Tue, Oct 22, 3:40 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / DAZ|Studio

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:46 pm)

Subject: Your Say: D/Studio or Poser

Crooks ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 6:57 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 3:36 AM

Just felt like seeing how many out there prefur to use D/s Over Poser

Personally Like like to Use Daz, I just feel that the end results just look better and, the user interface is easy and symple to use.

My only problem with daz at the moment is (and Im not sure if its something I am doing)
but Alot of the paramerters the alter the figures in poser dont seam to work in daz.

anyway my 25c is on Daz, what's yours?

I GET BORED REAL EASY

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 8:24 AM

Which parameters? Taper, and the hand grasp/thuimb grasp/ spread dials on the hands, don't carry over to D|S. The new build disbales the controls for morphs on the body of fitted clothes if the morphs also exist in the fitted to figure (but you can still use the controls on individual body parts, and remember you can select multiple parts for adjustment). If you savinf figures from Poser 6, you may need to go to Edit>General preferences>Miscellaneous tab and turn off Use external binary morph targets, then resaved the figure: some people have had trouble with external morphs from Poser 6, some haven't (and some of us sometimes have trouble and sometimes don't)  

paulbrittgarcia ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 2:36 PM
  1. I've used both.
  2. DAZ|Studio is not meant to be Poser and never will be..
  3. When DAZ|Studio can create complete "characters" (which it will very soon since the SDK was released) I will no longer need to "deal" with Poser!

Can you figure out what 1+2+3= ???

(If you guess 6 you're right :) )

IO4 ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 4:31 PM

I use D|S all the time for my artwork. I tried a Poser free trial last year after I had started using D|S and I hated it (sorry Poser fans) - I just didn't like the interface and couldn't really get to grips with it. I find D|S so user friendly and very easy to learn in comparison. I think it's fantastic.

Beginners tutorials for Bryce

Bryce Arena

L33tace ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 6:51 PM

I only have Daz|Studio. I did download the Poser trial, tried it out for a couple of hours and removed it afterwards, just didn't take to it at all. Daz girl at heart here.

dallas40m ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 8:17 PM

I expressly use D/S nowdays and have uninstalled poser.  I just like the interface so much better and it catching up rapidly on what it can do vs poser now too.    Dallas

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

Maxfield ( ) posted Mon, 17 April 2006 at 6:29 AM

I think the big difference is whether you're interested in still pictures or animations.

If you're into doing artwork as in the galleries here, then Daz Studio is definitely better than Poser Artist. The rendering engine can do a lot more, the IK for posing is more sophisticated, and there are fewer quirks generally. The interface is a lot more "normal" looking. Poser tends to hide everything in the interests of neatness. Then there's the proper browser window, rather than Poser's slow, lurching library tabs.

But if you want to make animated movies, Poser is still the best choice. With its dopesheet and animation graph, you can fine-tune animations way better than in DS. It's essential if you want to do more than simple pose-to-pose work. Why they added BVH import to DS when you can't clean the files up is a bit of a mystery.  With Poser you can also rotoscope stuff off a background video, change the speed of an animation, smooth out jagged movements, etc.

I suppose a good compromise is to animate your stuff in Poser, then render in DS! I suspect this is what a lot of people will be doing.

Farside ( ) posted Thu, 20 April 2006 at 12:55 AM

A persons preference for the most part will probably be based on which program he/she has gotten used to first.  Most D|S users will tend to be new to this field, older more experienced users will probably stick with Poser for the forseeable future. 

Of course if Poser 7 is just another update of old code and doesn't "modernise" Poser that could change in a big hurry.

dallas40m ( ) posted Thu, 20 April 2006 at 3:37 AM

Well, I for one am definitely not new to 3d so I guess I dont fit that mold.  Dabbling in modeling and 3d graphics now for about 6 years. Used everything from max to lightwave to bryce to poser to cinema to the low end stuff.  Daz just works for me well and outperforms any iteration of poser that I have used.  It is more just a matter of personal preferance and ones willingness or ability to adapt to different software setups. :D 

Warmest Regards,

Dallas

FranR ( ) posted Fri, 21 April 2006 at 3:39 PM

Attached Link: http://myra-chan.deviantart.com

I don't have poser, and although the base package for poser isn't insanely priced, to do all the things I want to do and where I'd buy Poser for makes it almost twice as expensive.

Daz|Studio is free, and worked well for me - but after some time I wanted something more without losing an arm and a leg over it. After adding a few plugins, Daz|Studio becomes so much easier to work with and above all a lot of fun.

It doesn't mean it's perfect though, far from it, but I do have good hopes for it.

