Tue, Oct 22, 12:30 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 11:46 am)

Subject: (OT) Favourite "B" Movies

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 12:20 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 4:51 AM

Attached Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060397/plotsummary

Mine is "Fantastic Voyage" from 1966.  For those who haven't seen it, I've attached a link to a summary of the movie.

It stars Rachel Welch, Donald Pleasence. Even James Brolin in one of his early bit parts.

The cinematography and effects were pretty amazing for back then. And it was interesting to see how the various parts of the inside of the body were visually depicted.

What is your favourite "B" Movie to watch?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Letterworks ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 12:40 PM

I've got 2 actually, DEstination Moon and When world's Collide.

THe actors probably wouldn't mean anything to anyone today but they were really great movies fro their time!

mike

DCArt ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 1:22 PM

Attack of the Killer Tomatoes

and

Earth Girls are Easy

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:01 PM

I just watched jackson's "kong". there were some scary scenes in it. but all the scenes were at least 3X too long, hence I hope they come out with a more reasonable version. as far as "b" movies, I liked that one with rex reason, the professor from "gilligan's island", and the guys with big foreheads from metal-luna or something. it's a real laff riot IMVHO.

3dCritter ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:11 PM

Quote - I liked that one with rex reason, the professor from "gilligan's island", and the guys with big foreheads from metal-luna or something. it's a real laff riot IMVHO.

"This Island Earth" - also a favorite of mine. I also got many big laughs from the MST3K Movie version.

That reminds me, has anybody made an "Interositor" prop?

3dCritter

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:19 PM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:24 PM

Quote - That reminds me, has anybody made an "Interositor" prop?

A .COB version resides at www.3dcafe.com in the sci-fi section.  It'll need to be converted to .OBJ before one can import it into Poser.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

replicand ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:28 PM
  1. Plan 9 From Outer Space, dubbed the worst movie of all time. Imagine my joy when I found it on DVD.

2. Forbidden Planet, though not really a B movie, it now appears dated. The special effects were ahead of their time, but now look cheesy.

3. Gigashadow. I still don't know what it was about.

maxxxmodelz ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:34 PM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:35 PM

Without a doubt, 1983's "Hercules", starring Lou Ferrigno!  Watch it, and you will learn there are 4 elements: Night, Day, Matter, and Wind!

Also, Plan 9 From Outer Space by the talentless genius of Edward D. Wood, Jr.  I think he pretty much pioneered B movies.

Tools :  3dsmax 2015, Daz Studio 4.6, PoserPro 2012, Blender v2.74

System: Pentium QuadCore i7, under Win 8, GeForce GTX 780 / 2GB GPU.

jt411 ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 3:43 PM

I'm torn between The Beastmaster and The English Patient.
Then again, Star Wars is technically a B-movie...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 3:47 PM

gigashadow was Lexx, wasn't it? a canadian/german scifi show.

replicand ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:20 PM

Lexx? I'm not familiar with that show. GIgashadow was the sequel to (I believe) a cult film where dark forces are trying to take over the universe.  Pretty straight forward, except the hero is dead though not a zombie whose pet is like a GIANT affectionate maggot, with a gender confused robot and a girl who's trying to prevent the evil dark lords from taking over with slime stuff. Really weird stuff; I can't believe they wasted the celluiod to shoot it. You can find it at Amazon

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:46 PM

yup thats LEXX
in the US, they released the final part of the LEXX miniseries as 'Gigashadow'

as to being a waste.. you want to see the first 5 LEXX episdoes and the first series. it was actually quite brillant...

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:53 PM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:53 PM

btw : the Zombie was Kai, last of the Brunnan-G who has been dead for 2000 years and was an assasian for His Merciful Shadow, who was infact a small part of the Gigashadow, the last remaining Insect left from the wars that the Brunnan-G fought.. and Kai was prophised to kill him/it but had the small technical problem of being dead and reliing on Protoblood (the slime you mentioned) to survive. hence them being back at the Cluster to get some... cos it's a secretion of the Gigashadows. the Girl, Zev, was meant to be converted into a Love Slave, she got the body and sex drive, but before she got the final programming an incident with a cluster lizard made her part cluster lizard, she escaped and gave her final programming to 790 (the bot head) so he fell in love with her. add in the LEXX (the giant bug spaceship under the command of security guard 3rd class Stanley Tweedle) and it got quite insane..

pant everybody got that?

but just watching the last part would'nt make anysense at all... so I can see why you called it a waste.. but trust me.. if you can get parts 1-4 it does make sense.. and it's a bloody good series.. made in Canada and Germany..

