Sun, Oct 6, 7:33 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Terrain into a stone wall

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 12:26 AM · edited Sun, 06 October 2024 at 5:49 AM

file_352017.jpg

I been working with bryce for a little more than two years and now I discovered the versitility of terrains. I just never went there....  for all of you that already knew how to do this hope you have a good laugh.  But for those that did not know,,,,,

In short,  here is what I did..  I made a bump drawing in Painter saved it as a JPG.  Use what ever software you like to make your bump...

Opened Bryce 5.5 in my case,,,   Clicked on a terrain, with the terran highlighted  I cliked on the "E" tab (editor)  opened the Terrain Editor and in the 'Editing Tool' > got to pictures > click on load>  got my JPG bump....  and clicked open...  you should see it now in the Terrain Canvas and the 3D preview..  click the check mark to accept and exit the editor and it should appear in the Bryce screen... but the terrai is stll horizontal...

It might be a little stretched out in thicknes (very spikee) and not look like your wall bump but this is quickly fixed by making the object's box thinner in the bryce main screen using its control handles....

Turn the terrain vertical adjust it as neede and you got a 3D wall.  just copy and paste an entire wall.  You can make the bump into any type of wall you like.....
see image of both bump and terrain output...  let me know if I made sense,,,,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tom271 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 12:51 AM

file_352020.jpg

Here is a few terrains together on top of a water surface.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

donniemc0 ( ) posted Thu, 24 August 2006 at 6:37 AM

i knew how to do it already but i am not laughing. you have demonstrated this technique superbly!! in fact it has encouraged me to head into the terrain editors dark domain once more.. thank you!

AgentSmith ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 6:22 AM

file_352128.jpg

Plugin filters (in a 2D editing program) can also create some interesting Terrain walls....;o)

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

dvlenk6 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 6:48 AM

file_352129.jpg

I used that to make frieze carvings for a greek temple. Somehow, it never dawned on me to make walls per se with the same technique.

Friends don't let friends use booleans.

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 2:18 PM

That's a great way to make friezes and reliefs......... thanks for showing... 

i like the 2d walls as well..  I have a model of a building I used to live in and it has some walls that need to be redone with this technic...

danamo ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 5:30 PM

file_352174.jpg

You can also take the 3D output of KnotPlot, import it into Bryce and do an altitude render. Then you can use the altitude render to make a "Celtic" terrain which can add architectural details to a building, monument, or furniture. This is a quick render of four such terrains that I'm going to use to make a paneled door.

tom271 ( ) posted Fri, 25 August 2006 at 11:51 PM

They make a great delicate wooden chineese doors... as well...

FranOnTheEdge ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 5:52 AM · edited Sun, 27 August 2006 at 6:03 AM

Attached Link: Danamo's Greebles and Nurnies

file_352351.jpg

Oh yeah.  I used that when I was experimenting with Galvanized metal trials ^^^  and if you find that the bumps might look better indented instead - click on Invert in the terrain editor and hey presto, you get your bumps indented and your intents raised - really easy. 

You can also use it to create greeble panels - paint the panels in a painting program and use that in the terrain editor - I think it was pidgy or maybe rochr who did some really excellent greyscale painting of greebles, - pipes,  junction boxes, and such like stuff that you could turn into terrain greeble.

I've tried searching for it, but some of the threads on greeble are no longer available, (don't know why they've been deleted) so either that panel was in a deleted thread or I just didn't search for long enough.

Danamo also did a very nice greeble terrain - see the link.  Oops, no - it's made in wings - still nice though.

Measure your mind's height
by the shade it casts.

Robert Browning (Paracelsus)

Fran's Freestuff

http://franontheedge.blogspot.com/

http://www.FranOnTheEdge.com

tom271 ( ) posted Sun, 27 August 2006 at 11:08 AM

Yes I knew about the invert function.......  Has anyone tried egyptian wall reliefs yet?  This technic must be great for inside piramid caverns sceneries..... mummies and dieties...

Quest ( ) posted Tue, 29 August 2006 at 11:27 PM

And to further this study I offer:

Previous Post

tom271 ( ) posted Wed, 30 August 2006 at 1:18 AM

Thanks again....   that study did the trick....  At least till the lights go out again then I be asking for a match....

Thanks

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.