Mon, Oct 7, 6:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 28 10:18 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: RSS (Yes, I know I've mentioned it before)

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 11:38 AM · edited Mon, 07 October 2024 at 6:26 AM

Now we're getting blogs and have fancy new forums and galleries, I wanted to bring up RSS again.
Am I really the only person that tinks this would useful?  Am I the only person who actually subscribes to RSS feeds?   Am I the only person whose google homepage has RSS feeds?  Am I the only person who knows how cool they are?

I would REALLY like to subscribe to a rosity news feed, maybe several (one for each forum).   Then we can see easily whats going on.   For example, right now the threads for the home page would be:

**Coming on Monday, July 17th, Renderosity Artist Blogs!
**Gallery Art Charts Unveiled
The Virtual Catwalk
Reallusion 60 Second Siggraph Showcase

And for the community forum they would be
Coming on Monday, July 17th Renderosity Artist Blogs
ART CHARTS OPEN!
Gallery alternative CSS schemes
FAQ and info on the New Galleries

Maybe I'm the only person that thinks RSS feeds are more useful than blogs?  ANd yes I know I can look at the home page, but that's not really the point.   RSS lets people see what's going on in several of their favourite sites from one groovy page and then they decide which stories they want to read.

And while they're putting that in, what about voting threads?  SO I could set up a vote:

Do you want RSS Feeds?
(YES)
(NO)
(WHAT'S AN RSS FEED)

Please (I'm getting on my knees, which makes it reealy haard to typ) at least mention this to the programmers.  Even myspace blogs have it, so how hard can it be?

And to anyone else who's actually read this far, please reply letting me know if you think RSS feeds would be cool.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

calyxa ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:17 PM

I don't have a groovy page set up to view the RSS feeds all the sites I visit that do have them, but if R'osity implemented RSS feeds, I might just make the effort to figure it out.

I read slashdot, and one of the features there is that they have a user-configurable display of RSS feeds of many different sites -- for example, in my preferences, I view the RSS feeds from boingboing and bureau42 (a sci-fi news site).   so that's how I know what RSS is all about and how I know that it is a GREAT idea.

count this as one big enthusiastic YES vote from me!

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:24 PM

(WHAT'S AN RSS FEED)

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 12:29 PM

Quote - (WHAT'S AN RSS FEED)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_%28file_format%29

hope that helps...

thefixer ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 1:54 PM

Hmm! Thank you Khai, most informative!!!

Not sure I'd bother with it though!!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 3:21 PM

That's probably 'cause you haven't tried it yet.   Currently I can see the weather(borking hot), the BBC news headlines, IMDB headlines, entertainment news from a variety of sources, including msn, entertainment weekly, I can check what photos friends have uploaded into flickr, see a few friends blog entries, read the DAZ headlines, poker news, my news reader entries (for feeds I don't bother putting on the main page), see my google calendar for the month and see the latest emails that are waiting for me.  All from one page!   It saves me having to go into a dozen sites just to find out that nothing has been updated.

I'm sure the new php forums have this feature built in.   It would be hardly any effort at all, and (IMHO) far more useful than some of the upgrades we've had.

But yeah, I understand a lot of people could care less.  But I want it!!

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

bobbystahr ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 5:00 PM · edited Mon, 17 July 2006 at 5:02 PM

My only problem with RSS feeds is most of what I found coming in was RBD [really boring dreck] heh heh heh..could care less if we get 'em here, got enough t' do as it is,maybe it's the netscape origins I mistrust...had nothing but grief with that browser.

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

calyxa ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:48 PM

you've got it backwards, bobby - the goal isn't to "get" RSS feeds showing up here, but to have here send RSS feeds out, so that folks who use a custom page / RSS aggregator can subscribe to the RSS feeds coming from Renderosity.

like I said, I don't yet have a custom page / RSS aggregator set up for the sites which use RSS that I'd like to watch, but if Rendo was configured to provide its info in RSS, that would probably push me over the edge to do so - assuming it wasn't just the front page news (which I almost never look at anyway), but also allowed for watching my favorite forum(s), artist(s), and artist blog(s) via RSS.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Check out my Elemental Hexagons deck, created with Photoshop, Bryce, MojoWorld, and Poser

LillianH ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 6:53 PM

Hi drawbridgep,

Thank you for asking about RSS feeds. That helps to answer the question if there is still an interest in setting them up.

