Tue, Oct 22, 5:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 20 11:30 am)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: BUY HEXAGON 2 FOR $1.99!!!

bikermouse ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 2:45 AM

Imagine if you will heightmapping not on a plane such as Bryce terrain editor but rather on a 3d object. you could draw 3d features on a spheroid - a 3d object similar to Claymore's avatar could be created this way fairly quickly. 

so is uvmapping really that slow ?????

An actual example created with h2 would be nice. Less see ...if I get a VISA Gift card get a PC membership with it, borrow my neighbor's  or a friend's Highspeed IC to download it and take an entire weekend to learn I should be able to put something together by Frog Jumps... but by then...hopefully someone with more talent will post. -TJ

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:21 AM

Quest;

UVMapper...uvmaps. It's very good and affordable.

Hexagon is a multiple technique, 3D modeling app that also uvmaps & textures.

I actually, don't think they are really within the same "group" to compare side by side, although (obviously) comparisons can be made from UVMapper to Hexagons uvmapping workflow.

Yet as Brycetech basically states, it wouldn't be the first time we all have used more than one program to accomplish what we want to do. I don't think anyone is betraying Stephen, by adding hexagon to their toolset, imho. UVMapper is a solid app, and when everything calms down again, it will continue to stand on its own, I'd bet.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:38 AM

From the potential demonstrated by the demo videos on Eovia's site I would have to say that Hexagon2  intrigues me like no other modeler in or out of its price range, so yeah, I would have somehow justified paying the SRP. I am almost delerious about soon getting it for little more than the cost of a Platinum Club membership! I imagine Hexagon will undergo "growing pains", and may have a few bugs, but if DAZ has any inkling of what they've got here, as far as the potential of both Carrara and Hexagon, they will keep the development teams busy at their usual brisk pace. 

The demo makes it look as if the basic polymodeler is a "box modeler" similar to Wings, though with a different manipulator, and interface. The displacement brushes allow you to take that basic box model and add tremendous amounts of organic detail ala ZBrush, and the 3D texture painting program's basic engine is based on Genetica Pro. You can import your own textures as well, if I remember correctly. and paint the model while rotating it in 3D ala Bodypaint, or the old Painter3D.

Now, if we can export the displacement and texture maps like ZBrush and apply them to a lower poly mesh that has been boned and rigged in Carrara, we can make tremendously detailed and convincing animations or stills.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 4:01 AM

"3D texture painting program's basic engine is based on Genetica Pro"

-Wow, very cool! I was impressed with Genetica.

"Now, if we can export the displacement and texture maps......." (etc)

Ever since I saw ZBrush do that, I just knew this process would be a "future" for 3D and its programs. I'm sure you are right, if Hexagon can't do this yet, I'm sure it will soon.

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 5:52 AM

Yeah, I was pretty jazzed about Genetica Pro, and to have it built into Hexagon2 is a huge plus in my book. One of the announced features was being able to generate normal maps, which could come in real handy for game, or real-time display design. I think your imagination would be the limit as far as the applications possible with this technology! 

Erlik ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 6:12 AM

Quote - I would have to say that Hexagon2 intrigues me like no other modeler in or out of its price range

Judging by the features, the only thing that looks like it is the upcoming Modo 201. But Modo 103 costs $695 with the intro discount. Otherwise it's $895.

-- erlik

robertzavala ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 9:27 AM

hey marcfx, I was confused about the availability of a Mac version too, so I called them. It's just a typo. The Mac version is available.

marcfx ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 9:36 AM

Quote - hey marcfx, I was confused about the availability of a Mac version too, so I called them. It's just a typo. The Mac version is available.

Now thats good news for Macs............. :)

Smile, your dead a long time :)

Zhann ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 5:49 PM

Geez, why do they always do stuff like this, when I can't do anything about it....no Hexagon modeling for me......=(

Bryce Forum Coordinator....

Vision is the Art of seeing things invisible...

skiwillgee ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 7:34 PM

Well, I bought into it.  I'll give you a review fm an amatuers viewpoint in about a month.  (7 hour down load).  I'm so freaking poor I can't let it sit on the shelf unused.  I'll have to justifiy the purchase.

Now here's something funny.  I opted for the burn to cd and it let me.  I got the confirmation via email for the purchase and burn.  Then I went to download site and it was available there also.  I downloaded while I slept.  I'll be curious to see if I get a cd in mail also.  If not Daz owes me.

