Sat, Sep 21, 10:39 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: How do you ?

Velen ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 1:17 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:37 PM

Howdie All Proly a silly question but here goes any way. How do you make the veg files ? as ver 2 is so porly saported sence 3 has been released and this is understandable. I will need to make my own till Ver4 is released. I can only aford to buy once and cant see buying ver 3 to have it obsoleated by Ver4 in just a few months. Sooooo What do I need to get to be able to learn how to make them (Veg) ? help please laters

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 3:44 PM

Hi Michelle, You can't actually make new plants. The SolidGrowth ability is E-on's alone. However, you can make new materials to use on existing SG plants, effectively making them appear to be totally new plant types. Guitta has a good tutorial for how to do this. Her site is at: http://start.at/arte Of course, you can also import 3D models to use. I have a bunch on my own site, DreamModels 3D, but be sure to select the DXF format. (I have VOB format available, but many of them were made in Vue 3.1 and won't work with v.2.) There are also lots and lots of plant and tree models all over the web. Begin at www.3dcafe.com and you'll find a bunch to start with. :)

Daffy34 ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 3:46 PM

Hi Vel :). Unfortunately you can't "make" plants like the one's that Vue has. That is their own patented Solid Growth technology, and understandably, they are not telling how it's done. But you can make plants in other programs and import them into Vue just fine. There is a wonderful little program ($45) called PlantStudio that most of us here use (at least I know that Gebe and Varian and I do). It's makes plants that you can design yourself and export as .3ds, .dxf, or .obj. If you have more money to spend and you don't mind a steep learning curve, there is XFrog by Greenworks which probably makes the most realistic looking trees and plants I've ever seen. Xfrog - http://www.greenworks.de PlantStudio - http://www.kurtz-fernhout.com/ Laurie

Daffy34 ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 3:50 PM

Oops...forgot to mention, I also have replacement materials for plants (only 2 at the moment: Pink Dogwood and Lavender). NOTHING compared to what Varian has :). I also have a really nice baby's breath and florist's eucalyptus models over at www.big-i.com in the "Temporary Home of Our Treasure Chest's" section. You may want to check my website too for other odd's and ends. http://lauriesvue.com Laurie

BrianR ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 5:43 PM

V4?????!!!......Bugger, V3 upgrade arrived this morning & I'm a newbie all over again :))

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 9:04 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, Laurie! LOL Brian! Check to make sure you're running v3.1. From what I've heard, some of the newer CDs include the patch, but there are still plenty that don't. So if you're running 3.0, head over to E-on and get the patch for 3.1. Not a large amount of difference between 2 and 3, so you're upgrade learning shouldn't be too difficult. Check out the non-shadowing lights! :)

Velen ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 9:14 PM

I had a hunch :/ that would be the case oh well. As to Meshes I make tree Mesh so if you guys need trees let me know I was given LightWave 6 for XMass and have the Tree Druid plugin to make trees :) the pines in my posted pic are from it. I dled the plant studio demo so the out put looks beter than the previews they give ? Ill have to reinstall it and try it again. Thanks for the info all.

Varian ( ) posted Mon, 23 April 2001 at 9:43 PM

For PlantStudio, check out the Gallery there Kurtz-Fernhout.com Most of the samples they display up front are 2D, but there are 3D images in their Gallery. The newest version (2) has some incredible new features. Sounds like you're all set for the tree end of things. ;)

BrianR ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 7:04 AM

Thanks Varian, it is 3.1 but i'm still totally new to Vue as I bought the upgrade on the strength of 3D world's free V2 copy so it's manual reading & tutorial time for me LOL!

Varian ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 12:49 PM

And play! Don't forget lots and lots of playtime! :)

Daffy34 ( ) posted Tue, 24 April 2001 at 1:38 PM

I've had it since it was released and I'm STILL playing! ;). Laurie

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.