Sat, Sep 21, 10:34 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: wireframe not showing

nick1 ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2006 at 1:47 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:19 PM

Hi All, I am not able to do something that I used to be able to do in version 4 and also when starting in version 5 Infinite. Before when I imported an object and chose wireframe display,the selected object used to turn red and the rest of the objects where shown in black color wireframe. Just now I imported a 3DS object like a simple box/room with couple of opennings/windows, but when I select the camera to be able to move it within the imported box, I could not see the wireframe box in any of the ortho views except the rendering view port( lower right hand corner). When I go to options the display is set to Hardware Acceleration and changing it to the other two options does not do anything. The only way I can still see the imported object while the camera is selected is to display the imported object in "wireframe box" mode which I don't want since it does not display all the openings. Am I doing something wrong? What setting do I need to change to get it back to, when an object is selected you can still se the other objects in black or non-selected color( all in wireframe mode of course)? I really appreciate this. Nick

FuzzyVizion ( ) posted Fri, 07 April 2006 at 10:54 PM

I'm having the same problem... hope someone knows why that is... I too remember this working fine before, but now, not good... I just adjust the camera a bit, then wait for the preview. Have you tried resetting all options to default? I haven't tried this yet... on my trial version at home, I can see the model fine, but in V5i full version at work, I just get a black box. sorry I can't be more help.

nick1 ( ) posted Sat, 08 April 2006 at 3:17 PM

Hi FV, Well you can have different display settings as you know. I usually set mine to "wireframe" and all the orthagonal view ports show the objects in wireframe except the lower right view port whcih displays the rendered image. Somehow as I mentioned it worked fine in v4.x, but in V5i is acting a bit strange. Yes I tried setting all to default, but no go. Are we the only ones having this problem? It is just puzzeling me how you can move your camera around or inside your imported model if in wireframe mode your imported object does not display( while camera is selected of course)in the default black color! I recently got a super computer and my video card is the top of the line Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 and when you press the test button for the video card it says that is is working well. So I have no idea what is going on. Trial and error i guess would be the call of the day. If anyone know please help. Thanks, Nick

FuzzyVizion ( ) posted Mon, 10 April 2006 at 10:27 PM

Nick, I posted this to e-on's tech support, if they give me a solution (i'm not holding my breath) i'll be sure to post it right away.

FuzzyVizion ( ) posted Tue, 11 April 2006 at 11:56 PM

file_337832.png

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

The e-on software support technician responded:

This is probably the automatic scene simplification system, which tries to maintain a given instant frame rate when manipulating the scene.

To disable it: open the general options dialog, go to the display tab, uncheck the "Maintain instant draw frame rate" option, and raise instant draw quality until your model appears normally.

I TRIED IT AND IT WORKED FOR ME... had a little trouble finding the slider to which he referred... but I'm attaching a picture for your assistance.

nick1 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:29 AM · edited Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:32 AM

file_338145.jpg

FV,

Thank you so much for looking into this. I did try what you mentioned and still no go. Not only I disabled the "maintain instant.....", I copied exactly what your picture showed for all parameters under the display tab and still no go. The only thing I can think of that might have caused this could be right after I tried something with EcoSystem. Right after that I have been having this problem and it does not go away even though I have uninstalled and re-installed the app couple of times.

Thanks anyway for your efforts. I will have to wait and see. here is an image if I can post one.

Well, as you see in the attached image file, when the camera is selected, the object is not displayed in black color, but you can see the object in the rendered view port. All the display tab parameters are the same as what you had on yours.

Thanks again,

Nick

lingrif ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 6:14 AM

It may be model dependent.  Some models that I've imported come in beautifully in wireframe, others are almost invisible.  I've been able to improve it using that slider mentioned above, but some models just won't play nicely. 

Lin

www.lingriffin.com

nick1 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 12:45 PM

Lin, Thank you for your input. It is a bit strange since I never had any such problem with version 4.x and even when initially started on v5. I'll figure it out one way or another.

Nick

nick1 ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:09 PM

Well Lin, you might be so right. I just made a model in SketchUp and exported it as a 3ds file and everything showed up perfectly and when I select the camera, sure enough I can see the other object in black color. The previous model was modeled in Wings3d and I also exported it as a 3ds file and when imported into Vue, it would not show. I guess there is something about the way wings3d exports 3ds files. It is probabely the latest release issue because I did not have this on their last release, but then again that is another story.

Thanks again.

FuzzyVizion ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 9:22 PM · edited Sat, 15 April 2006 at 9:25 PM

Nick,

In the settings you posted you have 'open GL SOFTWARE' checked... this always caused me to crash out of VUE instantly...   Did you try HARDWARE open GL?  Was it a problem for you?  What are your machine's specs?

(plus, working w/ ecosystems crashes for me if I add a new species into the mix, or if I do any major change, then try to rotate the camera... boom... bye bye Vue5i... I think that's why I UNCHECK 'apply texture maps to plans' in the option box.)

also, maybe try enabling background draw thread, and increase the slider to be greater than your instant draw?  (I'm not hopeful about this option, but it's worth a shot.)

nick1 ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 7:16 PM

Hi FV- Yes I tried the file with all those settings as far as open gl. Somehow when I import the 3ds file which was exported from Wings3d into Vue 4.x, everything works well regardless which display setting I use, but when importing the same 3ds file into Vue5i, it would only show it in "wireframe box" and " shaded" mode and not in "wireframe" mode. I think somehow Wings3d's 3ds format might not be compatible with Vue5i's wireframe display mode.

My compute specs:

Windows XP Pro.64 bit,Intel Dual xeon Dual Core 3.2 Ghz, 4 GB of Ram, Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 with 512 MB of video ram, and so many other stuff that my computer guy knows more about. I just upgraded from XP Pro. 32 bit and I also had the same problem . On e-on site, it claims that all the Nvidia Quadro graphic cards are recommended and works well and when I click the "test" button under File>Option>Display tab to test the video card, it says that it is working well, but when I start the program, it says that "my video board is not found on the list of qualified hardware....". How can that be?

Thanks again FV,

Nick

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.