Fri, Oct 4, 9:27 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Less Surfers?

Oils_on_Display ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 2:53 PM · edited Fri, 04 October 2024 at 9:26 PM

.:Hi all - I’ve noticed, since this site had a bit of an ‘overhaul’ and things were changed that there are less surfers. Am I just strange have the numbers always been like this? I realize that at different times there are more/less people on the site but I haven’t changed my surfing times and I remember there being more in the region of 1500 - 2000 people online, ever since the site structure change I don’t really see more than 1300 people online. Again this is a question. If you think I’m not right let me know what times you surf the site and what number of surfers you’ve seen since the changes. If indeed there has been a drop in the number of Renderosity users why?:.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 2:58 PM · edited Sun, 16 July 2006 at 2:59 PM

dont forget the visitors are spread over 2 or 3 servers now so the one you see  is only on the server where you are now... :} more on other server and before all where seen at once...

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

Oils_on_Display ( ) posted Sun, 16 July 2006 at 3:09 PM

.:oh thanx - i thought i was being stupid, i just needed some clarification:.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 10:53 AM

Also the changeover coincided with the advent of warmer weather over the Northern Hemisphere so just maybe a bunch of folks are taking in the old Vitamin D instaed of chaining themselves to a 'puter to stay warm...LOL

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

lundqvist ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:53 PM

Or possibly the site's hit such a level of bland mediocrity that folk are starting to notice.

No. Sorry, couldn't be that.

As you were. There's a shop over yonder --->

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:23 PM

file_348424.png

> Quote - Or possibly the site's hit such a level of bland mediocrity that folk are starting to notice. > > No. Sorry, couldn't be that.

Probably not.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:24 PM

file_348425.png

But then again, it's all just a matter of personal opinion -- as these graphs clearly show.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:26 PM

file_348426.png

But of course, there *are* ways to skew the data........

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:27 PM
lundqvist ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:44 PM

That was very clever. I wish I had thought of that.

The comparison with CGTalk might have been a bit of a completely wise move though. It sort of suggests a "more is not always better" type of thing.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:52 PM

As everyone knows, the good folks here at Rendo don't have a clue about what they are doing -- or about how to run a business.  After all, they've been informed of this fact many, many times over the years.

With a few more inept business decisions like these under their belt, Rendo might just manage to catch up with Matt Drudge one of these days.......if any 3D art site can.......although DAZ would probably stand a good chance of doing it, too.

lundqvist ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 3:29 PM

Well... yes they've done a routine business of exploiting a hobbyist market whilst trying (and largely failing) to appeal to the pros. They've even brought an original creation (Renda) into this world. Hope there's more to come :)

Plus, this site does act as a test bed for Bondware, so I suppose it's a sort of write-off anyway.

We're just not going to agree here, I guess.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 3:47 PM

Quote - We're just not going to agree here, I guess.

Probably not.

Over time, a select number of persons have insisted that they knew much better than the Rendo admins about how a site like this one ought to be run.  A few of the naysayers have even gone so far as to go out & attempt it.  One or two of them have enjoyed modest success.  But most others have fallen flat on their faces.

Rendo a "write-off"?  Well......I've never attended any of the business meetings at the Bondware offices, so I can't claim to be privy to such sensitive information.  But for some reason -- I feel safe in saying that the assertion is somewhat unlikely. 😉

We can debate all day long about the reasons for Rendo's clear domination of the 3D market.  But in my view: the figures speak for themselves.  They always have.

Nothing succeeds like success.  And Renderosity is -- by most realistic yardsticks of measuring such things -- successful.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 4:19 PM

"I've never attended any of the business meetings at the Bondware offices, so I can't claim to be privy to such sensitive information."

Yes..but we as members should have the right to know this information. Not only that,we should also have the right to know who came up with the ideas put forth,exactly what was on their mind that day,what(if any) medications they may have been taking during the thought process,as well as what they had for breakfast that morning among any other conditions that may have contributed to the idea.

These are all simple inquiries, as well as information that should be readily available to any member,at any time, so that we might know all of the "why's and "What for's" that describe the day to day business of this site.

Perhaps a live streaming video of the Staff meetings would be made available in multiple formats so those in the "Browser of the week"club will be able to view it too.

However it gets implemented should also be described if full detail to the membership so we can approve it before even the first bit of work begins.

I'm sure that the cost of such a feature would be covered by our membership fees.

I don't think as members,we are asking too much of the site we hold so dear to our hearts.

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 4:42 PM

Quote - I don't think as members,we are asking too much of the site we hold so dear to our hearts. 

Tom

I agree with you completely.  You've stated the entire essence of the matter very succiently.  In fact, I expect to have a complete copy of Bondware's financial books sitting on my desk by the middle of next week -- as well as copies of the minutes for all staff meetings dating back to 1999.  And copies of all personnel records (including personal medical histories, credit reports, & SS #'s), of course.

And yes -- the video/audio web broadcast of everything that happens in the Bondware offices is an excellent suggestion.  Very well considered.  We could even time it whenever someone on staff goes into the restroom.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 5:37 PM

file_348437.png

This is kind of fun.

