Thu, Sep 19, 4:13 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: PEOPLE IN YUR SCENES...WITHOUT POSER INBREEDING???

Mugsey ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:23 AM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 4:08 PM

file_343209.jpg

Ok - so - let's suppose that I DON'T have POSER 4,5,or 6, or Carrera, or Eovia, or Schmootzivia, or any a 'dat jazz...

NOW - let's say that I want people in my city scenes on streets and stuff in BRYCE 5...

QUESTION - How would YOU accomplish this daring feet - ur - feat?

ENQUIRING MINDS WANNA KNOW YOU SLIMY CHEESE EATING SONS OF A RANCID DAIRY COW !!!

P.S. - I love you all very much - "SMOOOOTTTCCCHHHIIIEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!"

Mugsey ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:41 AM · edited Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:42 AM

file_343211.jpg

This is what I'm talking about (This image by the way is a PUBLIC DOMAIN IMAGE - so I can post it here)...

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:44 AM

You can make a "People Prop".  Take a photograph of a person or persons and place it in a 2D picture object ("Leo") and use an alpha channel mask to get rid of "non-people parts".

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 1:16 PM

DAZ's Poser-like program "Studio" is free, as is their Mike and Victoria figures. After that, it's just downloading any of the other free items for said figures here at Renderosity, or at many other sites.

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 4:00 PM

didn't there used to be a 'low poly' man for Bryce in Freebies a few years back? Swear I saw something about it in this forum.

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

danamo ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 5:34 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/viewed.ez?galleryid=741509&Start=1&Artist=Macmondo&ByArtist=Yes

You might resort to making some of your own. Macmondo did a really cool Bryce Sci-Fi pic with dozens of "people" in it; none of which was Poser, or image based. His "Bob" and "Betty" figures were 400 polys each! I don't know if he still hangs around here or not, but you might IM him just in case and ask if he might consider sharing.

electroglyph ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 7:25 PM

Hey, there are free humans available.

Try Sixus Media

Project Human Webpage

Sorce of a male and female figure plus a goblin and scrum a golum like figure.

Her

A animie type female toon like koshini

Eve by Arduino

Free but requires registration.

You can also get free Studio Michael and Victoria from DAZ

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 7:31 PM

"didn't there used to be a 'low poly' man for Bryce in Freebies a few years back?" Yeah, it was bryceman.....i made it.

I eat babies.

bandolin ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 7:59 PM

I f you made it, let's have it. Don't keep it a secret man! Give us a link.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

Cyba_Storm ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:03 PM · edited Fri, 26 May 2006 at 9:16 PM

Make yourself a stick man in WINGS 3D, draw them in crayon and scan them in, add them in post with PS or PSP, but just stay away from POSER figures. There are enough loser on this site using them already.

STATISTICS.

GOOD POSER ARTISTS..................10?

BAD POSER ARTISTS......................100,000+

Don't join the crowd.

Mugsey ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 8:56 AM

I NEEDS PEEPLZZZZZ!!!

I have HER and HIM and the victoria and micheal and the STUDIO. I just dont have enough clothes for them AND I'm having problems parenting things to figures in studio (maybe because I have a prehistoric computer that runs studio but for some reason - maybe the open GL issue - can't render with it.

ANYWHO - the Bryce man seems like a kinda good idea, although he does look kinda fakey (impressive - but "cartoonish") - still, you can't beat the price (FREE!!!)

I wish that you could pose figures in BRYCE - but I guess that I can prepose free DAZ figs and import them in (export them as object meshes, then import them into Bryce and save them as .OBP's - although texturing them correctly might be an imperial pain in the royal Bengalis.

I need to do more research on texturing DAZ / POSER figures WITHIN Bryce obviously.

MzShatzie ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 9:26 AM

Attached Link: MeTal Fixer

It's so easy to import poser figures into Bryce, WITH textures and transparencies etc. all there for you. I use a handy little tool called MeTal Fixer, and if you read the tutorials it tells you how to import everything within the object file, so there is minimal fiddling in the material lab or room or whatever Bryce calls it. See the link above. I don't get the hatred for poser, but whatever :-)

pakled ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 10:03 AM

it's amazing how much you can cover up with distance and dramatic shadows..;)  The farther away a figure is, the less detail needed.

There's a sort of tecnique some in Poser use; you use the highest detail characters closest to the camera, and sort of 'devolve' (using older, less- complex characters) as you move away from that.

