Tue, Oct 22, 5:20 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 3:28 pm)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Im notta dood, dood O.o

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 6:59 PM · edited Tue, 06 August 2024 at 10:59 PM

OK quite frankly I have to shoot off my mouth about a certain feature. It would seem that when I save an image to my fave images list, it will tell the person that "IgnisSerpentus has added your image to his favorite images" even though Im not a HE! And besides that, I have female friends that have saved my images and its said they were hes too.

I know this is prolly a silly thing to gripe about in the scheme of things and I also know that I saw a post somewhere a while back explaining that it was "proper english" or some such bunk to say his rather than their.... but screw English, thats soooo sexist!!! And its also misleading. Anyone who doesnt know Im a chick (especially if their also taking into consideration my very pungent attitude lol) would think Im a dood... and its bad enuff my name is already misleading unto itself.

And maybe Im the only one in the world that thinks this totally sucks (but I doubt it) nevertheless, I just had to vent and say so. Ok Im done now.

:skips off to go check out some hot chicks and phat rides: ROFL 

calyxa ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:15 PM

it shouldn't be too hard to re-word these things to not use gender-specific pronouns at all..

for example:

"Your image, Foo Bar Baz, has been added to the favorite image list of the member IgnisSerpentus."

I don't think that's terribly stilted, and it's certainly better than,

"IgnusSerpentus has added your image to its favorite images."

:tt2:

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:18 PM

I myself have no problem as I represent myself as myself and have an avatar that resembles me ...end of that confusion but I as well list that sexist "he/his"  'quirk' in the site as one of my peeves here...will add your post to mine and post in the PHP section on this....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:21 PM

ROFL yeah I wouldnt suggest "it" either. But I agree... even using "their favorite images" would be better than this sexist bs they're pulling on us. Oh Im just so upset over this blatant smack in feminisms' face that I feel the need to go burn my bra :giggles relentlessly:

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:23 PM

whoa! they still haven't fixed that? how hard could it be?

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:24 PM

LOL...yer a funny girl..I like that, heh heh heh

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:26 PM

Oh I dont think they ever were intending to fix that... like I said, I saw another thread with a mod defending it. But I dont think theres a female alive that would be okay with being called a him.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:55 PM

Well it was stated that this was how it would stay but I will bring this up again and see what I can do:)

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 8:04 PM

Thanks Stacey... it would be mucho appreciated :o)

Mock ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 9:02 PM

Your a DUDE hehe :lol:

FlyByNight ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 9:32 PM

Yep, I don't really care for being called a "him" either. Hope it can be fixed.

FlyByNight

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 9:34 PM

LOL Well I do have balls, but not those kind! hahaa

Faery_Light ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 10:28 PM

ROFLOL @ "Well I do have balls, but not those kind!" Years ago there was a Woolworth in North city and they had a lunch counter. A waitress there used to call my mother Sir. My students used to call me Mr. Helen...hmmm, maybe they had a prob? My nick here doesn't exactly tell which I am, male or female, but it would be nice if I didn't get listed as a he. :)

Let me introduce you to my multiple personalities. :)
     BluEcho...Faery_Light...Faery_Souls.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 11:19 PM

they may well find themselves yielding to the inescapable logic of the situation. :lol: it's less server-intensive to have a generic message (e.g. you have been added to "username's" favourites list) than to force the server to go thru the database, trying to find if it's an him, an her or an "it", then forcing the server to insert the appropriate possessive form into the favourites message, as well as the username.

calyxa ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 11:38 PM

I avoided using an apostrophe in my suggested re-wording, 'cuz apostrophes are like single quotes and can fubar up scripts when you least expect it, and while "Miss Nancy's" works well, not all user names will "correctly" take an apostrophe-s:

• If the word ends in an s but is singular, practice varies as to whether to add 's or only an apostrophe. (For discussion on this and the following points, see below).
  • In general, a good practice is to follow whichever spoken form is judged best: Boss's shoes, Mrs. Jones' hat (or Mrs. Jones's hat, if that spoken form is preferred). In many cases, both spoken and written forms will differ between people.

(source wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostrophe_(mark) )

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 12:33 AM

Hey IS! We all know about your love of snakes....maybe someone to it a step further?! LOL! I had to comment on your Way Wicked Site! I was mesmerized by the whole layout! Very Nice.
huggerz
Ariana

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

Lampy ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:06 AM

Why can't we all be called "her"?

gillbrooks ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 5:00 AM
Online Now!

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2653583

Yea, I bought this subject up a few weeks ago - I already get mistaken too often for a dood because I shorten my name (Gillian) to Gill :(

It started off with good intentions then sorta degenerated into a Star Trek discussion !!!

