Tue, Sep 3, 9:44 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 02 7:24 pm)

Subject: Surpising technique: Grass in Poser

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 7:33 PM · edited Mon, 26 August 2024 at 6:00 PM

Attached Link: Queen Mora

file_349037.jpg

Okay, I don't know how many of you have experimented with displacement mapping in Poser.  It has some wonderful potential I don't see being used.  For example I stumbled onto this while working on my latest piece. (see link) I needed a plush lawn of dark grass, I downloaded models of grass and ... choaked my system trying to render it.  Then I found "grass" in my material files (don't know where I got it but  the technique is fairly simple)  I hope these settings can be of some help to you all.  :)

Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

fuaho ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 10:07 PM

Cool! Thanx!!

<"))###<<

dphoadley ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 10:39 PM · edited Mon, 24 July 2006 at 10:40 PM

Very nice render, the grass looks very believable.  Nice looking girl, but the bend on the wrist of the right hand needs to be touched up a bit.  The way its posed looks like the top edge of a creased piece of cardstock.

That aside, all in all, I'd say the render is top rate.
Yours truly,
David P. Hoadley

STOP PALESTINIAN CHILD ABUSE!!!! ISLAMIC HATRED OF JEWS

linkdink ( ) posted Mon, 24 July 2006 at 11:05 PM

Talk about perfect timing.... I was just about to make a pic that needed some grass, and I didn't want to have to fire up Bryce after al these years of neglect... Thank you! I will try this in P6.....

Gallery

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 4:29 AM

This is perfect, thank you.  Sharen

tainted_heart ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 5:08 AM

That's pretty good work Boni. I don't think you need to use the bump channel though. Using the displacement channel should be enough. Bump only simulates texture and depth so using both to do your grass seems overkill. Using the displacement channel is a good way to do it though. I use a noise node myself, but I like the way the node you used varies the color.

It's all fun and games...
Until the flying monkeys attack!!! 

mickmca ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 5:39 AM

Interesting. If you drop Displacement and Granite Balance to 0.2, you get a pretty good shag carpet. It gets a bit more realistic if you add Noise/Turbulence to the Granite colors.

And one limitation: Don't expect it to work in closeups, because Displacement runs the blades of grass right through the toes. :)

M

RedHawk ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 5:53 AM

Very cool!

I love material room tricks!

<-insert words of wisdom here->

DarkEdge ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 8:51 AM

very nice...good work!

Comitted to excellence through art.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 11:39 AM

Attached Link: Procedural Grass Techniques

Yep - you can also use hair.

Follow the link.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 25 July 2006 at 1:56 PM

Totally right on the bump channel ... I just never changed the original setting on that.  As far as the wrist goes, thanks for pointing that out.  I'll fix that.  :)  The Hair technique I considered, but when I tried grass props it choked my system, I wasn't sure what the hair room would do ... but it will work great for closeups and I'll do that next time.   Great link!  Thanks all.

Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.