The only problem I'm having is that Daz|Studio does not support 5/6 well, especially if they open up the box of magics. So nothing dynamic or anything more advanced than from what was there since Poser 4. Some stuff will work, some won't.

music2u4u ( ) posted Sat, 20 May 2006 at 11:04 PM

I have been using DAZ exclusively for some time now. I tried Poser 5 and hated it. The materials reminded me of other 3d creation programs and Daz uses .jpeg templates which I can use to create textures in photoshop which I love. I have also used Blender and Anim8tor for object creation and then import these .obj files into Daz and create my texture templates in UVMapper off the objects. As far as I am concerned, Daz is in a league by itself so far above the others. I feel I would be lost without it. I use a simple OpenGL render engine and save all the renders in .PNG format. ( .jpegs look very lossy) and the render time is very fast. Daz also allows you to set up your content folders the way you like whereas Poser is kinda picky about that. The new Daz 1.3 offers many new options including support of BVH files for making timeline animations. This is a huge timesaver and hopefully some folks will start offering some preset BVH files here as freebies.Anyway....Daz gets two thumbs up from me.......besides,the best thing yet is this.........it's FREE!!!!!!. Poser is not.

SophiD ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 7:00 AM

DAZ|Studio is what got me into 3D - so I'm a new user. Be that as it may, I've tried out Poser, and have my reservations about it. The camera controls aren't as easy - you can't move the camera, say in or out, by scrolling the mouse wheel; the libraries tend to be SLOW loading and it really takes hours to plow through them to find what you want. As FranR said, with a couple of plugins added, DAZ|Studio is da bomb!  It may lack the sophistication of Poser in materials/texture handling, but I'm confident it will get there eventually and in a more user-friendly fashion!!

JVipond ( ) posted Tue, 23 May 2006 at 11:28 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

file_342917.jpg

I've used the first four versions of Poser (never bothered to upgrade to version 5 or 6) as well as DAZ|Studio. I still have Poser 4.03 on my computer, but I use DAZ|Studio almost exclusively. I'm not ready to give up on Poser yet because I have one custom female figure (picture attached), based on Paul Hafeli's long-gone AllMorph Woman, that I made in Poser 4, and I'm hoping that a future version of DAZ|Studio will support Poser's Taper dials.

klown ( ) posted Fri, 02 June 2006 at 10:33 AM

If I could spawn MT's in D|S then I would be 100% D|S instead of ivroy soap (99.97% D|S and .03% poser) and I used to be 100% poser.

Nightwind ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2006 at 2:46 AM

Well, I got a new computer, and that ended working in Poser 6 for the  most part.  I haven't worked much in DS, but I'm learning my  way around. I added the shader pack to DS, and I'm really enjoying playing with it.

I'd been a Poser user  for several years, but now I think I'll be sticking with the Daz software line.

I just hope there's a DS to Carrara import in the not too distant future.:)

Nightwind ( ) posted Mon, 05 June 2006 at 3:28 AM

Okay, so I'm not overly bright today. Just discovered the .fbx plugin for DS will do the trick.

leehilliard ( ) posted Thu, 08 June 2006 at 8:22 AM

i started about 2 years ago with daz. i now have p5 and 6. i haven't used them much since daz released their newest  version . there is a big difference in how it works. it also seems to be more compatible with some of posers materials. i'd say daz will be just as good as poser in the future.   

estherau ( ) posted Sat, 17 June 2006 at 9:28 PM

Can DS make use of dynamic clothes yet though? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 8:39 AM

Nope, except by using DFormers to bend them by hand.

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 8:47 AM

Are they going to make dynamic clothes work in the future, and if so, any idea when? Love esther

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

leehilliard ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 11:53 AM

i'd like to know that too.even though i have the other 2 . lee

RHaseltine ( ) posted Sun, 18 June 2006 at 2:31 PM

No idea - nothing has been announced, though cloth and hair are obvious things to add and I know there are requests in.

Arvanor ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 7:21 AM

Personally i like Poser more and i am used to it. DAZ Studio is great, especially because it is free and gives people the possibility to do their first steps in 3D. But as i said before, i use mostly Poser 6.

If by my life or death I can protect you, I will!

melriks ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 4:33 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Does anyone know if there is a feature to feature comparison between DazStudio and Poser 6 on the forums?  I just recently jumped into these two programs.  When I bought/downloaded them, I couldn't tell from the Daz marketing materials that DazStudio was supposed to be a Poser alternative.

Had I known (or been a member of these forums to read these reviews), I might have waited to purchase Poser 6.  As a newbie, the Poser interface seems a little less daunting but a little more restrictive.

Melriks

leehilliard ( ) posted Tue, 20 June 2006 at 11:36 PM

i recently started using the newest version of daz. there seems to be a great deal more than meets the eye. it seems to have a great deal in common with poser. unfortunatly its been trial and error for me as far as what it's truly capable of. i do know it  can now use p5 and some p6 stuff.  which  of course makes sense now that daz and eovia have merged.

whbos ( ) posted Sun, 25 June 2006 at 4:48 PM

I've been using Poser too long to give it up (since version 2 and I forget what year that was).  I found DAZ Studio is easier to select and apply from different Runtimes unlike Poser which requires too much clicking.  The interface is better than Poser's and less cluttered, but I just can't get the hang of using it as my primary program.  I still prefer Poser 5 & 6 over DS, and DS doesn't import Poser scenes very well--items disappear from the scene.  Also, I use Poser 5/6 with Vue 5 exclusively and Vue doesn't import DS files.  I'm kind of sorry I upgraded to Poser 6 since I still use Poser 5 mostly.  Poser 4 was ideal except that it doesn't accept multiple Runtimes and there are limits to subfolders.

