Tue, Oct 22, 6:22 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: BUY HEXAGON 2 FOR $1.99!!!

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 2:13 PM
Online Now!

You are not allowed to buy anything for someone else at DAZ.

A couple of suggestions:

Find someone local who can buy things online.  Give them money, and have them buy you a DAZ gift certificate.  (You will need to buy a Platinum Club membership and Hexagon, so it will be more than $2.)  Maybe a friend or a relative?  They don't have to know anything about Poser to buy you a gift certificate.

Become a DAZ broker.  They will pay you in money you can spend in their store. 

bushi ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:04 PM

Wow! I lucked out twice. Today is the last day of my PC membership. I decided to drop it because I hadn't been using it for the last 6 months or so. Did have trouble DLing but only took two tries to get it. First try said it would take 1 day and 8 hours but tanked after about an hour. Second try only took about 15 minutes to finish. Seems I'll spend the afternoon trying out the new toy. :-)

diolma ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:16 PM · edited Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:19 PM

Attached Link: http://market.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2645490

WAIT!!!!

Before you all go charging off to DAZ, please read this thread. You may be getting more than you expected...

I'm only trying to give a warning about a virus that DAZ may or may not be infected with. But it doesn't hurt to check out whether the smoke comes from a fire or not...

Cheers,
Diolma

Jcleaver ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 3:19 PM

Bar-code,  What you might try is find someone who pre-ordered who is also a PC member and have them transfer the copy they bought from Eovia to you, in turn they could then buy the PC version.  I asked this of Bob Stockwell last night and he said that was fine.

As to someone wanting to own 2 copies, the EULA allows one to install on as many PCs as you want, providing you are the only user.  Also per Bob.

anxcon ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:09 PM

i bought it :P but umm wheres the serial? neither my emails or daz account page show =/

sandman_dreaming ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:16 PM

Have just downloaded Hexagon successfully...after all the tales of horrrendous download times  I was going to wait till early in the morning to start the download (when the USA is asleep!), but couldn't resist trying now. Anyway, took me 1h26m....and the serial number was waiting for me in an email. Looks like DAZ have maybe increased their available bandwidth to take account of the increased demands on their servers.

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:27 PM
Online Now!

They did.  Someone said they added 10 more servers to the usual 25 to 35.

hemi426 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 4:57 PM

I just downloaded it with 120KB/sec (maximum for my DSL Line)

Larry F ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:07 PM

Anyone besides me having installation issues with Hexagon 2 DL?  I keep getting "Unknown compression error (sic)" starting with files ending in .mov, then "Data/Rewrite failures" and so forth.

Have downloaded twice, tried on 3 different PCs, same thing.

Thanks in advance.

Larry F

PS:  Windows XP home latest, lots of ram, etc.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:11 PM

Mmmm my last post got lost somewhere on the everlasting datafields ..

So ill do it once more: 

Just a Question is it a real full version Hex 2 or a "update" that you need Hex 1 aswell....

Thnx Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

blondbear1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:12 PM

Yes, I bought it........couldn't afford not to.

Even with a broadband connection, only getting a 3 k connection. I can wait. and if neccesary will request a reset............

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:15 PM
Online Now!

This is the real, full version.

It is download-only.  If you want a physical copy, you have to wait until "early summer."  And pay a lot more, presumably.

hemi426 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:17 PM

No, it's a full version. I found my key for Hexagon 2.0 on my DAZ account page.
Installation worked fine for me (WinXP Pro SP1A 2GB RAM).

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 5:22 PM

Well .................. SOMEBODY just made my day then...

I'm not in the habbit of kissing men but ... i can hugg this men for a week :-}

I'm tottaly stunned by some members of this community, realy i am.....

After i stopped shaking from joy im gonna figure out how to get hex 2  on my PC :}

Chris... 

Damn what a great people do we have on this planet.....

Chris

My Free Stuff

blondbear1 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 6:04 PM

They added more servers..........I just downloaded it in 20 min.

