Tue, Oct 22, 10:24 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 4:45 pm)

Subject: WIP - Orc for DAZ's Michael 3.0

konan ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 5:17 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:22 PM

file_342210.jpg

Hey Everybody,

Here is a few pics of an orc character that I am working on. I'll be posting him as a free download when he is complete. The morph and textures are being made with Blacksmith3D-Suite 2.2  The head and body textures are 4096x4096 in size.

Any suggestions on how to make him better? I am torn between giving him an overly musclear build (seen here) or a skinny, sickly frame.

By the way, I haven't started working on the eye textures, so they are still white.

Dave's Signature

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 7:55 PM · edited Tue, 16 May 2006 at 7:56 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

He looks really great!!

Question?  How come their aren't any female Orcs?  How do they repopulate?

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

pleonastic ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 8:00 PM

purely personal preference: i like my orcs to be solid, stocky, muscular creatures. so yours is definitely going in the right direction. i'd probably like the head to be larger, and the figure to be a bit more compact. nice texture!

konan ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 8:08 PM

Hehehe. Good call on the female thing.  But then again, the wizard dude in LOTR made them from mud in a big hole in the ground.

Yeah, the head/body proportions could be tweaked. I'm trying to think of ways to make his body seem less human. Ragged clothes may help, and maybe some scars (via displacement maps).

Keep the comments coming!
Dave's Signature

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 10:47 PM

There are actually female orcs :)

Foxseelady ( ) posted Tue, 16 May 2006 at 10:53 PM

How hard would scaley be to do? That might be cool, course I like orcs but I'm not real up on the details of how they should be. lol I like him, I do think his head is a bit small for the body; but he's just awesome! :)

Charles_V ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 9:33 AM

I'd rather see orcs as big and stocky, maybe a fatness morph, but they shouldn't be skinny sickly.  Thats what goblins are for! ; )

seattletim ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 10:14 AM

Actually, I think skinny can be much more of a "character" and conveys more evil to me . . .

I think it depends on what type of personality you want to give him. Is he a strong heroic orc warrior? Then go for muscular. If you want him to be evil, I personnaly think skinny then makes the better character. I also think we have seen so much of the Freak-type muscle buold that it is the equal of  the big boob heroic girl in chainmail. Why not try something really unique so he does not get lost among the crowd of other body builders?

So, I guess I vote for skinny. That is my 2 cents.

Great work! I am very impressed!

Tim

konan ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 1:32 PM

Wow. Those are some great suggestions. The one thing that did not occur to me that was mentioned was "fat". A big powerlifter belly may be a good way of making him look powerful, but less bodybuilder like.

Dave's Signature

Charles_V ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 4:29 PM

True you see lots of Freak based types of characters, but the orc in fantasy is quintessentially a powerhouse.   They're meant to be engines of destruction, and if you think about most orc backgrounds, skinny/weak ones are the first to be murdered by their bretheren. 

konan ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 5:13 PM

file_342289.jpg

How does this belly look? Strong yet slobbish?

Dave's Signature

gothicenchantedangel ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 5:35 PM

Quote - Hehehe. Good call on the female thing.  But then again, the wizard dude in LOTR made them from mud in a big hole in the ground.

That would be the Uruk-Hai that Saruman created.

I like the morph, it looks great!  Be very interested to see this morph when it's finished.

konan ( ) posted Wed, 17 May 2006 at 6:04 PM

file_342297.jpg

I've been working on the fat folds in the belly to make it look more realistic. Also added a double chin.

Dave's Signature

Charles_V ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 11:26 AM

Thats looking great : ) 

zulu9812 ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:52 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 12:53 PM

Sorry, he doesn't look like any orc I've ever seen in LOTR, Warhammer, you name it. What kind of a reference are you working from? He looks more like a nosferatu from the game Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

konan ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 1:09 PM

file_342375.jpg

Here is the main photo-reference that I used for the head.

arcady ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:37 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 3:37 PM

Somebody needs to make an orc in the Dungeon and Dragons or World of Warcraft styles. Your orc is nice, but also similar to the one Daz has for V3, M2, and M3, and the one in freestuff for V2.

Truth has no value without backing by unfounded belief.
Renderosity Gallery

konan ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:01 PM

Warcraft 3 style would be easy since it is so "toony". With this project, I was going for a bit more realism to show off the high resolution maps (4096x4096).

