Fri, Oct 4, 12:26 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 04 8:39 am)

Subject: A basic mini-tutorial for tiling bitmaps (using the tilenode). P5/6 (and probabl

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:46 PM · edited Tue, 23 July 2024 at 6:14 AM

file_362237.jpg

Just noticed my title was too long so "and probably P7)."

I may have posted this here before (possibly recently) - if so I apologise for the repeat. But I was tidying up my HD, found this, and couldn't find a corresponding thread in the Poser forum.
Rather than delete the folder containg this tut, I decided to post (possibly re-post) it..
And anyway, I had to do something whilst waiting for the forum to calm down re: P7 & V4 (neither of which I can afford..) - I can't even afford 1 month's DAZ PC  membership.

Anyhow...

Some time ago in a thread not far from here, someone wanted to know how to tile a bitmap. At the time, I made some suggestions, but nothing was ever much resolved.

The problem is, that when you apply a texture to a tile, it expands to include the whole surface, so each tile gets a part of the image. (See attached image).

Now, that could be useful, but what if you want the same image on each tile?
In that case you have to do a little manipulation.

Before I continue - this tut assumes that the tiles are square and that the texture to be applied to each tile is also square. If that's not the case, be prepared to do some advanced math calculations to work out exactly how to match them..

And also, kudos to ktn3d for supplying the (free) textures I've used....

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:51 PM · edited Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:52 PM

file_362238.jpg

To get the textures to match the tiles, all that is needed is to match the size of the tile with the U & V scale of the Image Map (make sure that "Image Mapped" is set to "Tile" - the default). You will lose a little of the texture due to the tile node's mortar, but in most cases this shouldn't be noticable.

(Don't forget to click on the images to get a bigger view..)

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:57 PM

file_362240.jpg

A further example, this time with two image maps. I've changed the scaling of the tiles, and done the same for the U/V scales of both image maps.

diolma ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 3:59 PM

file_362241.jpg

And finally, a render....:-))

Cheers,
Diolma

Tashar59 ( ) posted Tue, 12 December 2006 at 10:54 PM

I remember that thread. I think it's a good thing to repost this. There are many new users, especially after the P5 give away.

Thanks for the refresher.

AntoniaTiger ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 3:53 AM

Remember that you can set the Mortar_Width to zero, and put the mortar on the texturemaps. Not much point in doing that here, but it means you could then do larger tile-node tiles with a more complicated tesselation in the texturemap. How about no edge-mortar in the textures, zero mortar-width, the the two sorts of tiles using the same tile-colours but diagonal mortar? Though that sort of diagonal gridding could be done without a tile node or a texture. I suspect the tile-node is a pre-built version of what can be done with a whole shder-tree. Possibly an XOR on two bar patterns which feeds a blender node? Sorry, I'm going into my weird shader-trees mode, but you can get something like XOR out of a black-and-white input set with math nodes. AND is a simple multiply. NOT is subtracting the value from 1 OR would be an addition followed by clipping (Ceiling function?). I know. I'm a freak.

u-designer ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:00 AM

Diolma said,
"Some time ago in a thread not far from here, someone ...".--- Hee Hee:-)

nice mini tut, thanks very much i will bookmark it.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.