Sat, Oct 5, 7:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: using knotplot and bryce.

shadowrelm ( ) posted Tue, 21 November 2006 at 11:18 PM · edited Sat, 05 October 2024 at 7:26 AM

I have seen a lot of work where knotplot was used to make some very interesting formations that where then imported into bryce.  I have been playing around with KP for a few days and have yet to figure out the command to use to save the knot in a format that Bryce can then import in.  Has anyone used KnotPlot and can you tell me what the command string is for saving files? Thanks for your help.

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 4:46 AM

file_360285.jpg

Depending how the aplication windows are laid out,.......I usually go to the Knotplot Control panel, Export tab, and export as pfdxf(polygonal face dxf) or you can export as objout(wavefront object) but I've had some strange results using this method. Hope this has been helpful.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

shadowrelm ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 11:49 AM

Great! This works well for one mesh but how do you tell it to give you a seperate mesh for each "rope"? 

sackrat ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 1:44 PM

Uhhh,..............dunno,.........sorry, don't use it that much.

"Any club that would have me as a member is probably not worth joining" -Groucho Marx

rickymaveety ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 3:45 PM

You delete all but one thread of the rope and import that as a separate mesh and then either do that for each thread, or (my favorite way), take the one thread into Bryce and do a multireplicate to recreate the original knot.

That way, you can have a different texture on each thread.

Could be worse, could be raining.

amota99517 ( ) posted Wed, 22 November 2006 at 7:43 PM

It has been my experience when exporting an object from KP, I type the following in the command window:  objout xxx with the x being the name of the file I wish to give the object.  If the object that is created has multiple parts, the program exports an obj file for each part and automatically numbers it.  However, the numbering starts with 0.  So if I have a 3 part object, I would get something like this:  test001a0, test001a1, test001a2.  I find typing objout in the command window works the best for me. Hope that helps.   

danamo ( ) posted Thu, 23 November 2006 at 11:34 PM

I have imported the .obj output from Knotplot into Wings for further tweaking. Sometimes I just assign different material groups for further texture adventures in Bryce, or i like to select the whole object, do an INSET command, Then an inward EXTRUDE AREA, Then I assign the remaining selected faces with "Hole" material. Those faces won't be exported when you save it as an obj to import into Bryce. When you render it with a material of your choosing you'll see that its been "skeletonized". Sometime this looks even better if you subdivide(Smooth) once before export. Cheers, Dan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.