PapaBlueMarlin ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 7:44 PM

Is this software easy to use?  I'm just asking because I've always wanted to create content, but never really had the knack for either modelling or texturing.  Also are there advantages such as better lighting for poser scenes?

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 7:50 PM · edited Fri, 28 April 2006 at 7:53 PM

Took me 45 min. last night. I must have snuck in somehow. I thought it was slow until I read the times here.

There are some BNers over at Daz that are flaming anyone that spent the hundreds of dollars and say something about it. Now that it's mentioned, they have very short joining times too.

May the fleas of a thousnd camels infest thier armpits.

If you like Wings you would like it. It's better than that more options like splines but That is about as close as I can come to explaining. I thought it was very easy to use. It's worth the UV wrap, texture paiting and displacement brush alone for that price.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 7:52 PM

i don't know papabluemarlin ... i'm gonna check it out tomorrow :}

Yes i got it !  in about 15 min. it was here incl serial..

Its Queensday today here in holland and i just got my gift for this year :-}

Now i got to go to sleep 2.49 AM ...

tomorrow im gonna put on my divingsuit and Jump right into hex 2

Chris ...  

Sometime is giving recieving ... like today...

Chris

My Free Stuff

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 8:51 PM
Online Now!

Hexagon is just a modeller.  If you want nice lighting, you have to shell out for Cararra.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:12 PM

...another $1.99

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:46 PM

AgentSmith wrote. "...another $1.99"

Woh, and you thought the $1.99 Hex caused a ruckus.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 9:55 PM

DAZ will have to rent space/time out on some of Bill Gates' servers, lol.

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:03 PM

They need to do something. I tried to look in on the store to see if theymay have the Hex golden pac for sale. I want those extra brushes. But I cant seem to get anywhere. Talk about slow.

freyfaxi ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:07 PM

I'm downloading now.....got 44 %..and it says I still have 26 hrs 30 min to go..at al of 147 kb/sec :( And I'm on dsl...guess the extra servers aren't helping me a bit :(

Tashar59 ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:16 PM

I wonder what the bandwidth will be by the end of the weekend.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:20 PM

I'm waiting a week or so, myself. I have too much keeping me busy anyway.

arcady ( ) posted Fri, 28 April 2006 at 10:58 PM

I ordered the middle of the afternoon today. Maybe 5 or so pm PST. I managed to download it in less than 5-10 minutes. Twice. One PC copy and one MAC copy.

Already burned to CD and installed on both machines.

Won't be using it for another month, but I've got it now, at the $1.99 price (while that lasts), for when I need it.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 12:08 AM

I tried earlier without any problems - about an hour doing 89KB/s on average.  According to some over at DAZ's forums, it may depend on which server you get and when.

Don't (or do) say "Carrara 5 Pro for just $1.99 for PC members"!  If they try a stunt like that (or even nearly), I will definitely invoke my 30-day money back guarantee to return about $600+ on my credit card.. ;P

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 12:12 AM · edited Sat, 29 April 2006 at 12:12 AM

Lol...sorry, I'm TOTALLY kidding about Carrara for $1.99. I have NO idea if DAZ if going to offer any kind of special on any of the versions of Carrara.

NOT even a rumor, its was a total joke. (for ANYONE reading this)

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 12:22 AM

I understood that, but then who would have taken "Hexagon 2.0 for $1.99 to all PC member" as anything but a joke, huh, huh? ;)

BTW: How many avatars do you got there, AS?

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

wheatpenny ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 7:22 AM
Site Admin

I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before i think about getting Hexagon, because I'm really impatient with slow downloads, so I'd be better off to get it after the rush, when the demands on the bandwidth will be much less.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

AgentSmith ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 7:51 AM

I have a few avatars, lol.

Eventually have to decide on one, I guess.

Marque ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 8:10 AM

Hummm I keep unchecking the notify me box and it still sends them....