Indeed, I am a big WC3 fan, and that would make a great project as well. The only probem is that I would have to morph the hands so they are massive, and that would mess up the rigging for the fingers in Poser. I could easily export a new CR2/OBJ file combination from Blacksmith3D, but then I would run into redistribution (copyright) problems.

In the future, I would like to have a high quality 3D human that I can morph and distribute the entire geometry freely. Perhaps in a month or two.

Can you post an image of an orc in the D&D style that you speak of?

In the mean time, I am going to morph him a loin cloth from a torus and two planes.

jhustead ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:19 PM

Attached Link: Link is to the Orc army art @ Games Workshop

file_342386.jpg

I play a tabletop game called Warhammer and Warhammer 40K, their orc models tend to always have two huge bottom teeth that come out & overlap their top lip and sometimes vice versa. I don't know if that would be possible to do in poser though, but I've never tried to make my own morphs before either. I'll look up some images for you and post them here if you'd like. And of course you could always go to their web site which I've listed. Also if you've ever seen the models in games such as World of WarCraft or Warcraft their web sites tend to have concept art sometimes which may be helpful to you. Good luck on the outcome of your project and I look forward to giving in to try as well. -James

Info: The picture is of an Orc Warboss, which is typically in command of a unit.

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:52 PM

file_342388.jpg

Good work so far on the body.  I personally prefer a strong, bulky and muscled body, but pudge with muscles is much better than skinny/emaciated!  :laugh:

Gotta agree with others on the face though... it puts me more in mind of something undead/vampiric rather than orcish.  I think the features need to be stronger, blunt and broader.  I also really love those big jutting lower teeth. 

Here's an example.

😄

"You don't know what we can see
Why don't you tell your dreams to me
Fantasy will set you free." - Steppenwolf

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:53 PM

file_342389.jpg

And another.  😄

konan ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 4:57 PM

I see what you mean. I can make the jaw wider and stronger. Big teeth are possible as well. Thanks for the advise and keep it coming!

Neyjour ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 5:06 PM

Great!  I'm really looking forward to seeing what you do!   Will post some more pics for reference if I find any good ones.

And thank you so much for doing this as a freebie.  I love 'beastly' characters and I've already got plans for this big guy!  😄

jhustead ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 5:23 PM

Neyjour: Some awesome example of what I was refering to!

-James

arcady ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 5:41 PM · edited Thu, 18 May 2006 at 5:42 PM

Some "official" dungeons and dragons orcs: 49218.jpg88083.jpg95013.jpg89544.jpg86289.jpg6_Half%20Orc%20Barbarian.jpg The Orc god, thus scale a little overdone: 86614.jpg

Renderosity Gallery

arcady ( ) posted Thu, 18 May 2006 at 5:49 PM

Best Orc drawing in DnD is on page 23 of the 3.5 DMG, in my opinion, but I couldn't find it online. It really captures that 'genre's' distinctive approach to orcs.

Renderosity Gallery

12rounds ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 2:48 AM

file_342424.jpg

Here are some of my orc renders (heavy postwork). M2 and M3 with custom morphs. Some painted hair and some Poser hair, some painted clothing and some Poser clothing (Poserworld, Xurge3D, Daz etc).

Teyon ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 12:23 PM

Hi. Just to chime in as a modeler...

If you want to keep that body mass, you should seriously think about increasing the size of the neck to match. You can slide on the head depending on how realistic you want to be. One thing you didn't seem to take into account when using your ref is that the orc is actually average sized to thin. The rest of his bulk comes from his armor. So, if you're going for something similar, you may want to tone his mass down a little. Just a thought.

Realmling ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 1:23 PM

Attached Link: http://www.project-human.com

> Quote - > In the future, I would like to have a high quality 3D human that I can morph and distribute the entire geometry freely. Perhaps in a month or two.

Can check out the Project Human figures to experiment with, free to use them in any way for any purpose. The only thing you have to do is include the original open-source file to state where the base file came from, but that's not asking much for free figures to fiddle with and distribute however you feel.

I don't use Mike, but I like the "pudgy" orc look. Something a little different is always nice to see. =)

Crazy alien chick FTW! (yeah....right....)

Realm of Savage - Poser goodies and so much more!