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:59 PM

My 2 favourites:

1 - Dammit! I can't dredge up the name!! But it's the one where there about 3/4 guys, stuck in a gungy spacecraft that is blowing up suns and things. They eventually meet something they can't overcome (a ticking time-bomb thingy), and it ends up with one of them "surf-boarding" into oblivion..
(What the h*ll was that one called?????)

2 - Flesh Gordon - loved the special effects!

Cheers,
Diolma

Khai ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:05 PM

1 - Dammit! I can't dredge up the name!! But it's the one where there about 3/4 guys, stuck in a gungy spacecraft that is blowing up suns and things. They eventually meet something they can't overcome (a ticking time-bomb thingy), and it ends up with one of them "surf-boarding" into oblivion..

Dark Star

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:08 PM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:09 PM

Quote - I can't dredge up the name!! But it's the one where there about 3/4 guys, stuck in a gungy spacecraft that is blowing up suns and things. They eventually meet something they can't overcome (a ticking time-bomb thingy), and it ends up with one of them "surf-boarding" into oblivion..

Dark Star, John Carpenter's directorial debut, partly written by Dan(?) O'Bannon (later, screenwriter for the original Alien).  It started as a film school project and then was expanded and released in theaters.  O'Bannon supposedly once said he went on to create Alien to make people scream since they didn't laugh at the beachball critter aboard the Dark Star.

Sincerely,

Bill

(OOPS!  Cross posted with Khai.)

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:15 PM

THANKS Redfern! Really!

Yup. Darkstar! Google didn't come up with it in any of the searches I tried.
The name was on the tip of my mind, but my one remaining brain-cell was on strike..

An Excellent 'B' Movie!!

Wonder if I can get a (legal) free download of it from somewhere..

Cheers,
Diolma

Tunesy ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:21 PM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:22 PM

'The Gods Must be Crazy.'  Hated it when I first saw it (20 years ago?), but it kinda grows on you like a slow moving fungus.  Pleasant rainy Sunday afternoon fare.

diolma ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:37 PM

Oopps - Sorry Khai - I responded to Redfern, but missed your reply. (possibly an X-Post, but also possibly a lack of concentratiion on my part...

But yes. Dark Star it was!

Cheers,
Diolma

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:43 PM

I don't know why, but Robinson Crusoe on Mars..saw it when it came out in a drive-in movie theatre (I was like 7 at the time..;), but I've seen it numerous times since..

Dr. Phibes (both of them)..just wicked fun

There's just too many to list them all. There's a takeoff of Star Wars with John boy from the Waltons flying a giant hambone through space (with a Valkyrie I swear is the model for Dina..;), and the agent from UNCLE..;) It's worth watching, but only through a sense of morbid curiosity.

Somewhere in time, just appeals to me, but unlike the guy who flew a deck chair into the heavens with weather balloons, I know when to quit..;)

I've seen the origin of LEXX, which explains a lot more of what's going on, but I never could find the rest of them. Last I caught, there were on Earth, trying to scam various politicians..;)

and so on and so on..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:59 PM

I also like "Planet of the Apes" movies, though I haven't seen one  in a number of years.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 12:46 AM

Yep, definitely Dark Star.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

Andi3d ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 1:38 AM

hmm.....definately Dark Star.....used to have it on VHS, but that was like 15 years or more ago, and besides, dont have a VHS player....  ^^

Jason And The Argonauts.....not sure if it was  a B movie at the time....

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

steerpike ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 4:30 AM

Quote - There's a takeoff of Star Wars with John boy from the Waltons flying a giant hambone through space (with a Valkyrie I swear is the model for Dina..;), and the agent from UNCLE..;) It's worth watching, but only through a sense of morbid curiosity.