Gill

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 12:46 PM

Crimson: Well thanks hon... Im glad you dig it. And LOL I think they should code mine to read "That evil snake added your image to her highnesses favorites" lmao! Hey, a girl can dream, right? lol

Gill: Yeah, people seem to forget that "G" also sounds like "J" LOL And all threads in here are like that... people seem to take some matters too serious, and others not serious at all. I hope though, with enuff peeps complaining they might contemplate changing it. Coz Im not sure I can actively support a site who calls everyone "him" Im much too feminist for that teehee 😉

gillbrooks ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 12:54 PM
Online Now!

Well, if they don't change it soon, some of us will have to go out and buy some strap-on wotsits to make us 'doods' hahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Gill

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:03 PM

LMFAO!!! Well if they dont change it, I think we'll start seeing things like widespread remote hogging and a rise in farting and belching LOL And some peeps think the gallery is bad now with all the NVIATWAS pics... could u imagine what it would be like then?? rofl It would be like invasion of the body snatchers... only with boobs taking over instead

Giolon ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:23 PM · edited Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:27 PM

Are you kidding me?  Women don't exist on the internet. ;)

In all seriousness, of all the things that can still be improved on the site -- adding FCK editor to image descriptions, having the homepage display a separate set of "Recent Uploads" in addition to the improperly named featured images currently labeled as such, adding a one-stop toggle for e-bots favorites notifications (do you want to have to toggle hundreds of them by hand?), etc. -- you want them to spend their time adding a he/she message to ebot notifications b/c you're offended by the universal "he"? o_0

In case you didn't notice, Renderosity didn't invent English.  It merely uses it.  ;)

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:36 PM

Ah well, we all have our priorities. In the scheme of things, I can personally live with most of the features Rendo adds or doesnt add... we have our own website that can be cookie cutter catered to us... and there are other art sites out there besides. But what I cant live with is my moral fiber being screwed with. And to me, that says exactly what you said - women dont exist on the internet. Like we dont even make up a decent population of this site to be noted properly (and Ill bet you find its mostly women on here) Its the freakin millenium people... time to get out of the stone age. And please dont quote the "good english" thing to me either... its all well and fine to use English, but to the point of being that proper is redundant (and did I mention its sexist too?)

Giolon ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:45 PM · edited Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:52 PM

Sexist? Well the bible says God did create woman from man...and  you can't have woman without man, nor she without he...

Ok, ok, I'm just poking at you now, I stop!  (I'm completely joking by the way).

It really shouldn't be that hard for them to change their text string from "his" to "his or her" if only they could be convinced to...

But every e-mail they send will consume 7 more bytes of bandwidth!  Do you really want to inflict that kind of stress upon their servers?! (lol j/k I know that's nothing).

Finally, it's true.  Women don't exist on the Internet.  Ask anyone!  You don't exist! (<---Blatant ignorant hyperbole warning for the slow)

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:01 PM

Quote - Giolon -- Are you kidding me?  Women don't exist on the internet. ;)

Uhhhhh........depends upon which websites you visit, I suppose........I'd say that on Rendo (and on most other Poser-related sites, too) -- women most definitely exist.........in great numbers, in fact.

shrug  I -- for one -- have absolutely no problems with that.  No problems at all.......

Quote - Giolon -- Finally, it's true.  Women don't exist on the Internet.  Ask anyone!  You don't exist! (<---Blatant ignorant hyperbole warning for the slow)

Eh?  What?  What's "hyperbowl" mean?

But it's true statement -- not everyone out there is a dud.....uh......I mean a dude (sp? dood?).  Good thing, too.  If everyone was a dude, then I'd be very upset.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:01 PM · edited Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:02 PM

LOL Well Im not even asking them to change it to his or her... even their would be fine... or rewording it entirely to include the username (tho I do PHP too and that would prolly be overkill - but changing it to "their" would be cake) Just as long as the populous doesnt go around assuming everyones a he... or assuming mostly males create art.

And yes I know the whole rib thing lol but theres an explanation for that too. God created man, he realized he screwed up and then created woman. He stopped there coz he had finally gotten it right. :snickers relentlessly: All joking aside tho, Id be here bitching just as vehemently if it was calling everyone a her too. Im just a fair kinna person... perhaps to a fault.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 2:31 PM

Okay I am adding this to my list of things to revisit once some of the priority issues such as the rest of the conversion pieces have been addressed.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 6:35 PM

Whew....now maybe we can put this thread to bed....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...LOL

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 6:38 PM

Oh, thatll only happen if I decide to close my mouth heh

TerraDreamer ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 10:14 AM

file_349183.jpg

> Quote - ...that I feel the need to go burn my bra...

Awww, don't do that!  Give it to Bruce!

IgnisSerpentus ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 12:37 PM

LMAAAAAAAAAO!! Im gonna have nighmares now O.o

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 12:34 AM

...damn sexist software.... :) 

...... Kendra

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 3:39 AM
Online Now!

BWAHAHAAAAAA!

Gill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.