Mon, Oct 21, 10:11 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:26 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Help with importing models!!!

Remix1121 ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 8:25 PM · edited Mon, 21 October 2024 at 10:11 PM

Im having some big probs :P. Atm i can only import like one model V3 with texture map. If i import 2 characters carrara crashes =/. When model with just body texture and hair uses about 800mb ram :P. iv talked to people that have imported 8characters +. And no problems. Im using carrara 5.0 PRO. im on a amd 4000+ 1gb ram and a Geforce 7800GTX. And from people iv talked to they have had a less powerfull computer then me and being able to import more characters. What could i be doing wrong?.. Thx

Remix1121 ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 10:14 PM

I have updated my drivers still the same thing =/ Iv heard people talking about carrara being able to render scenes that poser cant. So there must be something wrong.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 11:32 PM

Attached Link: http://www.daz3d.com/support/downloads.php?product=car_down

Hi Remix, You mention that you are using Carrara 5.0 It's actually at 5.1 now and the .1 update did address some Poser import issues. Just double check that before we start trouble shooting other possibilities. I've posted the link above. Mark

Remix1121 ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 11:47 PM

Hi Mark. Thx for the link. I just updated to 5.1. I still have the same problem tho :(. Carrara is a real system hog with only one V3 character with a texture map. If i import 2 characters it crashes =(.

bwtr ( ) posted Thu, 29 June 2006 at 11:58 PM

I just loaded 4 Poser people into Carrara--and my system is not as good as yours?

Find your crashing problem quite strange.

bwtr

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:04 AM

Same. Not sure what it can be. I bought Carrara yesterday. Installed it. Opened poser 6. Saved a few characters with clothes and without. Tried all of em, they all use same amount of memory no matter which textures i use on em or if they have clothes or not. I also tried native just opening victoria 3 SAE without textures and same problem there, carrara uses about 500-600mb just for that.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:05 AM

file_346844.gif

Hmmmm, I haven't had that problem. (bet you don't want to hear that...) My system will slow down when I get more than about 10 characters in a single scene, but two should be no problem. The first thing I'd try is resetting the Carrara Preferences (Carrara>File>Reset Preferences) It's always a smart thing to do after an update. Then, before you import any characters, try selecting the Eovia software renderer instead of Open GL (found under the interactive render settings) Sometimes C is a little finicky about OpenGL depending on your video card.

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:11 AM · edited Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:12 AM

Wow 10 characters. Now i really want it to work hehe. Tried resetting preferences and using Eovia software renderer. Problem still persists though :(.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:15 AM

Charming. Are you importing with the Native importer or Transposer?

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:20 AM

I have tried both of em. Same amount of memory is used no matter which of em i use to import a character. That's what i find strange. A untextured character uses same amount of memory as a fully textured one with clothes. So strange.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:30 AM

Sorry to ask a million questions but it's breaking up my work in a good way. :) Does this happen when you use characters besides V3 or when you import V3 without a texture?

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:33 AM

Now for example i used Native importer and opened miki.cr2. Carrara is atm using about 630mb memory. 1 more and it crashes. Same thing with michael 3. This is without textures.

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 12:42 AM

Don't have any more suggestions at the moment. :-P Let's see if someone else chimes in...

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 1:02 AM

Hehe okey. Thx for trying :).

Remix1121 ( ) posted Fri, 30 June 2006 at 2:21 AM · edited Fri, 30 June 2006 at 2:22 AM

Anyone else have any suggestions? I really want Carrara to work =/

jrabbit ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 3:36 AM

Humm , One of the reasons I like Carrara is it will handle so many characters at once. My lightwaved could not handle more than 7 or so but I've imported over 20 into Carrara many times.  That was with Carrara 3 and amd xp2800's 1gig ram. When I got C5pro I upgraded all my computers to pentium 4's  3.4ghz dual cores still only one gig ram.  As when I tested preformance  with 2 gig of ram it only added 1.2seconds speed on a 30 minute render and no difference on handling scenes. so it was unjustified to add the extra ram.

The only freeze Issue I ever had was caused by my video drivers on a ati 9600 256ddr card . I could not use textured preview until I removed the catalyst drivers. amd 4000 cpu is 64 bit. my guess is its in that area. As nvidia 64bit drivers are used ? Carrara's not 64 bit , I read somewhere once it cant take extra advantage of 64 bit systems.  with one vicky 3 textured at 3000x on my system carrara uses about 460meg ram. But whats interesting is with 8 it only less than doubles at 760megs used. my page file is set to 5gig so after about 10 vickys it goes into page file but handles them up to about 22 before its slowwwwwwwww.

I would write Eovia and give your system specs and problem.

Remix1121 ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 7:46 AM

Ok i'll try Eovia and see what they say :). Or do i email Daz about that now? Thx for the suggestion :).

jrabbit ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 1:23 PM

LOL yeh Eovia site still works probably better response time they where always super fast for me. Daz is uhhhmm slow.

maybe thats changed ?

jrabbit ( ) posted Sat, 01 July 2006 at 2:56 PM

Remix1121
One more thought , I had a problem once because of a windows skin. Carrara didnt like windows trying to skin its box.

bhoins ( ) posted Tue, 04 July 2006 at 11:57 AM

Stupid Question. Are you loading multiple pz3's?

I have found that using Transposer in particular, that when merging in pz3's that things tend to bog down in a hurry. Much more so than loading in cr2 natively in Carrara.

Just a thought.

ren_mem ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 12:43 AM

Try this. Restart your system. load carrara and see what your commit charge is. Shouldn't be above 300mb...I don't believe, probably below that. Then bring in vicky's.cr2 might become close to double. Start with clean file. You have to remember to remove unused master shaders and objects if you are using the same file to import into. In other words you are leaving trash in your file if you don't. The other thing is whether or not the cr2's are defaults or loaded with all the morphs. They can make a file huge. I have heard of some issues w/ slow downs on Macs, but no confirmation on mem usage accompanied that. A large texture cache also appears to drive up the paging file, but not give it back so I would keep that fairly low. Not official just some observations of my own...with a couple of files.

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

Remix1121 ( ) posted Wed, 05 July 2006 at 6:54 PM

bhoins: I'v tried importing only one pz3 and also merging two scenes. Still get the same results =/. ren_ mem: I'll try that, see if it helps any. Thx.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.