That'll be Battle Beyond The Stars.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 8:17 AM

ohhh yeah..;) thanks

Actually, I forgot Army of Darkness..that was the closest movie to Doom until the Doom movie came out..;)

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 8:55 AM

Quote - "I can't dredge up the name!! But it's the one where there about 3/4 guys, stuck in a gungy spacecraft that is blowing up suns and things. They eventually meet something they can't overcome (a ticking time-bomb thingy), and it ends up with one of them "surf-boarding" into oblivion..
(What the h*ll was that one called?????)"

Actually, that sounds like a variation of 'Dr. Strangelove,' with Slim Pickens Yahooing and waving his stetson as he rides the A-bomb down to earth.

I not sure if this qualifies as a B-movie, but I think my all time favorite was 'Teminator 2,' where Schwarzenegger played the 'sympathetic' robot.

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Jimdoria ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 9:56 AM

"Videodrome" will always be at the top of my short list of favorite "B"s. It became my religion for a while. The fact that it is a true story also helped.

I remember being enamored of "Parasite" when it came out in the theaters (in 3-D!) although I remembered very little except how cool the shotgun looked pointing right out of the screen, and what a great gizmo a secret, up-your-sleeve hand laser would be to have. I saw it years later and realized 1) How completely godawful and nonsensical it was and 2) It had Demi Moore in it (!) in what must have been one of her first roles. She looks about 17.

"Streets Of Fire" has always been another fave, just because it was so stylized and because there is nothing quite like watching Willem DaFoe open his mouth really wide to a rock beat.

"Flash Gordon" was another one I always liked. How can you not love any movie made after Star Wars where you can STILL see the wires holding up the spaceships? And as far as I'm concerned, Ornela Muti as Princess Aura  will always be the ultimate space babe.

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

jaybutton ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 10:02 AM

I like a quite a few B movies.  Princess Bride is a favorite and Army of Darkness is another.

Hail to the king, baby!

Jay

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 1:00 PM

I remember a very funny spoof of Star Wars done by Mel Brooks (actually he did a spoof on the Star Trek movies too).

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

Andi3d ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 1:15 PM

SpaceBalls was the Mel Brooks take on Star Wars....

as for Battle Beyond The Stars....I thought the spaceship looked like a big pair of tits....guess it was my age....

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

Jimdoria ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 4:54 PM

No, the ship definitely had breasts. It had a woman's voice too. That was one of the "jokes" - the young guy being taught the "ways of the world" by his granddad's space ship.

Oh, and do foreign films count? One of the greatest outrageously bad films I ever saw was "Star Crash." I think it was an Italian film dubbed into English. I remember laughing for days over that one. My favorite part was during the climactic battle scene when the good guys sent their soldiers into battle by firing them at the bad guy's ship in big torpedoes, which smashed through the huge plate glass windows of the villain's ship. (Windows which were never visible when the outside of the ship was shown.) Once inside, the torpedoes popped open and the soldiers immediately jumped out and began shooting. I guess it was supposed to take place in a universe where space is filled with air.

(Speaking of which, how do we hear those TIE fighters and X-Wings roaring around?)

• Jimdoria  ~@>@

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 5:02 PM

no..that was the Valkyrie..;)

Mock ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 5:28 PM

Nuf said

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 5:35 PM

file_342110.jpg

HEre's the poster from Battle beyond the stars. Shame it not a better view of the ship. I'll look thru a few more books however. I'm sure I have one.

mike

danamo ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 7:23 PM

One of my all-time favorite "guilty pleasures" is "The Mysterians", (1957) "Aliens arrive on Earth and ask permission to be given a certain tract of land for their people to live on". Lots of: giant monsters, flying saucers, humans and aliens blasting at each other with ray weapons, and mass destruction of detailed miniatures tied together with an infectous score by Akira Ifukube, (inventor of Godzilla's roar) guarantees a fun time. Considering the era, the special effects were pretty good.

Gareee ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 8:53 PM

Hmm... let's see....

Evil Dead movies...