Things are all relative, I suppose.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 2:24 AM

XENOPHONZ could do a chart with deviantart.com in it? I'm curious if and/or where they fit in.
 Thanks.

:biggrin:

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 2:42 AM

file_348463.png

I'd compare a place like deviantart more with something like myspace than I would with Rendo.  Deviantart isn't the same type of website as Rendo is.  Deviantart is almost like a pure-blog site -- a thing which Rendo has only just started doing (as of today) itself.  But here's a chart.

I'm vaguely curious as to why Drudge slumped so much in late March/early April.  Interesting.  But he picked right back up again.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 2:44 AM · edited Tue, 18 July 2006 at 2:48 AM

file_348464.png

Here's another.  I've added livejournal to the mix, just out of curiosity.

If Rendo's new blogs really take off, it just might increase the traffic around here.  3D art is still something of a niche subject.  But it's a niche that Rendo does very, very well.  The only pure-3D site to roughly equal Rendo's performance is DAZ.  As far as I've seen, nobody else is even close.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:08 AM

file_348498.jpg

I thought I'd weigh in here just a wee bit with additional data from Alexa which goes more directly to the original question: "Less Surfers?"

Before I checked them, I thought maybe Alexa wasn't capturing all the different "new" server prefixes, but it looks like they've got them (market., excalibur., camelot., etc).

Answer: 3-mos traffic Down

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:09 AM

file_348499.jpg

And this informatio, too:

Page views Down

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:21 AM · edited Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:23 AM

file_348501.jpg

And this one, too:

Speed is Slow

I guess the conclusion is "No, it's not just your imagination" Also, this all appears to be 3-month data, so I wouldn't expect "warm summer temperatures" is the full explanation, either.

just my two cents...I can still offer it, can't I?

stonemason ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:28 AM

Quote - But then again, it's all just a matter of personal opinion -- as these graphs clearly show.

not entirely 'clear',cgtalk changed there url  this year

www.cgsociety.org

& I get different results from you using all those urls..how reliable is Alexa?

Cg Society Portfolio

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:36 AM

file_348502.jpg

> Quote - And this informatio, too: > > Page views **Down**

shrug

No big news there.  If you'll look across the board at other websites, you'll see that they ALL go up & down over time.  At the moment, google is "down".........

It isn't a given snapshot that matters.  It's the overall trend over time.  And in case if you missed it, Rendo has just come down off of a large spike.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:37 AM

file_348503.jpg

DAZ is "down", too.......

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote - & I get different results from you using all those urls..how reliable is Alexa?

Admittedly, that's another issue.  If you do a little checking, you'll find that there's a roaring debate going on over all internet traffic tracking figures......and their trustworthiness.

But you can only rely upon the sources that are available to you.......overall, I suspect that Alexa is within the ballpark.  I doubt that anyone (except perhaps for the NSA or Mi5) have totally accurate records.  And probably not even the NSA or Mi5.

calyxa ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:50 AM

and now for my pet peeve:

less traffic, fewer surfers

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 11:52 AM

BTW II -- I strongly suspect that the reason why DAZ and Renderosity roughly pace each other traffic-wise is due to the fact that in large measure the two websites share the same audience.

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 12:41 PM

XENOPHONZ wrote:

Quote - And in case if you missed it, Rendo has just come down off of a large spike.

I'd label that spike simple "curiosity" about the new site changes...and it seems most of the extra traffic flow didn't stay long after getting an eyefull.

But I could be wrong...on all accounts. It just seemed to me the original question was: Are There Less Surfers Since the Site Changes. And the answer seems to be "YES" ...regardless of "why" and regardless of whether traffic is down anywhere else. I didn't think the answer had been really provided by your other Alexa charts, as interesting as they are. There's alot of "noise" in charts like those...some sort of summarization of data helps to clarify the information. That's all.

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 1:02 PM

My point was that the # of surfers for websites goes up & down all of the time.  And that's no biggie.

The changes which Rendo has instituted are basically brand-new.  In fact, they aren't even 100% completed yet.  Let's come back in a year's time, and then we'll have a clearer picture of just exactly what effect the changes have had, long-term.

The "up-down" tracking is relative to the performance of other websites.  It can almost be like watching the scoreboard for a basketball game that never ends.  Once in awhile, something like myspace will come along, grow exponentially overnight, and then skew the entire comparison traffic equation for everyone else.  It happens.

By and large, Rendo is what it is.  Like it or not -- love it, hate it, be totally indifferent to it -- Rendo pretty much dominates this market.  Frankly, I don't see any evidence of that fact changing anytime soon.

We'll see what happens in a year.  And even then -- the "why" is always more important than the "what".  Because the "why" always lies at the root of things.

Hawkfyr ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 1:07 PM

"and now for my pet peeve:

less traffic, fewer surfers

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/amount.html
 "

I'll bet some couldn't care fewer Caly.

8 )

Tom

“The fact that no one understands you…Doesn’t make you an artist.”

calyxa ( ) posted Tue, 18 July 2006 at 1:30 PM

yeah, I know, it's a "loosing" battle.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.