Thu, Sep 19, 4:45 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Cybermen: Need one!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 2:34 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:45 PM

Did you see them?

The bloody Cybermen, terrific. Scared the shite out of me when I was a kid and still do.

Now as this is the Poser forum and to please the politically correct out there, the reason for the post: Is there a cyberman suit/model out there anywhere?

OK honestly, just wanted to mention "CYBERMEN"

:scared:

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Andi3d ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 3:07 PM

the very best Dr Who bad guys  :)

Vanishing Point has a dalek, and (I think) a Tardis, so that might be somewhere to start, but can't honestly ever recall seeing a Cyberman for any 3d app....

good luck, and if you find one, let me know, would just be nice to have in the ol' library.  :)

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 3:15 PM

I was disappointed.  Hope next week's episode picks up.  They look great but they are not the alien Cybermen from Telos, this bunch are a creation of some corporate bastard from a parallel world.  Oh well, maybe next series.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 3:17 PM

Yea! very true Sam, very true!

At my age you kind of forget little details like that!

😕

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Andi3d ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 3:18 PM

ah....the new series? havent seen any of them, been living abroad for over 2 years. In fact, last Dr Who I saw was the millenium special with whichever-McGann, who I thought made a damn good Doctor.....the best since Tom Baker.....

"That which doesn't kill you is probably re-loading"

lemur01 ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 3:39 PM

The Cybermen were great, what spoiled it for me was having Trigger from Only Fools and Horses as the protagonist... mind you he played the part well, i just kept waiting for him to call his henchman Dave.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 4:22 PM

Quote - Yea! very true Sam, very true!

At my age you kind of forget little details like that!

😕

I believe I may be a little older than you, Sir.  47, just a few weeks ago.

My Store

My Gallery

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 5:45 PM

Quote - Is there a cyberman suit/model out there anywhere?

There's a deluge of Daleks, a plethera od police boxes, a kennel of K*9s, but seemingly, there's not a single Cyberman to seize.

In anticipation of this weekend's episode, I mucked about with TrueSpace, UV Mapper and Poser to assemble the following.

'Toon Cybermanskulking about the London sewers

Basically, it's two fused props placed upon Sixus1's free "Blind Guardian" figure available at Content Paradise.  I modeled a pathetic mockery of the cyber-helmets from "The Invasion".  I'll be the first to admit it isn't too accurate.  I pondered upon what figure I could mount it when I remembered the RoboCop/Gort-like freebie.  Ironically, it looked pretty good on Sixus1's character, in a weird cartoon style.

I would offer the helmet, but for expediency, I used some primitives (to construct the "headphones") R'osity member MacLean once released.  I'd have to replace those elements with parts I made before I could share it.

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 5:57 PM

Hey redfern, that is way to cool!!

@ Sam hey buddy I was 47 way back in March!

:tt2:

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Redfern ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 6:05 PM

Quote - Hey redfern, that is way to cool!!

Just goofin' around, but thanks!  I will admit ol' Poser 4's "Depth of Field" tool works pretty well for this scene.

Sincerely,

Bill

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 6:27 PM

Quote - Hey redfern, that is way to cool!!

@ Sam hey buddy I was 47 way back in March!

:tt2:

Really? Wow, you old goat! :D

My Store

My Gallery

JHoagland ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 8:13 PM

Attached Link: Vanishing Point Doctor Who Free Stuff

> Quote - I was disappointed.  Hope next week's episode picks up.  They look great but they are *not* the alien Cybermen from Telos, this bunch are a creation of some corporate bastard from a parallel world.  Oh well, maybe next series.

They aren't the "real" Cybermen? That stinks.

And no offense, but would you mind not posting "spoliers" like this in the forum? Us poor people in the US won't see these episodes for probably another year or so. :(
(We're only now seeing last season's episode "The Doctor Dances".)

Anyway, we have a whole section of Doctor Who items at Vanishing Point, including a few TARDIS-es, the TARDIS console (classic version), Davros, a Dalek (2005 version), a sonic screwdriver (classic version), and the Lady Cassandra.
I haven't seen a Cyberman figure, though it would probably be fairly easy to make some parented props for M2 or M3.

--John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 8:41 PM

hang tite..
It's crappy, but it's mine..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 13 May 2006 at 9:11 PM

file_341885.jpg

not that close, but here's a head, at least.

MaryK ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:10 AM

Um....As a Who fan from way back....Telos was planet that was on the oppisite of Eath. It was blown out of orbit and they adapted themselves into cybermen in order to survivie.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 3:39 AM

There were a couple of documentaries on last night, and so I saw a lot of pictures of the different styles of Cybermen. They changed, a lot, over the years, but the heads have a lot of design features in common. The ear-loops are a mix of straight sections and fairly abrupt bends. The eyes are round. And there's a sort of headlamp/third-eye thing on top of the head. You see it today on some fire-fighting gear, a breathing set with a IR camera in the helmet. The mouth varies a lot over the years, but it doesn't look right taking up the full width of the face. Of course, a Poser Cyberman would have grotequely over-sized chest-boxes...

SamTherapy ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 4:29 AM

Quote - And no offense, but would you mind not posting "spoliers" like this in the forum? Us poor people in the US won't see these episodes for probably another year or so. :(
(We're only now seeing last season's episode "The Doctor Dances".)

Sorry bout that.  Thoughtless of me.  :( 

Anyhow, it's a two parter so I'll keep me big mouth shut after next week's episode. 