Overall, I think DAZ Studio shows promise and one day I may switch to it and dump Poser.  I think the main reason that DAZ Studio is so popular is because it's free (which is okay) and it gives people an opportunity to try out 3D modeling and posing which is also a good thing especially for merchants selling content.

One of these days I'm going to try to learn DAZ Studio.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

shinwa ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 1:40 PM

I prefer Daz Studio. The interface is superb and it runs much faster than Poser.

leehilliard ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 2:00 PM

just for info daz has released an even newer version sometime in the last 2 weeks. i haven't noticed a big difference yet.  it's good to see that they are interested in keeping their users though.

i've also noticed more clothing and props for daz popping up on the web. that will definitley keep them in competition . 

Graviton ( ) posted Tue, 11 July 2006 at 4:08 AM · edited Tue, 11 July 2006 at 4:10 AM

I started out with Poser 4, then moved up to 5 and more recently 6. However, I started using DazStudio about a week ago and it's been like a breath of fresh air. Poser has got so bogged down over the years that it's become like trying to work in a bath of molasses. DazStudio is so much faster, easier, intuitive, and more fun to use. I'm still experimenting with DS right now and as I never render in Poser (and don't intend to render in DS either) I have been experimenting with .obj exports to other programs (Carrara and Bryce). There are some excellent export options in DS and so far so good. I find Poser so unenjoyable to use that I would love DazStudio to replace it in my workflow and the price of DS cannot be argued with either.

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

waldotim ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 8:15 PM

I bought Poser5 the day after I downloaded DAZ|Studio (2005-01-05), and used them concurrently for about six months, then bought Poser6. As far as I'm concerned, Poser is a special-purpose tool who's only really useful feature is dynamic cloth. The dynamic hair looks like dog poop, so you can keep it. Poser is intolerably slow (I have a 3.4GHz P4HT w/2GB RAM and an nVidia Quadro FX 3-something that cost me US$1,300.00), so I'll stick to DAZ|Studio unless I'm really bored and want to spend ten minutes trying to rotate my viewport ten degrees. And speaking of rotating my viewport, what kind of drugs were the Poser developers on when they wrote the camera manipulation code!?! I've done a lot of photography as well, so don't hand me that crap from the manual about 'it's more like how a photographer would move his camera'. DAZ|Studio: point the camera at the object and it becomes the focal point of manipulation. Sure you can do that in Poser, but it's like pulling teeth to get it to work right. And Poser's magnets make me insane, the D-Form plugin for DAZ|Studio works much better, more predictably and with less waiting around. The only real feature DAZ|Studio is missing at this point, that requires that virtually every render go through at least some post-work, is that the 3Delight renderer can't really do smooth polygons the way FireFly can.

/rant

Caly ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 7:03 AM

I love the Studio libraries!

That said, I use them both, though I started with Poser 4 & then jumped to Poser 6 and am more comfortable there.  Years of habit and all that.  Must learn more new-fangled things...  :p

Calypso Dreams... My Art- http://www.calypso-dreams.com

Renderosity Gallery

modus0 ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 9:34 AM

P6 almost exclusively, although I will occasionally load up D|S to compare something.

I like the D|S library navigation much better than Poser's, while at the same time, I like having body part specific cameras in Poser (head especially) and the "rooms" which keep the main interface from getting too cluttered. I couldn't care less about dynamic hair, but I love dynamic clothing and wish there was more.

Also, not having pwSurface, I find Poser's material room much more adaptable to something I may want to try than the rather simple D|S surface palette.

For me, both programs have something I like, but currently Poser has more for me to like and use than D|S, and that's why I'm staying with it.

I've also noticed that on my system (Intel P4 3.2 ghz, 2 Gb RAM) that V3 loads a few seconds faster in Poser 6, and P6 creates a new scene faster.

If you're joking that's just cruel, but if you're being sarcastic, that's even worse.

waldotim ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 10:19 AM

Yeah, the body part-specific cameras are kinda cool, but you can do that in DAZ|Studio, too. In fact, if you load a camera set designed to work in Poser, you'll get all those cameras anyway, and it's a simple matter to train them on their respective body part.

Ghostofmacbeth ( ) posted Wed, 16 August 2006 at 12:29 PM

I hate the DAZ Studio libraries ... For me, I like Poser much better. I hate a lot of it but it runs smoother for me and I am not cussing it out on a regular basis while working on stuff. Except the material room. That makes lots of foul words come, jsut because I don't have a degree in advanced calulus or soemthing. I rarely touch the dynamic cloth and I never touch the dynamic hair but Poser just flows better for me. Partly because I HATE the DAZ Studio library.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.