I'll be happy to check into this for you and let you know what's up.

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

drawbridgep ( ) posted Mon, 17 July 2006 at 8:47 PM

Quote - ... also allowed for watching my favorite forum(s), artist(s), and artist blog(s) via RSS.

Yes, yes and yes.   It should even be possible to show tumbnails of recently added images in the RSS feed(fave's for example).  OK, not quite so handy, but at least you can decide if you want to check out the image.

@LillianH   even if it's just for me, you should have it set up.  :-)**

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

marzo ( ) posted Wed, 19 July 2006 at 8:40 AM

I'm with you drawbridgep. Just started using 'em and they are well cool! One from Rosity would be great!

How I bled when they said that the rose had no thorns

Mahray ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2006 at 6:07 AM

It would be very nice, especially since you can have them as 'live bookmarks' in firefox.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Janl ( ) posted Thu, 20 July 2006 at 11:52 AM

I all for RSS feeds too. Each forum and maybe even each gallery or merchant could have its own feed.

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 2:24 PM

Well now, I have good news. Yes...we will be setting up RSS feeds for Renderosity.

In addition to the articles section, I do not know what other areas may be set up for RSS. I won't have any further details or information until mid-August.

After Siggraph, we'll be able to get busy setting it up.

All the best,

Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

drawbridgep ( ) posted Wed, 26 July 2006 at 5:57 PM · edited Wed, 26 July 2006 at 5:58 PM

WOOHOO! :biggrin:

So, mid august....  I'll not bother you with this again until midnight on August 15th. 

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

marzo ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 3:04 AM

Excellent! 

How I bled when they said that the rose had no thorns

Janl ( ) posted Thu, 27 July 2006 at 6:50 AM

Brilliant!  👍

drawbridgep ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 7:29 AM

Quote -
In addition to the articles section, I do not know what other areas may be set up for RSS. I won't have any further details or information until mid-August.
Lillian

Hey it's mid-August.  Any news?  ;-)

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

LillianH ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 2:51 PM

Hi drawbridgep,

Thank you for the follow-up. Yes, we have news!

I have installed the RSS module and am testing it now.

The feeds that are available are for the news articles. I do not have the option to link it to the galleries or particular artists, at least not right now.

I hope to have the testing finished and the RSS info ready to share with you by the end of the week.

All the best,

Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

LillianH ( ) posted Fri, 18 August 2006 at 10:58 PM

Hi drawbridgep,

Thank you for kindly helping test out our new RSS feeds. It has been a learning experience for me this week, getting these set up.

Here is a link to the article with the RSS feed information and links:

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13229

I would like for the community to try them out before unleashing them on the general public. So, if anyone has an interest in these, give them a try and let us hear your feedback and suggestions.

All the best,

Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Mahray ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 3:53 AM

Ok, for some reason they don't work as live bookmarks (RSS feeds in your bookmarks toolbar) in Firefox (1.5.0.6).  Other sites work, such as Gmail, or http://www.abc.net.au/news/

Can anyone help?

drawbridgep ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 8:26 AM

Attached Link: RSS TEST

Like this?   It's a few extra links that Lillian will need to add to the code.

---------
Phillip Drawbridge
Website 
Facebook

calyxa ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 2:49 PM

I've successfully added one of the feeds to my "My Yahoo!" page.  so far, so good.

I hope this is just the tip of the iceberg -- what I really really really am interested in is forum and gallery feeds ;)

thanks!

Mahray ( ) posted Sat, 19 August 2006 at 11:58 PM

Phil - exactly like that :)  That pages works perfectly, and gives me the rss feeds right in my browser

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.