Thu, Oct 10, 12:19 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 09 12:13 pm)

Subject: Trying to make a render look painted

Fracture ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 6:29 AM · edited Thu, 10 October 2024 at 12:17 AM

My girlfriend likes Faeries so I wanted to make her a painting using poser. Thign is I don't want it to look like a render. I want it to look like it was painted. I know this is possible but not quite sure how to do this. I have Poser 6 and Photoshop. Any advice? I have some friends that work at a store that makes and frames pictures from computer images so that part will be easier.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 6:37 AM

file_353882.jpg

The only way I know how to do that is inside a graphic program. I use Paint Shop Pro. 

You can look for plugins that will give the painted look.  Virtual Painter is one such plugin.

I don't know Photoshop, but in Paint Shop Pro there is an area called "Artist Effects",. The image shows what effects I can apply. The sample inside is done with "Brush Strokes".

Also, you should have a plugin called "Texturizer", you can apply a texture like canvas or stucco or something to the image to give it a different look.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

steerpike ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 6:48 AM

Attached Link: Olivier at Runtime DNA

I don't have them yet, but Olivier Vinet's Art Materials at Runtime DNA might fit the bill,  the Dry Shaders in particular - maybe drawn rather than painted, but definitely an artistic feel.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 6:59 AM · edited Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:03 AM

file_353884.jpg

Here is an example of Virtual Painter using "Oil Painting".  I played around with the various settings and ended with this.  It can be more extreme, or even water colour, velvet or a few other choices of art technique.

EDIT:  You can see a larger version of the original in my gallery. It is the most recent upload.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

mrsparky ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 7:10 AM

Instant Photo Effects and Instant Photo Artist

http://www.swsoftware.com/

Pinky - you left the lens cap of your mind on again.

pdblake ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 8:27 AM

I use the brush strokes effect in PSP, as mentioned above. There are a couple of examples in my gallery here at Rosity.

raven ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 12:50 PM

file_353909.jpg

You could try the Sketch Designer inside of Poser itself. Do a render, and theneither paste the render to the background, or import it as a background, and choose a Sketch Render preset. There are some presets for sale at DAZ that may get the look if the standard ones don't do it.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=2422

Well, that's if you want to do it in Poser. It would probably be easier to do it in a paint program though.

Here is a pic of me imported as a background in Poser 6, and sketch rendered. Who would have thought you could use Poser as an image manipulator? :)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 11 September 2006 at 1:41 PM

ask campbellsoup59, in the gallery here. he has a painting technique that may be of use to ya, frac.

Nolita ( ) posted Tue, 12 September 2006 at 7:28 AM

IMHO filters look like filters.  I used to get good results by taking low res photos, importing them into paintshop pro on a larger canvas and going at them with the smudge tool and airbrush.  Can't remember just what every tool in paintshop pro's called, but there's definitely one for smudging and one airbrush, and those are what I used.

If possible select around the figure and invert so background is selected, "paint" that, then invert again and "paint" the figure.  Then go back and touch up w/o selection(so u don't get the weird selection halo thing).  Use airbrush to gently add highlights and blushing and you're done.  That's the lickity split way to make it look painted, without making it just look filtered.

Follow the contours of the figure and props(angles if there's a cabinet or something else hard edged, and so forth).  Random strokes will look like u just used random strokes or a filter, but it looks much nicer if you use short strokes following the contours.  You can use airbrush some more(forgot to say set opacity low so it's nice and sheer), to intinsify shadows with a nice cool color like purple or blue, you'll find and choose which one works best for u.

Of course u can go ahead and use a filter, just saying there's more than just filters.  Also, if u get bored u can download the free version of artrage at http://artrage.com and mess around with it's "cloning tools"(u would just use tracing paper, and fiddle around with settings till u get what u like, and then let the colors pick automatically according to image).  I explained that poorly cuz I don't have ArtRage open, but if you download it you'll almost instantly get what I mean.  You still have to goof around and figure out what will work best for u though. :)

GL

Philywebrider ( ) posted Thu, 14 September 2006 at 6:01 AM · edited Thu, 14 September 2006 at 6:02 AM

file_354146.jpg

you can try using the history brush and art history brush in photoshop. you can control the size and shape of the 'strokes' and the sharpness/clarity any of area(s) in the image, so you could show more detail in the face, etc. You can vary 'strokes, clarity etc, and redo areas,  thoughout the image.

Attached is one of of the images I've been trying to work with work with.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.