~~

arcady ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 1:52 PM

Quote - Here are some of my orc renders (heavy postwork). M2 and M3 with custom morphs. Some painted hair and some Poser hair, some painted clothing and some Poser clothing (Poserworld, Xurge3D, Daz etc).

Those are yours? I saw those on a product page over at one of the DnD websites.

Renderosity Gallery

konan ( ) posted Fri, 19 May 2006 at 2:06 PM

don't use Mike, but I like the "pudgy" orc look. Something a little different is always nice to see. =)

Yeah, it would be much easier to use "The Freal" as the base, but by using Mike, anyone can download him for free and use the morph, making him more accessible. The big disadvantage in using Mike is that I cannot morph the hands to super large proportions, since it will mess up the rigging in Poser (hands will not pose properly).

I could output a new CR2 and OBJ combination that will auto-rig the hands for the larger shape, but I would not be able to redistribute the files (copyright laws). Maybe I'll do one just for me :)

I will DEFINATELY check out the "project human" figures. This is exactly what I would like to have. I would love to create tonnes of morphed characters and be able to redistibute the geometry freely. Thank you so much for the suggestion!

Dave's Signature

12rounds ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 1:22 AM

"Those are yours? I saw those on a product page over at one of the DnD websites." Yup... that would be me (the same nick and all is a dead giveaway too).

konan ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:26 PM

file_342925.jpg

Here is an updated pic showing a bigger, fatter head. Looking more Orcish? Please note that the texture around the lips still needs more editing.

Dave's Signature

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 12:28 PM

y'know..a few more wrinkles, and a yellow texture, and he could be the creep from Sin City..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

vilian ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 1:49 PM

Just add the big pointy teeth and the guy is ready to go :)

Outdated gallery over at DeviantArt

Fics at FanFiction.net and Archive of Our Own (AO3)

Neyjour ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 3:25 PM

Looking really good!  Definitely don't forget to add the teeth.  😄  Other than that, the only two things I would suggest is making the end of his nose less pointy.  And maybe flatten and widen his skull a bit.  The side and angled views look great, but for some reason it looks very tall/domed and thin in the face-front shot.

konan ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:11 PM

file_343023.jpg

Here's the new teeth. Eyes still to come.

Dave's Signature

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 12:22 PM

He looks awesome! I love the asymmetric look!

heh and you know how I feel about Blacksmith already ;o)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

vilian ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 3:12 PM

Impressive teeth (although maybe a biit too long, but that's only me) ! And ditto on face asymmetry, that's something really unique among Poser characters. Love the ears :)

konan ( ) posted Wed, 24 May 2006 at 9:05 PM

"Impressive teeth (although maybe a biit too long, but that's only me) ! And ditto on face asymmetry, that's something really unique among Poser characters. Love the ears :)"

Thanks alot, and u2 Trekkie Grrrl.

I'm going to finish up the eyes and give him loin cloth and club tomorrow. I'll morph the club from a cylinder or sphere (while adding some spikes of course) and I'll make the loin cloth from two planes and a torus. Should be fun.

Dave's Signature

konan ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 5:28 PM · edited Thu, 25 May 2006 at 5:31 PM

file_343138.jpg

I finally got around to doing the eyes. I admit that I didn't put too much effort into them, but they are good enough for now. I really hate the way the Mike 3 eyes are setup, in particular the way the corneas are attached to the eyeball. Oh well.

Dave's Signature

konan ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 5:30 PM

file_343139.jpg

Zoomed out...

Dave's Signature

konan ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2006 at 7:41 PM · edited Thu, 25 May 2006 at 7:42 PM

file_343157.jpg

Here is a shot of the club. Complete with rusty spikes and old, dried up blood. I morph it from a cylinder and several cones. The texture I painted using several sources, including some old wood, rusty metal and a bloody cloth.

Dave's Signature

vilian ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 3:04 AM

Me wants the club, me wants ^.^

Eyes are good, you can leave them this way. What I'd change is his lips texture - it looks a bit like a poor goth make-up. Maybe you could try how does he look like with lips of same color as rest of head texture, or with narrow lips of dark skin surronded with band-like area of normal skin ? (hope you understand what I'm talking about - kinda hard to explain it, as English is not my native language).

Whatever you'll decide, I'm in line for downloading him when he's ready ^.^

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.