Another trick ( I use it with trees, but what the hey) is to vary the angles and duplicate a given figure. As long as there's not too many of a given character, you can retexture tops, bottoms, hair, etc., and get different 'people'

Finally, know that the more numbers of complex figures you put in a Bryce pic, the slower it will get. I think my record for Poser/Sixus/MayaDoll (also free, Studio Maya, if you want it), etc., was about 15 characters (but I only have 512m..;) Even with more memory, you'll reach a point where Bryce just won't go..;) Some folks get around this by creating layers in Photoshop (or the Gimp, if you're financially-challenged like me) of people and making your crowds that way

there's a million ways to fill a freeway..good luck.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 12:54 PM

Mugsey, when you choose the clothing you want to use from the contents list in Daz Studio just right click on the item in the work space and then click on fit to, once the window opens open the drop down and select V3 or M3 which ever model you use at the time, click accept and there you have it, clothing fit to model. do the same with hair as well this way when you pose the model things don't end up all over the place...

took me a few tries to get things right this way but it helps

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

electroglyph ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 10:25 PM

file_343368.jpg

All the people on the ground of my sinbad render were actually really simple bryce terrains. If you are far away you really don't need much detail.

Stephen Ray ( ) posted Sat, 27 May 2006 at 11:43 PM

file_343379.jpg

When DAZ studio is free and V3 and M3 are free, why not utilize them?

Stephen Ray

IO4 ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 12:02 AM

Quote - I NEEDS PEEPLZZZZZ!!!

I have HER and HIM and the victoria and micheal and the STUDIO. I just dont have enough clothes for them AND I'm having problems parenting things to figures in studio (maybe because I have a prehistoric computer that runs studio but for some reason - maybe the open GL issue - can't render with it.

ANYWHO - the Bryce man seems like a kinda good idea, although he does look kinda fakey (impressive - but "cartoonish") - still, you can't beat the price (FREE!!!)

I wish that you could pose figures in BRYCE - but I guess that I can prepose free DAZ figs and import them in (export them as object meshes, then import them into Bryce and save them as .OBP's - although texturing them correctly might be an imperial pain in the royal Bengalis.

I need to do more research on texturing DAZ / POSER figures WITHIN Bryce obviously.

If you get yourself the latest versions of Bryce (5.5) and Daz Studio (still free) you can import anything from D|S with all the textures already applied , via the D|S link in Bryce. No more fiddling around applying textures.  Bryce doesn't seem to like it if you have too many objects in the scene though, so frequent saving is strongly advised as it does like to crash on you.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

IO4 ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 12:05 AM

Quote - You can make a "People Prop".  Take a photograph of a person or persons and place it in a 2D picture object ("Leo") and use an alpha channel mask to get rid of "non-people parts".

Forgot to ask about this in my previous post - can anyone direct me to a tutorial on this -( I don't know much about alpha channels, but  I do have Photoshop if that is relevant) or give me a quick rundown of the process?

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

Bea ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 7:57 AM

There are lots of free clothes and hair for the DAZ people as well here in the Free Stuff Poser section.

Mugsey ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:27 AM

Thank you my bro's and sis's for the great input!

KEEP THIS THREAD GOING AS LONG AS POSSIBLE - we're getting some good info here!

I just downloaded METAL FIXER and the tuts that go along with it - so I'm going to install DS and see what's what.

If the people . objs / .3ds objects that import into BRYCE 5.01 are compound objects where they can be "ungrouped" - and then mats could be applied to each part (hair , eyes, lips, skin, etc.) - Then that would be cool - but an ungroupable figure that complex is not easily found.

DAZ STUDIO functions on my computer except that it does not render an image when the render command(s) are accessed. Again - it could be the open GL issue - I'm not sure.

I tried a copy of Poser 4 / Pro that I borrowed for test purposes and it worked, but since that copy does not belong to me and was a "demo" of sorts - I can't use it, so I have to stick with DS for now.

I can export figures with DS - so perhaps I could work with each part of a figure (hair - clothes - etc.) individually - and then apply / join and mat the parts in BRYCE to form complete figures?

That seems a bit long winded and extremely involved to attempt though...

Bea ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:52 AM

If you have Bryce 5.5 then anything should import from DAZ with the textures that have been applied in DAZ Studio

If you have Bryce 5 then you need Turbo importer to do the same thing.

Mugsey ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:55 AM

What's "TURBO IMPORTER"?

pakled ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 1:49 PM

probably a plug-in for Daz (the unfree part)..but I could be wrong..they keep updating D|S, so it may be in there. Should be on Daz's site somewhere..

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 2:41 PM

Quote - What's "TURBO IMPORTER"?

It was a plugin for Bryce 5.0 that allowed you to import the "fixed up" OBJ and MTL files that D|S created.

Not required for Bryce 5.5 as the functionality has been built in.
Don't know whether it still work with the latest version of D|S, but here's the link -> http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=2332

Bea ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 7:17 PM

If you bought Bryce 5 in the latest promotion they include Turbo Importer with it.

electroglyph ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 7:44 PM

You can load textures into bryce by hand, but it's long and complex.

