Tue, Oct 22, 10:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: Is Poser 6 installer CD a Win/Mac combo?

lakota ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 4:37 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 8:35 AM

I ask because I'm stuck at P4 until I upgrade my Mac system to OS X or just go and buy me a pc to run Poser 6.  Yet, I am a looong time mac user since 6.8 and don't want to change if I can avoid it. I do run a windows based e-machine at work so I can temp run poser there.

Poser 3 and 4 were cross platform installers and I am hoping that it still is that way with 6.  I've asked e-frontier about this and if I have to choose platforms before I buy and/or d/l an upgrade, but they haven't bothered to respond. If I can avoid it I would rather choose an operating system on it's own merits and not just to be able to run poser.

So is it or isn't it? That is the question.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 7:27 AM

Unless something has changed recently, you have to buy two licenses. But there used to be a crossgrade offer on a download only version of the "other" platform. But, the Mac version of Poser is not nearly as good as the PC version (IMO) and I'd recommend just the PC version for crossplatform users, especially with Apple's switch to Intel and Bootcamp. HTH; Dan

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 7:27 AM · edited Thu, 01 June 2006 at 7:29 AM

its NOT a combo CD its the one or the other....

So for MAC and WIN you got to but 2 different POSER prog. CD's

I just GOT a brand NEW poser cd yesterday Boxed version and it just one version ......

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 12:23 PM

bootcamp is not an option when upgrading a PPC to tiger. parallels workstation may be an option, but it's an emulator.

lakota ( ) posted Thu, 01 June 2006 at 10:21 PM

Thanks for the input. I was affaid I would have to buy both versions at some point. I was just hoping it would be like DAZ and Hexigon2 d/l one, both, none or all of the above and choose later.

Thanks again.

MungoPark ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 9:53 AM · edited Fri, 02 June 2006 at 9:54 AM

Dumb question to Dan Whiteside, why is the mac version not nearly as good as the pc version ? I run both and dont see differences - besides continuous memory problems, stalls and crashes of the pc version.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 1:25 PM

I've got a 2.8 GHz Pentium-D DP PC (WinXP Pro) right next to a 2.5 GHz G5 DP Mac (OS10.3.9) and the speed difference is rather noticable to me (Poser 5 and Poser 6 demo). Not with small figures but things like the Mil Dragon, I can rotate the PC version (with full texture preview) almost in real time but the Mac lags quite a bit in comparison. Same sort of thing with the Cloth Simulation. But what really gets me is that in a bunch of render tests the Mac was 20% to 30% slower to render. This is especially odd since the render system was liscensed from the Mac only Pixels3D. I very much agree that the PC has out of memory problems that I don't get on the Mac but I'm not seeing much in the way of crashes on either platform. I'd also reconsider Mac Poser if it ever gets DP support and working Python scripting. Python scripts work in Mac Modo with little in the way of problems, so I know it can be done. And I do apologize if it sounded like I was suggesting that Bootcmap worked on PPCs. What I ment was as soon as the Mactel towers come out I'll get one and probably use just use Poser PC under BC. As always this how it works for me and others mileage may vary (and I'd be interested in hearing them!). Best; Dan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.