One thing to note, they do look superb, those Cybermen.

My Store

My Gallery

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:20 AM · edited Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:22 AM

Quote - Um....Telos was planet that was on the oppisite of Eath. It was blown out of orbit and they adapted themselves into cybermen in order to survivie.

I think you're confusing Telos with Mondas.  Mondas was the twin planet of Earth (presented by an Earth globe simply turned upside down) that was blown out of orbit and eventually returned as "The Tenth Planet".  To explain why Cybermen still existed for their return in "The Moonbase", the production created Telos.  Supposedly, they colonized the planet as Mondas swung near.  Telos was the planet that Troughton's Doctor visited when he, his companions and a group of archeologists entered the "Tomb of the Cybermen".

Sincerely,

Bill

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 7:54 AM

Looks from MaryK to Redfern... then back again

GEEK ALERT!

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 8:04 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Quote - Looks from MaryK to Redfern... then back again

GEEK ALERT!

...and damned proud of it!  Otherwise, I wouldn't have bothered to obtain the following...

Sincerely,

Bill

lemur01 ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 8:35 AM

OMG that is awsome. There was a Dalek up for auction here a couple of months ago but it was only one of the 'explodable' ones that had been rebuilt. Still i think it went for a several hundred pounds because it had providence with it or some such.  Earliest memories of Dr. Who are the episodes with the Zarbie (sp) i can remember going to cub scouts and scaring myself silly walking home past this old factory type building and convincing myself they were in there... great fun lol.

Jack

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 2:24 PM

'tol ya it was crappy..;) I couldn't find good model pics, alas (probably didn't use the right search words..;) s'ok.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 3:10 PM

Hey Bill! Did that puppy cost you 10 grand like the ones being sold back when the LIS Movie came out were?

Redfern ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:00 PM

Quote - Hey Bill! Did that puppy cost you 10 grand like the ones being sold back when the LIS Movie came out were?

No, nowhere near such an insane figure.  This was assembled by a hobbyist/collector who had moved into a small condo' and had no place to display it.  This person was also in need of readily available funds.  So let's just say I purchased it for far less than the so-called market price.  Forgive me for not repeating the exact figure, gentlemen's agreement and all that rot.

Sincerely,

Bill

tonyhag ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 5:05 PM

Quote - I was disappointed.  Hope next week's episode picks up.  They look great but they are not the alien Cybermen from Telos, this bunch are a creation of some corporate bastard from a parallel world.  Oh well, maybe next series.

Yer, I was a wee lad when William Hartnell was battling them in 1966, these new ones just do not cut it in my opionion.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 6:23 PM

Visually, they're good. The plot felt flabby, padded out to stretch it to two episodes, though I don't think it could have been squeezed into a single episode.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 7:08 PM

Now the Cybermen have their own Davros?

:b_stunned:

catlin_mc ( ) posted Sun, 14 May 2006 at 11:21 PM

My brother was terrified of the Cybermen when he was a kid, he would hide behind the sofa whenever they were on, and I would scare him by saying they were coming out of the Tv to get him.

I was an evil child. lol 8P

As for myself, I was terrified of the green gunge that came out of taps, toilets, sewers. It had me terrified to go to the loo for ages afterwards. lol 8)

I would love to have some Cybermen to add to my runtime, especially to go with the Tom Baker Dr Who (outfit), that's available at PoserWorld, (membership required)

Catlin

JHoagland ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 2:32 PM

Attached Link: Doctor Who - Rise of the Cybermen Gallery

file_342079.jpg

Yep, these Cybernen are pretty cool-looking.   --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

pleonastic ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 3:57 PM

Attached Link: a collage of the different cybermen designs

and here's a fun one of [ red daleks with cybermen](http://www.salute.co.uk/war_of_the_daleks/images/salute_03_programme/RED%20DALEKS%20AND%20CYBERMEN.jpg). wow, the new ones *are* cool-looking. i'm not a huge dr who fan myself, though i've knitted more than my share of scarves for fen :), and i don't recall seeing all the different old ones. making a suit like that is a really tempting project. what'd be the legalities of building something very much like that? does the BBC hold the copyright for these? have they been asses about free contributions like that in the past, or are they cool with it? if nobody knows, i'll hunt down a contact person to ask, but here's hoping somebody else has done that already, what with the plethora of daleks and tardises available.

Redfern ( ) posted Mon, 15 May 2006 at 6:09 PM

Quote - what'd be the legalities of building something very much like that? does the BBC hold the copyright for these? have they been asses about free contributions like that in the past, or are they cool with it? if nobody knows, i'll hunt down a contact person to ask, but here's hoping somebody else has done that already, what with the plethora of daleks and tardises available.

When you say "...building something...", do you mean a physical costume or prop?  Fans have constructed costumes for conventions and fan films with little to no interference from the BBC (as far as I know) as long as they weren't promoted as the genuine article or sold.  Or do you mean a digital mesh?  As long as you keep a subdued profile and don't try to sell it, you shouldn't have any problem.  The BBC has yet to contact me with a "cease and desist" order for the console and Davros chair I offer.  (If they ever do, I will certainly comply and remove my items from distribution.)

Yes, the BBC owns the copyrights and trademark for the Cybermen in partnership with the Kit Pedler estate, the late writer who envisioned them for their debur serial "The Tenth Planet".  A similar arrangement exists with the Daleks (which almost resulted in their exclusion from the new series because the Terry Nation estate supposedly held out for more revenue).

Sincerely,

Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.