Wed, Oct 9, 12:21 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Technical

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 06 11:55 pm)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: non imbedded obj for mapping purposes... how?

Darkworld ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 9:34 PM · edited Wed, 09 October 2024 at 12:20 PM

the way i always create figures and props is the easy full service cr2/pp2 method. how exactly do you make the model reference an external obj? id much rather do that because then i dont have to worry about having only one shot to map the thing... thanks!

wyrwulf ( ) posted Wed, 25 April 2001 at 10:23 PM

Check the tutorials at bushi3d.com Bushi is one of the Grand Masters of Poser. Put simply, you write a PHI file for your sliced OBJ, then "convert Heir" with Poser, then set the joint parameters. I've been working on the MetaCreations Dance Studio characters. I sliced them up with the Poser grouping tool, exported the OBJ, converted a similar Cr2 with Bushi's PhiFactory, converted the Heir, then I've been learning how to set the JPs. Chapter 15 in the Poser4 manual has a pretty good runthrough on creating new figures. The whole thing is not too hard, once you get the hang of it.

Darkworld ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 3:07 AM

cool i will check that site out. and i know characters, i have created tons of poseable figures with no problem (my dark crystal characters, among others, are up for download) the thing is, i always create the CR2 in poser by simply adding the figure to the library, after that i dont have a need for the OBJ, problem with that strategy of course is, once you have the figure all set up and posed, if you put the texture on it and notice ANY mistake... guess what, you have to completely break up the model and pose it, set joints, etc all over again... yuck

bloodsong ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 10:40 AM

heyas; dark, i thought i answered this question on your previous thread. :) you can export the obj from poser (after making sure you zero out everything), and then replace all the geomcustom's in the cr2 with pointers.

Darkworld ( ) posted Thu, 26 April 2001 at 10:27 PM

oh cool =) what should i look at for an example of pointers? id probably screw em up

Darkworld ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 6:50 AM

I made another cr2, one i could mess with. so i zero'd the figure, made the obj file, then text edited the cr2, removing all the geomcustoms (took a while) and put in a pointer to my geometry file in 2 different places... i looked at zygote's lion cr2 and this is how i found the 2 places to point to the geometry file... so when i was done i import the cr2 into my scene and i dont get an error... but the model is invisible =( any ideas?

Darkworld ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 7:12 AM

well, i remade those branches, for offset and handler, like you mentioned earlier, and now part of the figure is visible! .... problem is the rest is still invisible; no error on finding the obj file or anything when i double click the library icon for it. i also deleted the rsr file that goes with it, which you mentioned earlier... but that did not sem to help anything, now i just have the shrugging guy on the library panel and still 90% invisible figure, no idea what im doing wrong

wyrwulf ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 8:12 AM

I haven't explored the Cr2 far enough to be able to help you on this.

JKeller ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 4:50 PM

Sounds like the actors in the .CR2 can't find their corresponding groups in the .OBJ.

Open your .OBJ file in a text editor or Compose while your have your .CR2 open in a text editor or CR2Editor. Make sure that the actor names in the .CR2 match the group names in the .OBJ. If there is a difference, it's probably best to re-name them in the .OBJ rather than in the .CR2.

Hope this helps.

Darkworld ( ) posted Fri, 27 April 2001 at 9:30 PM

cool i will try that thanks!

pragask ( ) posted Mon, 07 May 2001 at 7:44 AM

I think the group that is being referenced externally has to ba removed(deleted) in the original obj file first to avoid conflicts.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.