software" (Blender, SketchUp, AC3D...) I try I always end up with Wings3D; nowadays I can crank out a simple spaceship in Wings in seconds despite of lack of modeling talent... lol

pakled ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 8:41 PM · edited Wed, 09 August 2006 at 8:42 PM

done some playing, nothing this nice yet..;) but...I think I found the fm..it's hard to use tfm, if you can't rtfm..;)
And don't worry Atelius..crankin' out spaceships is one of the things Wings do well..

matrixmode ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 11:09 PM

"what tickles me is someone's already posted an object from this as a freebie..;)"

wow!  That was quick.  :)

runs off to pick the next one to upload

Gog ( ) posted Thu, 10 August 2006 at 6:00 AM

Attached Link: linky to my latest topmod image....

I love this thing, it's another great one to have lurking around like knotplot, but at the moment I just keep on playing

----------

Toolset: Blender, GIMP, Indigo Render, LuxRender, TopMod, Knotplot, Ivy Gen, Plant Studio.

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 11 August 2006 at 8:15 PM

ok..for anybody who's still on lesson 1 like me: here's the first pic at the top explained..;)

1. Initial Shape- File|Open|Cube (There's a boatload of shapes to choose from)

2. Doo Sabin Subdivision- Group (remeshing), Remeshing(4-Conversion Schemes) 4-Conversion
        Schemes (Doo-Sabin) Perform Remeshing.

3. Cubical Extrusions - Group (Extrusions), Extrude (Cubical Extrude), then tap on the faces (twice
        in the Example)

4. Add handle- Group (high genus Modeling), High Genus Modeling ( Add Hole/Handle), tap on 2
        faces (works like Bridge in Wings, if you know Wings) Which face you pick first will affect
        how they join.

5. Doo Sabin Again- see step 2. However, my model gets a lot more faces at this point.

6. Rind modeling- looks like Group (High Genus Modeling), High Genus Modeling (Rind modeling-
        scaling). Create crust (Rind modeling, if I read right, sort of affects the outer edges of the
        model)

7. Again Add handle- this is where I get lost. Same as above, but I expect that it depends on which  faces you choose.

8. Catmull-Clark Subdivision- Group (Remeshing), Remeshing (4-Conversion Schemes),
        4-Conversion Schemes (Select Remeshing Scheme) Select Catmull-Clark, Perform
        remeshing (the more complex the object, the longer it starts to take)

Couldn't find 'subdivision surface'..any ideas?

adrianharrison ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 7:42 AM

adrianharrison ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 7:44 AM · edited Mon, 21 August 2006 at 7:45 AM

OH.  MY. GOD.  As someone who loves 'weird' this looks SO cool. Anyone know were i can get some cool organic textures to go with it?

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 10:42 AM

depends on if you want Bryce mats or jpgs..let us know, plenty of each.

adrianharrison ( ) posted Mon, 21 August 2006 at 11:03 AM

I prefer to work with bryce mats. I keep thinking of Gieger when I look at what can be done with this prog.

adrianharrison ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 6:17 AM

Had a play last night.  Tried loading a poser head obj and it did not like it one bit. program froze on me everytime i tried loading.  Also, how do i stop it falling over?

adrianharrison ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 6:45 AM

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

CRASHED AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 10:24 AM

Which Poser body/head? Daz> (V3,M3,A3, etc)..you're talking beaucoup polygons der, ma fren'..;)  Even Wings chokes on a lot of Poser characters.

Adrianharrison- IM me with an email addy and I'll send you a list of about 60 mat sites..should keep you going for the first coupla thousand of 'em..;)

adrianharrison ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 11:56 AM

mmmm.  I have heard tale of a polygon reducer. anyone else know of one?

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.