Tue, Oct 1, 9:38 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 01 3:49 pm)

Subject: Trouble with point lights.

Touchwood ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 6:12 PM · edited Tue, 01 October 2024 at 9:32 PM

file_360608.jpg

I have two problems that I'm trying to solve regarding point lights. What I am doing is using a point light as a 'light bulb' by placing it inside the shade attached to the hut. The problems I have are these. 1) The light seems to throw to one side instead of uniformly across the wall (see pic) and no matter what I do the result is the same. Removing the shade gives the same result. 2) I am unable to get the inside of the shade to illuminate. Even using another spot to point to the interior failes to illuminate it. Just shines through and illuminates the edge of the roof. Can anyone give me some pointers? Is it possible at all. I don't want to do this via postwork as hopefully, it will be part of an animation. TIA

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 7:05 PM

Quote - 2) I am unable to get the inside of the shade to illuminate.

Try checking the "Normals_Forward" box for the shade's material.

Touchwood ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:03 PM

Thanks nruddock, that solved number two.

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:23 PM

Is there a bulb in the model ?

If so that may be the source of your trouble, try positioning the point light just below it (zoom in and / or use front /side cameras).
You could also try making the bulb transparent and moving the light inside for even more realistic placement.
Changing the element display style for the point light to cartoon will make it more visible when trying to position it.

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 8:42 PM

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/Python/SnapTo.zip

Quote - try positioning the point light just below it (zoom in and / or use front /side cameras).

An easier way to do that is to use Ockham's  "Snap to it" script.  It's great.  The link below has a link to the program as well as instructions of use, not that any are needed because it's super easy.  Pick your light and then the destination and accept.

Snap To It

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Touchwood ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 9:25 PM

file_360621.jpg

No, there's no actual bulb in the shade. I just needed the inside illuminated which as you can see works OK now. The main problem, if you can see from the attached, is that the light takes a left to right slant across the front of the hut while on the ground you can see the steps fully illuminated and the shadow of the hut across the grass but the hut doesn't reflect this. Hope I've made what I'm after clear. Acadia, I've downloaded the script for future reference.

Connatic ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 9:36 PM

The light seems to cast evenly upon the ground.  Maybe the problem is the building.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Sun, 26 November 2006 at 11:32 PM · edited Sun, 26 November 2006 at 11:37 PM

You have to texture the light bulb ambient and adjust the value to your liking. Trust me, that is the trick. Also good to have the inside of the shade reflect the light. Adjust that as well, to balance light.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.