50's "man in a suit monster movies (Creature from the Black lagoon, It! the Terror from Beyond Space, Monster of Piedras Blancas, The She Creature)

Original Godzilla, Kong, Attack of the Giant crab Monsters, Hercules, Xena, I have a whole buncha B movie type favortie things.

I gotta finish off the Poser "Robot Monster n Skully" set I started last year...

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 10:13 PM

if sybil danning was co-starring as a valkyrie, how bad could it be? but they hadda obscure the ship so it wouldn't be so obvious it had giant boobs :lol:

orangeparty ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 10:55 PM

I can't believe no ones mentioned Barberella yet.  Those wonderful fashions!  : )

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 1:47 AM

It would be cool to see some of the strange and weird props from these movies modelled for Poser.  That ship with the boobs is a hoot,  LOL

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 4:42 PM

There are tons of "B" movies that should be required viewing for all movie buffs. Two of my favorites are:

Atragon is a pretty good one. It's worth watching just for the theme music. Japan is under attack by the underwater kingdom of Mu. Atragon, a flying, burrowing submarine saves the day.

Beginning of the End is another great B movie. It's the attack of the giant people eating grasshoppers. The National Guard is called in to battle them to no avail. Leave it to the handsome scientist who uses stereo equipment to lead the grasshoppers to their death. Watching live grasshoppers cavort on a photograph of Chicago as opposed to a miniature is a hoot!

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:28 PM

My favorite-The Day The Earth Stood Still

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:29 PM

How about-Man From Planet X

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:35 PM

The Creature From The Black Lagoon

It came from Outer Space

Donavans Brain

Invaders From Mars

Night Of The Lepus

The Brain Eaters

Dracula meets Billy The Kid

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:40 PM

Earth Girls Are Easy

The Body Snatchers

The Blob

The Fly

The Incrediable Shrinking Man 

replicand ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:40 PM

Khai, thanks for setting me straight (and filling in the back story). I think your response has given Gigashadow a more objective synopsis. Looks like I'll have to go back and watch it from the beginning :)

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:42 PM

Attack Of The Flying Saucers

Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman

Should I go on?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 6:04 PM

I'm in B Movie heaven!  Or was...

In the last few days the movie channels have shown:

The Fly
Fantastic Voyage
Planet of the Apes
The Body Snatchers

What was the name of that movie about a plant like  a Venus Fly Trap plant that ate people?

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 6:13 PM

Quote - Watching live grasshoppers cavort on a photograph of Chicago as opposed to a miniature is a hoot!

LOL, that reminds me of a movie I watched awhile back. I think it was from the late 70's or maybe early to mid 80's.  Unfortunately I forget the name.  It's about a smaller sized boat that gets caught up in a treturous storm/hurricane.

When the camera panned out the waves looked  taller than an ocean liner, yet when they were showing the crew of the boat clinging to things on the deck, you could tell that someone was standing off camera and throwing the odd pail of water on the boat, and the few people were sitting there seemingly unmoving while the image of the ocean rocked and rolled behind them,  LMAO

I didn't finish watching it because it was just soooo bad. 

Philywebrider ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 7:38 PM

What was the name of that movie about a plant like  a Venus Fly Trap plant that ate people?
Little Shoppe OF Horrors

The first one in Black & White

And the color musical remake

Keith ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 1:19 AM

Quote - SpaceBalls was the Mel Brooks take on Star Wars....

as for Battle Beyond The Stars....I thought the spaceship looked like a big pair of tits....guess it was my age....

It's not just you.  That model is generally considered the most stacked starship in cinematic history.

sixus1 ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 2:36 AM

The LEXX miniseries here was released on Showtime as a four-parter back in like 1997 as Tales from a Parallel Universe The Dark Zone (with Tim Curry), Eating Pattern (with Rutger Hauger),  I Worship his Shadow and The Gigashadow.  I loved those four....I never really like the LEXX series beyond that much though.  http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0115243/

Anyway, my fave B movies are Dr. Caligari http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0097228/

The Dark Backward http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0101660/

and the Evil Dead 2 & Army of Darkness http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0106308/

OF course, as a kid....for some reason...I really liked Class of Nuk'em High http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0090849/

--Rebekah--

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.