The problem with Poser and DAZ Studio is when you save a mesh object the texture files remain in the program folder. When you import the object into Bryce the object comes in then Bryce starts looking for textures. A little window will pop up with the current path wher you saved the object plus a texture name such as victoria.jpg. Another line says Note: This file has been moved or deleted. please find it in the next dialog.

When You click on the OK button a windows file menu pops up. If you are using free studio you need to navigate to the location where you installed Victoria into Studio. It should be

C;Program FilesDAZStudiocontentRuntimetexturesDAZcharacters

If the texture is there you should be able to see it. When you click on OK Bryce will get the texture and any other textures in the same file folder.

If you used free hair from another vender like Kozoboro or free clothes it is possible the texture files are in a different folder. If you are scatterbrained like I am you can go to the windows Start menu and use search to find the texture file. It saves you from having to remember which of the hundered of folders it could be in. Hair also has a seperate transparency texture that has to be loaded into window two of the Bryce texture editor. You will have to check the blend transparency setting on the texture for this to work right and click the ball next to transparency as well as diffuse and ambient in the material settings.

Programs like grouper and metal fixer  can go fetch the textures for you and put copies all in the same folder. They make things much easier.

Bea ( ) posted Sun, 28 May 2006 at 9:48 PM

Exporting from DAZ Studio and into Bryce is incredibly simple now. You export as a Bryce object it sets up an obect and a mtl file and two subfolders where all the textures are.

There is no searching for the textures at all. Or I have never found it so and I use DAZ Studio and Bryce regularly. I use both Bryce 5 (with the turbo importer) and Bryce 5.5 and DAZ Studio 1.3.1.

I always export and import rathe than use the button because I like to reduce the size of the textures to cut down on the amound of memeory that Bryce uses.

pakled ( ) posted Mon, 29 May 2006 at 9:22 PM

look at it from a production standpoint. If your final pic is going to look like the one you've posted, the people in it are tiny as seen from your point of view. You're not going to need a lot of detail on something that small. You can texture Poser items with Bryce textures (used to do that a lot), it's tedious, but possible. You can make slight changes in mat colors, and distribute them.

Think about real life for a sec. If you look at any given crowd, how many different textures do you see? If a crowd of young people, mainly blue-jean textures, or some khakis. If older people, business suits and formal clothes. But how many different colors? Sure, there's going to be some variations, but you're not being asked to reassemble the rainbow..;)

If you look at some of the Bryce pics in here, they look brilliant, sure, but from the angle and forms and colors of the camera. If you pulled back at some of the best pics here, you'd probably laugh..;)

Long story short (as we say around here), you might be heading down the road of over-thinking the pic. Try some groupings of low-poly characters, save the file under different names (to try more than one approach),  and see what works for you.

Just get crackin', and see what works..there's no test at the end of this..;)

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 2:13 AM

I actually did a huge update to bryceman...but i had hoped that DazStudio would have been added into bryce for internal posing, or something. I suck at rigging in my copy of Poser4Pro, otherwise it would have been released a long while ago. The current, unreleased bryceman comes in at under 6000 polygons(most in the head hands region and near joints for posing). Maybe I'll restart the project again. I would probably need to go to the poser forum(shiver) for help though. Here is what Bmans face lookes like http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/milesbaskett/faceupdate.jpg I started a lower poly varient as well seen here: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/milesbaskett/lpman.jpg But I need help getting it poser/studio-ized.

I eat babies.

Dann-O ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 9:03 AM

Twisted Bolt those are some very efficiant meshes. The low poly one is one with the fewest polies that I have seen that looks that good.

The wit of a misplaced ex-patriot.
I cheated on my metaphysics exam by looking into the soul of the person next to me.

bandolin ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 9:58 AM

212 polys. That's awesome. Keep us posted. Looking forward to this.

<strong>bandolin</strong><br />
[Former 3DS Max forum coordinator]<br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/homepage.php">Homepage</a> ||
<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/sitemail/">SiteMail</a> ||
<a href="http://excalibur.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?user_id=70375">
Gallery</a> || <a href="http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=bandolin">
Freestuff</a>
<p><em>Caution: just a hobbyist</em></p>

TwistedBolt ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 3:44 PM · edited Wed, 31 May 2006 at 3:46 PM

@Dann-O & Bandolin , Thanks, I've done alot of practice on low poly meshes and good polyflow. I still have room for improvement, but who doesn't? I hope to come in under 500 polys for the whole figure though. Can poser rig something that low poly(similar to a rig you would see in a video game)?

I eat babies.

pearce ( ) posted Wed, 31 May 2006 at 6:10 PM

Attached Link: http://3dup.com/highmodels/cacheforce/1024/index.html

Free (to use, not to distribute) people models for download at the attached link :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.