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 8:37 AM

Quote - Hummm I keep unchecking the notify me box and it still sends them....

I'm hoping that posting a message with the notify box cleared will be enough, because it seems an email is set with evety message posted here, which can get annoying.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 8:44 AM
Online Now!

Click "unsubscribe" instead of unchecking the notify box.  IME, using subscribe/unsubscribe works better, and doesn't bump the thread up for no reason.

Jovial ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 2:36 PM

Hi all,

Got my (bargain) Hexagon 2 and tried it.

It seems a little, well, sort-of glitchy.

First I loaded batlabs free lab coat .obj to see if I could muck about with it. It never appeared.

Second loaded a space 1999 eagle (lightwave obj) and all seemed well. It appeared but then things suddenly ground to a halt (including windows media player running in the background) and when things started again, the Hexagon screen no longer updates. Got bored of this and killed it.

A couple more experiences like this and I might begin to regret spending my $1.99.

Any idea what might be problem? In case it is relevent I have a 3.2GHz P4, 3GB RAM, loads of swap and running on XP home sp2. I was wondering if Hegagon is a bit like Wings3D, in that it does not like big models with lots of facets.

Thanks if ya can offer any advice on making things work or even if you know what Hexagon's limitations are.

nruddock ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 2:39 PM

Check your video card drivers are up to date.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 2:45 PM

jovial wrote:

A couple more experiences like this and I might begin to regret spending my $1.99.

Thanks if ya can offer any advice on making things work or even if you know what Hexagon's limitations are.

Good advice cost more than that usualy..... how can you ever regret 1.99 for a full program...

Normaly you can't get a drink in a cafe for 1.99 ...

Chris

Chris

My Free Stuff

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:19 PM

I find that Hex 2 runs pretty smooth on my machine until I hit 1 to 1.5 million polys.

P 2.8 dual core, 2 gig ddr2. GeForce 6800 PCI, XP Pro.

danamo ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 3:54 PM

I figure that even if some folks don't get into Hexagon2's modeling and displacement tools, they may still find it handy for the UVunwrapping and texture painting tools. Hexagon2 has a built-in texture engine based on Genetica Pro, I believe. You can turn the model in 3D as you are painting and add textures and bmps across seams that wrap perfectly. You could import your model, texture it, and export it with the new maps without ever touching it with the modeler. Hexagon2 is not a "one-trick pony". The closest app with comparable features would be the upcoming Modo 3.0, but that will cost you several $$$'s!

Jovial ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 4:05 PM

OK, video drivers updated and things seem more stable. Thanks for the advice, nruddock. I should have thought - here was me using completely antiquated December'05 video drivers!

Hiya BARcode, I don't regret spending the $1.99 but I might have if the software were essentially too buggy to be used. I have purchased many software packages that did not live up to expectations (or the advertising). It isn't even the $1.99 that is the problem, but rather the time I put into downloading, installing and learning to use it. Fortunately I got much better results this time and Hexagon 2 does look like a very grown up version of Wings3D (which I like) and - at first glance - it sees to be able to handle bigger meshes than Wing3D. As you rightly point out, $1.99 doesn't usually buy very much and the Daz Hex 2 offer seems to be the bargain of the decade. LOL

Now if I can only figure out what it all does.......

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 5:49 PM

Remember also, that the development team is working on version 2.1 with bugfixes and more stability. I'm sure that will be a free update.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 6:19 PM

There are also some display settings - cannot find the thread (over at CGTalk) - that make a difference with Hex 2.

Twist of fortune.  To anyone who says, "yeah, it's $1.99 but I'll never use it", things happen.  What if circumstances forced you to the lowest denominator software and you had nothing but Hexagon for modeling?  If you had nothing, you'd have to go to Wings3D or such (not that that's bad, but you could have had a full modeling application for $1.99 and passed it up for no good reason).  Just remember not to complain about it if it ever happens.  Stranger occurrences have passed.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Shardz ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 9:25 PM

As a previous Hexagon v1.21 user,  I have been waiting for the release of v2.0 and checking every day for it to come out. I don't usually pre-order software, and I'm very glad I didn't in this case! I absolutely love the program and find that the interface and functionality is fantastic for a standalone modeling program. Needless to say, I woke up this morning to see Hexagon 2 on sale for $1.99 and about fell on the floor. That's like buying a new car for $100!

