Sat, Sep 21, 12:35 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 5 is Free

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 1:41 PM

"In light of these events, I wonder if Bryce6 will be available as an upgrade, or full purchase only."

tjohn, from SKondris heading up the DAZ Bryce 6 thread:

"Oh, and about pricing..... I cannot say anything at this time other than we will be doing a very nice job of taking care of everyone who purchased version 5.5, plus an upgrade option from older versions as well."

I feel pretty certain there will be an upgrade route to version 6 from this free Bryce5, even if it's just a token amount. Seems not much point in the promotional marketing otherwise; though I suppose just having loads more people trying Bryce can't hurt. I also feel this free Bryce5 will appear on magazine cover CDs with an upgrade to 6 offer. It's a typical approach.

I'm not convinced this will be much help to Bryce6 succeeding, but I think it's great that more people get to use Bryce. I still think Corel Bryce5.01 is the best release.

donniemc0 ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 3:07 PM

i'm with mugsey, where do i go for a refund? do you know how long it took me to save for bryce 5? grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

PJF ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 3:33 PM

If you purchased Bryce from DAZ within the last 30 days, you can get your money back (and pick up the freebie).

Otherwise it's just a bad timing slap in the face. Short of completely withdrawing a program from sale for six months, or something, there's not a lot a company can do to avoid some full-price buyers feeling aggrieved at others getting a big discount.

skiwillgee ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 5:11 PM

I work part time in a retail store:  Policy there is if it goes on sale, price drops, find it cheaper somewhere else within 30 days of purchare date, you can get refund for difference.  It looks like that's what Daz is doing.  There will always be someone who feels left out after 31 days.  It's tough to be that guy but they have to draw a line somewhere.

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 6:18 PM

I guess the moral of the story is to be careful if buying a product at full price when lots of talk is about regarding the next release being imminent...  A bit like 'end of model runout' new car deals...

electronicpakrat ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 6:46 PM

It would also seem after reading the DAZ PC newsletter (just arrived today) that upgrades will only be possible from v5 onward. So, if there's anyone still on v4 or earlier you'll probably not qualify for upgrade pricing which means you'll be paying full price (if you want B6, that is).

However, if DAZ offers B6 for $1.99 (like they did with Hex 2) then it's a moot point anyway. :lol:

pakled ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 7:50 PM

installing it now (the hard way..but that's me)..there's nearly 2,000 mats in 'installed', I wonder if there's any new ones..;)

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 8:01 PM

I assume that if I purchase the 5.5 upgrade then it is not worth my while downloading the full ver 5 give away as the contents will all be in the 5.5 hi-bandwidth downloads anyway?  Can anyone confirm this?  Thanks, Steve

adh3d ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 8:22 PM

Well, if you only can get a update price of Bryce 6 from Bryce 5, I think there is not update price, because everybosy can get the ver 5 by free now.

adh3d website

Mugsey ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 8:29 PM

It doesn't matter if it's the original Corel version or if it's a trimmed down DAZ number - bottom line - are all of my add-ons for B5.1 thru B5.5 gonna work in B6, or am I screwed?

I have THOUSANDS of .mat, .bsk, and .obp files - does this mean that I'm gonna watch stuff that I can use with good old B5.1 dwindle and fade away to nothing gradually practically overnight - to the point where only stuff that works with B6 will be left?

True - that's probably inevitable anyway, but is it gonna happen TOO FAST?

I would hate to see a new Bryce that chokes on the good old .mat

serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 8:43 PM

My guess on all this is that DAZ is having a marketting push to expand the user base for Bryce by giving away ver 5 for free - it may end up on magazine cover DVDs as well. The inexpensive upgrade offer for 5.5 is a seperate push to extend the membership of ArtZone.

I would expect differing upgrade price offers for registered owners of Bryce5 and Bryce5.5 to move to the new Bryce6. I would expect no upgrade offers for owners of earlier versions. Too bad for those registered owners of earlier versions of Bryce who are not in a position to learn about this short-time-frame give away of Bryce5...

Timing wise, I would hope that Bryce 6 is released some time before Christmas.  It would be really nice if Universal Binary versions of Bryce 6 and DAZStudio were available for Intel Macs soon thereafter as well.  :-)

pauljs75 ( ) posted Tue, 22 August 2006 at 9:55 PM

Cool beans. 👍

It doesn't bother Bryce 4, so you can switch back and forth between the two if Bryce 5 is a bit slow for some quickie things.

You know what this means? There's probably going to be a lot of Bryce newbs rolling in. A.S. better be prepared. :scared:

:lol:

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Mahray ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 4:29 AM

MaleneySteve - according to the latest DAz newsletter, upgrade price is only for 5/5.5 users.

Come visit us at RenderGods.

Ignore the shooty dog thing.

Boofy ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 7:10 AM

I just found that if you type in 'bryce 5 presets' in the search field in cnet it has the presets there to download now if anyone needs them.

Jenny.

dan whiteside ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 7:31 AM

"are all of my add-ons for B5.1 thru B5.5 gonna work in B6?" Yes

pauljs75 ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 10:08 AM

Backwards compatability has always been a Bryce feature as far as I could tell. With all the content out there, it'd be pretty dumb not to be. So there's no need to flip-out Mugsey, DAZ isn't that stupid.

Barbequed Pixels?

Your friendly neighborhood Wings3D nut.
Also feel free to browse my freebies at ShareCG.
There might be something worth downloading.