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 8:41 AM

Quote - 2MB Broardband and it will take mine 31HOURS at 3.38 KB/sec !!

DAZ is VERY SLOW!!

Seems Daz has speeded up somewhat, I just downloaded it and it just took 1 hour 38 mins and 29 secs, (me got 2meg Broadband like you marcfx)

(rubbing hands gleefully at a nice shiny new (and h£llishly cheap!!! at $1.99) modelling prog with extras... oooohhhhhh! not bothering to wipe away the drool, too excited!)

I wonder what Daz will do with Carrara? ( eyes begin to gleam hopefully)

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Incarnadine ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 7:33 PM

Fran- what would you need with Carrara?! I'm bleeding jealous over your Cinema package! (grin)

Pass no temptation lightly by, for one never knows when it may pass again!

skiwillgee ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 8:22 PM

Due to the fact that we are selling a boxed version of Hexagon 2.0 in late summer. The download version is not available for a CD burn. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. I will credit back your credit card the amount of the burn and shipping costs.

Sincerely,

Cindy

Office Manager

DAZ Productions

Well that answers the question about burn to cd.  At least I get money back.

CorwinRathe ( ) posted Mon, 01 May 2006 at 9:20 PM

Anyone have trouble with it overriding your system mouse speed settings? As soon as it fires up my mouse speed slows down to a crawl...

ysvry ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 1:52 AM

I want to buy this too but can't because daz doesn't take paypal as currency for the platinum club membership fee and i dont have a credit card :(

Is anyone in here willing to help me?

for some free stuff i made
and for almost daily fotos

Bea ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 2:07 AM

Are you trying to do a monthly one. I know that DAZ does us paypal for the annual one. You could always buy yourself a gift certificate and then use that to buy the membership :)

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 2:29 AM

"The Platinum Club Monthly Membership can only be purchased with Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express. Paypal is not available as a payment option because of the automatic monthly renewal feature"

"The Platinum Club Annual Membership can only be purchased with Paypal, Discover, American Express or a gift certificate"

ysvry ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 5:55 AM

yes i just wanted a one month membership as im not intrested in objects made by others and thats whats mostly on sale if i'm correct?

maybe a member can buy 2 and sell one to me with profit lol?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 6:05 AM

Just posting that to have it from the horses mouth, I had to re-read it to get it straight in my mind once and for all, lol.

I believe Hexagon is only $1.99 for the first instance, any more is going to be full price. I also believe that in this specific ($1.99) sale, the software will not be transferable.

DAZ forums would be the best place to ask, I'm just going off a blur of hundreds of threads that I've speed read the past week.

Bea ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 7:37 AM

Quote - Just posting that to have it from the horses mouth, I had to re-read it to get it straight in my mind once and for all, lol.

I believe Hexagon is only $1.99 for the first instance, any more is going to be full price. I also believe that in this specific ($1.99) sale, the software will not be transferable.

DAZ forums would be the best place to ask, I'm just going off a blur of hundreds of threads that I've speed read the past week.

You are correct you can only ever buy one copy at the Platinum Club price and their Eula does not allow you to transfer it to anyone else (I believe)

xenic101 ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 7:50 AM

Quote - > Quote - Just posting that to have it from the horses mouth, I had to re-read it to get it straight in my mind once and for all, lol.

You are correct you can only ever buy one copy at the Platinum Club price and their Eula does not allow you to transfer it to anyone else (I believe)

And Bea is correct, The PC discount is only good the first time you purchase a product. (Course you can always request your d/l's be reset if you need to.) And DAZ has a fairly unique EULA in that the content/software is licenced to the user, not the machine. So you can install it wherever, as long as you are the only one to use it. And is non-transferable.

ysvry ( ) posted Tue, 02 May 2006 at 6:17 PM

so can i transfer my money to someone  with credit card to buy me a membership? this all seems overly complicated and for what? otherwise i stick with 3d blender the box modeling is quite similar for what i saw from the sample movies.

nruddock ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2006 at 10:53 AM

UPDATE
DAZ are allowing CD Burns on Hexagon orders until the 2.1 update is ready -> http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=36082&start=72

Anybody on dialup that hasn't download yet, might want to contact them to enquire about obtaining a burn retrospectively.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.