Sat, Aug 3, 3:03 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 31 8:13 pm)

Subject: Poser Freezing when creating .bum files?

TygerCub ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2001 at 7:21 PM ยท edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 12:27 AM

Anyone else had this problem? This is a new one to me. I've had trouble lately with it not wanting to render after applying a new texture, transparency map or bump map, but if I shut the program down and retried a few times, it would eventually come back. Now the darn thing won't even make a .bum map at all! It locks up completely! What's with this lock-up trend? I've read several posts in the past, but no one seems to have a clear explanation. 1) Poser is the only program open at the time. 2) I pull up a "clean" figure... one that is preset to be completely white & has worked without problems in the past. 3) I apply textures under the render option in Materials. Apply a skin texture I've used in the past with no problems. 4) Load a black & white texture for the bump map & choose yes when it asks if it should make the .bum file. 5) Wait 6) Wait some more 7) Ctrl, Alt, Del & kill the program 8) Start again, getting more and more frustrated. As I've said before, the longer I mess with this program, the worse the performance seems to get. I'm NOT giving it up, though because I love it too much. This is supposed to be FUN... not aggrevating. Anyone ever come up with a solution to this mess??? TygerCub

BlueRain ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2001 at 9:42 PM

yes it does freeze up for a few minutes if your image file is like more then 1024x756 in size, just wait a few minutes, It should come back up after awhile when the file is completed.

TygerCub ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2001 at 11:47 PM

Oh, if only it were that simple! I've left it OVERNIGHT and still it remains frozen. I've come to listen for the warning signals from my computer that it no longer wants to "crunch" that particular file and thus know when to Ctrl,Alt,Del the bugger. File size shouldn't be an issue because I'm using .jpg files for my texture/bump/transparency maps that are saved at low resolution (2 or 3 vs. the 8 to 10 it can be) just to expressly keep the size down. TygerCub (sigh... toodles off to fuss at computer some more)

Photopium ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2001 at 11:44 AM

When you get this kind of hang up, there is little else you can do other then a full shut down, wait a good ten seconds, then reboot the PC. Also, this will sound ridiculous, but sometimes I have to convert the jpg into a pure bitmap and even though it's larger that way, it gets read right away and everything's fine. WTB

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.