Mon, Sep 23, 3:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Vue 6 unveiled at SIGGRAPH

CobraEye ( ) posted Wed, 02 August 2006 at 11:31 PM

Thats why a downgrade may be in order. After all, what features would you really be missing if you had vue 6 and not vue 6 infinite?

Veritas777 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 4:00 AM

Let's see- I think E-on calls that "The RenderBull™ Option"- take all your years of time and money invested in Vue and DOWNGRADE... heh!

Actually- what appears you will NOT get is the Eco-systems Gen II features, plus a lot of other things- that you would EXPECT in a standard upgrade...

BTW- don't you think it's odd that there appears to be NOTHING on the E-on website about a more advanced PLANT EDITOR? It seemed like nearly 50% of the Vue user base (last year) all chimed in that they wanted MORE ADVANCED PLANT EDITING FEATURES... So far, I can't find anything about it- (E-on's ORIGINAL number 1 claim-to-fame over Bryce, Carrara, etc.).

attileus ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 6:10 AM · edited Thu, 03 August 2006 at 6:16 AM

I myself wonder one thing: How will Displacement Mapping affect the terrain mesh?  Will the DM positively destroy the mesh triangles sometimes seen on low reso meshes ?  It would be interesting to see a test render using DP on low poly mesh and check the effect; it looks great on the E-on site turning a sphere into a stone. 

thundering1 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 6:57 AM

Veritas777 - the general idea is that if you are buying their highest end product, you're more than likely going to be using it for professional results. It doesn't have to be Hollywood - it can be product or architectural visualization, illustration, game design, etc. Someone is paid to create a mesh model in Max or LW, then YOU can import it into Vue and set up the scene and generally finish the image.

They pose the price (of Infinite) aimed at professionals, and also to recoup their investment in coming up with all of the features in the first place. They won't reasonably recoup that with a $100 upgrade cost for what it took to get there. With a business, it's not only a tax writeoff, but after sometimes even ONE job it pay itself off.

Hobbyists who buy Max or Maya really throw me off for spending THAT much money on just something for fun. With products above $500 to just below the $1k mark, it gets trickier to satisfy hobbyists since it's just barely affordable - but since they're spending SO much money it's expected to have feature to compete with the likes of higher end packages. Hence, disappointment.

This isn't meant to start an argument at all - I hope you don't see it that way. For what it's intended to do in the professional world, it does so at what is considered a reasonable cost. I don't have GOBS of money to spend, but when I buy something like Vue I know I can write it off as an expendature and it will pay itself off.

And V6I looks like it'll pay itself off really fast!
-Lew

ariannah ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 10:28 AM

Quote - You may be surprised by how many former Brycers are hiding here...... ;)

Thanks, Dale.  I appreciate your reply.
I was aware of some brycers who made the transition, just wasn't sure of the reception I might receive. ;)

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

ariannah ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 10:28 AM

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

Veritas777 ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 3:41 PM

Hey- A LOT of Vue users are former Brycers- I used Bryce for years before I got Vue 2 (at the recommendation of an on-line friend from Switzerland who was an Amapi tech support guy). Before I was a Brycer I was a VISTAPROer (heh!) I was using Vistapro's DOS 1.0 version and was publishing Vistapro animations on compact disc in 1992- when it was still "WOW"... I also got the Bryce Canyon DEM file for MetaTools so that they could create the original Bryce manual cover...

But RE: VUE- --give me an UNLOCKED Vue 6 Infinite for $199 (not $100) and I would be a pretty happy camper. I still don't trust this Cornucopia LOCKED models per VERSION non-sense- so I don't plan on buying Cornucopia models anytime soon (I used my $50 voucher and that was IT)

chippwalters ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 7:16 PM · edited Thu, 03 August 2006 at 7:17 PM

Hey Agiel,

Perhaps you could ask someone there at the e-on booth if Vue 6 will be able to import 16-bit grayscales as terrain maps? I didn't see anything on the website about that.

Also, it would be interesting to know if they've re-thought the fog/haze connundrum.

Thanks for posting your findings here on this forum :-)
-Chipp

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 7:28 PM

chipp - I can't do that until next siggraph, in 2007 in san diego. The booth closed at 3:30 pm today, along with the rest of the exhibition. You can always ask your question to the cornucopia 3d forum and see if someone from e-on can answer you ?

Rochr ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 8:31 PM

Most impressive. Especially the spectral atmosphere engine.
Think it´s finally time to upgrade that old Vue5 Esprit i have laying around here.

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 10:41 PM

I am loading the video... but just from what I read HERE...looks like the eco-systems will NOT be backward compatible for all the eco add ons I have? Or... and how about the PLANTS for 5i... sounds again like a whole new plant system? I have way too many vue 5i plants to want to give those up... Does anyone know about these two compatibility things?

thanks.

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 10:51 PM

They should be completely compatible. The new ecosystem adds more control in how or where you want to place your instances. The plant system has been improved to get rid of the flicker effect in animations with wind, and to introduce the idea of local fans or ventilators.