Claywoman ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 11:35 AM

Hi I downloaded the Bryce proggie, but when I clicked the exe it said it was missing a dll file

Im re downloading now..my question is how will I get it to run..it is in pieces

Thanks,

Clay

ggrace ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 11:51 AM

Can anyone tell me if the free version or the non-free 5.5 can be installed without online activation?  I have my graphics programs on a XP PC that is not connected to the internet?  I don't want to connect it for security reasons.  I mostly use Carrara 5 Pro but Bryce would be nice to have also.  Thanks,
Glenn

electronicpakrat ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 4:50 PM · edited Wed, 23 August 2006 at 4:51 PM

Yes, both can.

Bryce 5.5 requires no activation or even a serial at present. This may probably be the easiest solution even if it's not the cheapest.

If you want the version of Corel Bryce 5.01 that doesn't require "online-activation" (which includes the presets / content with it) you should be able to download a ~ 90 MB file from your "Available Downloads" as long as you at least install the CNET version "once" and let it register itself with your DAZ Account. After that, you can uninstall the CNET Bryce and install the DAZ version on any machine you need only using the "serial".

Mugsey ( ) posted Wed, 23 August 2006 at 7:54 PM

I don't call it "BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY", - I call it  "REASONABLE" .

"Upgrade' itis" is a rancid communicable disease that I would like to avoid if possible.

Gradual positive change is sometimes a sign of adaptive progress - but rapid change is ALWAYS a symptom of decay!

Mediocrity is at best a peaceful state - at worst stagnation...

ysvry ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 1:19 AM
serendigity59@gmail.com ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 3:32 AM

I have just downloaded the Bryce 5.5 $20 offer from DAZ having previously downloaded the free Ver 5 from the DAZ website - both are the Apple Mac versions. I have carefully been through the contents of all the presets, skies etc and have found that there are some new items in 5.5, some overlap between the two, but a lot of stuff from ver 5 that is not in the ver 5.5 download.  This is most likely due to a compromise between new features, and manageble download sizes and bandwidth usage for DAZ.

I would advise people to go through the exercise of comparing the contents of both packages rather than just trashing ver 5...  i.e. you will end up with more terrain maps, light gels, sky presets, and some materials, and the preset scene examples...  I am sure that the old ver 4 two CD set will also have a heap of content which is unique and still useful for ver 5.5.  

Interestingly, I have found that using the o/s for moving stuff into the Bryce Objects folder even when the application is running will still make those new object sub-folders and files available when the Create>Objects popup is opened. This applies to Mac, not sure about the Windows version.

ggrace ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 10:43 AM

Thanks **electronicpakrat.
 I did download it and activate it on an older xp machine.  Then I burned the it to a CD and installed that on my regular PC.  It works, but it has some rather strange behavior.  First it seems to freeze windows in that the start menu and the task bar cannot be accessed when it's running.  I can use the task manager to get at these things but I've never had to resort to that much.   Also I've not found a way to exit either short of forcing a shutdown.  I think maybe too much time has gone by since I used Bryce 3D and switched to Vue.  I still want to use it to maybe export some  Bryce objects to Carrara which is my main graphics program.

Glenn

Robo2010 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 4:57 PM

Umm...unable to export files. I was hoping to make a scene to use in Poser, and I was nearly about to buy this many months ago. 

pakled ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 7:51 PM

there's only so many things you can export. What I do is render the scene in Bryce, then File, Save Image as (I use jpg's, but you can do bmp's which are a tad larger..;)

then open Poser, Import, Background Image, select the image, match the light angles and colors with the picture (makes it 'fit' better), and there you go.

welcome to the party..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ggrace ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 12:36 PM

Yes, there is no way to get any reasonable content out of ver 5.0.  So it will sit on my PC as an interesting program with little or no use.  I have Carrara 5 Pro which I got to replace Vue 5 for just this reason.  It will import a great many formats and export them as well.  This includes all the poser formats.  It's really too bad about Bryce as there is a lot of great content for it.  I'll give Bryce another try if Daz decides to allow exports of .obj's or .dfx files.

Glenn

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 4:52 PM

Quote - If they ARE coming out with B6 - does this mean that since it's free now (and the sunza beechios should re-imburse me the 50 bucks I plopped down for it just two months ago abouts) - then my extensive .mat and .bsk and .obp files now will NOT work on B6 when it comes out?

Oh no.  Don't say that Mugsey!  I have a mountain of stuff, that I just have to have working in B6 (If I can afford it when it comes out)

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sat, 26 August 2006 at 4:54 PM · edited Sat, 26 August 2006 at 4:55 PM

Quote - Yes, there is no way to get any reasonable content out of ver 5.0.  So it will sit on my PC as an interesting program with little or no use.  I have Carrara 5 Pro which I got to replace Vue 5 for just this reason.  It will import a great many formats and export them as well.  This includes all the poser formats.  It's really too bad about Bryce as there is a lot of great content for it.  I'll give Bryce another try if Daz decides to allow exports of .obj's or .dfx files.

Glenn

I have heard that you WILL be able to export things from Bryce6.  Booleans as well!!!

(can't recall what formats they said but I think .obj's were one of them, maybe the only one, but even that's better than nothing - eh?)

AND you can turn the booleans into simple meshes - i.e. just the bit you need - before exporting it!!

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.