Hexagon isn't for everybody as it's a fairly complex suite of tools for modeling, and now offers some fantastic features that can be found in programs like Z-Brush and Deep Paint 3D (both expensive programs). I think it's fair to say that the userbase for Hexagon 2 will be quite large given this promotion and I hope that Daz continues development on the program in the direction it was meant to go.

I found Hexagon v1.21 fairly intuitive at first, although there is a learning curve of about 8 hours to fully understand how the procedures and methods are applied during modeling, but that's not bad at all versus 3DS Max, Maya, or any other complex program. I find it to be very rewarding and have created some very detailed models that I am pleased with given some 'crash and burn' time invested. Not even being a particular fan of Eovia, I came to discover that the development team involved really cared about what they were creating and offered a great and speedy toolset for modeling complex geometry in a short amount of time. For $1.99, the program is literally a steal and it could open new doors to many users who have been wanting to create content in a professional environment.

Given this outbreak of new 'Hexagoners', I'd really like to see a support group here in the forums to share information and ideas regarding this great program. It's a force to be reckoned with and I'm very pleasantly surprised that Daz gave so many the opportunity to use it.  I was preparing to pay much more for it than I did and now I can put all the money I saved into my gas tank instead!

Get your Hex on!

-Shardz-

CRZhorse ( ) posted Sat, 29 April 2006 at 10:09 PM

I had no trouble downloading the 334meg in Australia last night USA time. It looks very promising.

mickmca ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 6:35 AM · edited Sun, 30 April 2006 at 6:37 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Those of you thinking about joining PC to pay $1.99 for Hex 2 might want to check out the Hex bugs threads over at the Carrara forum. Maybe you "can't go wrong" buying a clunky piece of betaware for $1.99 (personally, I'm not into free debugging and wasting my time), and maybe you can afford to spend $30 on a product that may not even install if you already have Hex 1.21 (even if you know how to use regedit!). If so, maybe I can interest you in some nice partially baked cake? It's flippin nummy!

M
Caution: Post uses language.

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 9:55 AM

I think your advice is off base. Hexagon is a great polygonal modeler, very fast and easy to use. The fast extrude feature, dynamic geometry, line tools, surface tools, symmetry modeling, and universal manipulator all work well. The new displacement painting works really well. That alone is well worth the money. In a month  or  two,  they'll have a FREE patch to fix bugs with painting or whatever.  I've used Hex for hours without any problems. It also has an incremental save feature, great for saving at different stages of your model. After the patch, the price goes back up to $250 or so.  Someone who wants to model, displace, and 3D paint could buy it now and wait for the patch. Then they wouldn't have to "waste" time and do any "free debugging" and they would have a great program for almost nothing. Or, they could buy Z-Brush, BodyPaint, and Modo and do the same thing for maybe what? $1,500 or $2,000. Sounds like you're the one with the "partially baked cake".

obm890 ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 10:30 AM

I had a very frustrating session yesterday, lots of hanging and freezing and error pop-ups, but today it seemed a whole lot smoother, so the world is a sunny place again.

And the tut video commentary is the best part of the whole thing. Did you know a space-cow has corns and a muffle? I didn't until today :)

I'm using ancient Nvidia drivers though (WinXP), I have to because SketchUp hates all new ones. Does anyone know if it's possible to use "driver Rollback" on an ongoing basis? In other words have 2 sets of drivers installed and switch from old to new at will when I switch apps?

Patrick_210 ( ) posted Sun, 30 April 2006 at 11:58 AM

I don't know, but Hex definitely needs the latest drivers to work correctly.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.