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:02 PM

Thanks! :) GOSH the stuff I read and watched was soooo fantastic...but..uh.. I can't find the upgrade or side grade page?  I got Vue 5 I at least a year ago I am sure... does this mean I have to pay like $7-800 dollars??? (I am in the USA).... I am not a professional...but a hobbiest who just WANTS the best ... :D

Also...IS there any news about WATER? I could never, myself get water to look right...never had the talent of madasatadpole.... soooo wish water would look right, right out of the box. I still find my way in and take the WAVE function out, but nowadays with vue 5i, I get the weirdest patches of color in water and just will not render much art at all with water in it... makes me want to put vue 4 back on...but wouldnot... so very very intereseted in any water news! :) Noticed the movie did not show much water at all too... !?

thanks again!

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:12 PM

Attached Link: http://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6/?page=3

If you have vue 5 Infinite, you can upgrade to vue 6 infinite for $299. The link to the pricing page is at the left of the vue 6 page on e-on's website. I also gave you the link in his reply. Water is still the same, except for the improved caustics effects for underwater scenes or reflections in a pool or through a glass. Look at the video again, there is a good shot of an open ocean with angry waves and another plunging shot over a mountain lake.

Lyne ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:23 PM

OH!!  $300 is do-able! :D   oh yes... did see the incredible ocean! Got too excited and forgot... that painting of ecosystems and the click to check the real time look is astounding! Yes..water in lake I remember..was not impressed by that shot.... wonder when folks will be able to post art done in 6?

Maybe someone will come up with a really great water tutorial ? That would be so helpful, I know vue CAN do it, I just can't! :)   I am sure it also has to do with the stuff on the ground under the water and lighting...anyway... THANKS AGAIN for your help! 

agiel ( ) posted Thu, 03 August 2006 at 11:29 PM

You will be able to see more Vue 6 art when the beta testing is over and we get closer to the release date this Fall.

Jonj1611 ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 1:58 AM

Is there a release date?

Or will it just be at some point in Autumn(I guess thats what you call fall?)

Cheers
Jon

DA Portfolio - http://jonj1611.daportfolio.com/

Gongyla ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 9:08 AM

I just got Vue5 Infinite. Living in Europe, I wonder why we have to pay the same amount of Euro's as Dollars? Having to add VAT is a legal obligation, no problem there. But I remember when the Dollar was higher that the Euro, the priccetag here was adapted to the Dollar's value because blahblah... Why not now?

299 Euro plus VAT adds up to some 360Euro, or $464.

More than 50% more expensive...this is a bit exaggerated, no?

MachineClaw ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 9:32 AM

Rochr ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 9:48 AM

A question Agiel, if this is something you can give an answer to.

Does this "sidegrade and get the corresponding Vue6 product"-offer end at its release?
(i assume it does, but still wanted to ask)

Rudolf Herczog
Digital Artist
www.rochr.com

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 10:16 AM

They may end up extending it a little after the release (it happens sometimes) but I think it is safe to assume the offer will end at the release of vue 6.

ariannah ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 10:45 AM

Quote - Is there a release date?

Todd at e-on told me a couple days ago on the phone that it will be late 3rd quarter, probably near the end of September.  But don't quote me as we all know how these projections can change, lol.

~arry

LCBoliou ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 12:06 PM · edited Fri, 04 August 2006 at 12:09 PM

After some thoughts on upgrading to Vue6 I...I'm holding off.  I just created a "god lights" scene in Carrara5.1 (fully interactive/animatable vol. clouds with a vol. cloud lab), and it looks quite nice!  I also have SSS, translucency, animated plants, super accurate surface distribution, displacement mapping, a decent particle system, and 16bit RAW terrain import (great with GeoControl -- absolutely matches Terragen2 for terrain modeling only).

Vue6 Infinite will have to prove "itself" to me this time around, as it actually adds little to my tool box -- from what I've seen.

thorntoa ( ) posted Fri, 04 August 2006 at 8:30 PM

I've been a pretty big Vue enthusiast since Vue 3. I will upgrade for the Poser enhancements and the 64 bit capability.  I've tried the current version of Vue on 64bit Vista and I seem to have enhanced stability and the capability to render more complex scenes.  Upgrades are always a bit of a pain but E-on seems to do better than most in this regard . . .

Allan Thornton

aeilkema ( ) posted Wed, 09 August 2006 at 2:19 AM

So with the price raise and E-On still using 1=1 conversion rates, I'm going to be even more ripped off as an European user. Let's not even forget all the imaginary taxes that only exsist in the E-On world added onto my purchase.

Sorry E-On, the boycot is still in effect and I do hope many other European users join in it again. Please E-On go Hollywood completely, so we don't have to get annoyed about your pricing schemes anymore.

I also wonder how the shader creators for Poser now feel E-On has just made sure they will never be able to sell their shaders for Vue.......

Artwork and 3DToons items, create the perfect place for you toon and other figures!

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=23722

Due to the childish TOS changes, I'm not allowed to link to my other products outside of Rendo anymore :(

Food for thought.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZw0dfLmLk

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.