Sun, Sep 22, 2:25 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 5:40 am)

Subject: Converting a 2D Image into 3D.. Can this be done in V5I??

Fear.au ( ) posted Thu, 30 November 2006 at 11:57 PM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 2:24 PM

Yeah I'm trying to make a 2d image into a 3D format...

But I'am having trouble doing so in VUE, wasn't sure if it could be done and I was pretty sure I needed MAX to achive this.

I tried using the plane and alpha plane with the 2d picture in hoping that I could expand the depth of the image.. But no go...

Can anyone help me please?

Gareee ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 12:08 AM

post the image, so we can see if it's possible..

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

Fear.au ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 12:23 AM · edited Fri, 01 December 2006 at 12:28 AM

ok here's the image in PNG format

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/588/colourlogojy1.png

wabe ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 1:22 AM

Not in V5I - definitely not.

The normal way is this. Try to vectorise the logo in something like Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, Freehand, Xara or a similar program. And save this as eps file there then - the vectors you have.

This you can then extrude in a 3D Modeller. There are free ones out (Blender, 3DWings etc) and this result you then can import into Vue.

In Vue 6 Infinite you now have the option to import simple eps vector files into the text tool and then get a 3D version from that. This you could use as well maybe to do what you try to achieve.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

Warangel ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 9:04 AM

I actually find Illustrator easy to do this with. Export as a DXF. Import to VUE. It usually comes out about perfect. Add some materials and away you go.

forester ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 6:50 PM

Definitely do not purchase or borrow MAX for such a simple purpose. As Wabe and Warangel point out, there are 3D modelling programs that are far cheaper for this purpose - as this is a fairly simple model to make.

Fear.au ( ) posted Fri, 01 December 2006 at 10:28 PM

Nar I wouldn't purchase MAX just for doing that, I prefur VUE anyway.. I ain't the best at making models ect.. So VUE's right up my ally, I love to just make artwork / render's for people and myself.. VUE is basic, but not at the same time.. If that make's sence. I'am dying to get V6I, would improve rendering heaps from what I've been reading about it..

Also, thank you all for the help... :)

Polax ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 5:46 AM

file_361176.jpg

Did you think of using Vue terrains ? Because with such objects they can be very useful I made this quickie based on your image all you have to do is  keep the black zone then desaturate and invert the center of logo to make an elevation map in BW (all light colors are high altitude, dark colors are low altitudes) Then input this pic in a terrain of the same ratio (here I used 941X849 from the size of your pic)

Afterwards you apply the color image as a texture.

If you create a cleaner image in 2D you can have a perfect 3D without using an external 3D app :)

Fear.au ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2006 at 10:31 PM

um...  I must say that a still a noobie to V5I, I can do basic's and stuff from what I learned myself..

But I really dont have a clue how you did that at all.. lol

Could I have some detailed info?

Thanks!

Fear

Polax ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 4:34 AM

file_361253.jpg

No prob :)

Here is a 512x512 B/W image to illustrate the topic.

Polax ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 4:37 AM

file_361254.jpg

Now, create a terrain in Vue make it 512x512 you could uncheck 'make fractal' when creating it but it has no importance if you follow the steps.

Polax ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 4:38 AM

file_361255.jpg

And now, load your picture inside the terrain.

Polax ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 4:39 AM

file_361256.jpg

Make a render... et Voilà! :) hope it can help you.

Fear.au ( ) posted Sun, 03 December 2006 at 5:35 AM

Dude you are a legend!  Can't believe how simple it is..

Big CHEERS to you matey... :D :D

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.