Sat, Sep 21, 4:26 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 1:47 am)

Subject: Release date for P7 SR1..?

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:33 AM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 4:26 AM

Anybody know..? Cos I am reverting to P6 until it comes out.

Initially excited and pleased by some of the new/added features of P7... there are still bugs in it. 

I have only scratched the surface and can't be arsed finding more bugs.

I am a customer... not a beta tester..!  :cursing:

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:41 AM

So many bugs??????

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:49 AM

2 that I have found so far and as far as I am concerned 1 of them is a major bug. P7 crashing when importing existing P6 pz3's.

Whatever... even 1 bug is enough for me. I will go back to P6... monitor this forum and watch as other people go bug hunting...

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:58 AM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:58 AM

That's odd Ziggie, I've imported three pz3's, two from P6 and one from P5 and have had no troubles.  Heck, one is my most recent gallery posting, the pic locked up P6 about a third of the way through the render, P7 did the whole picture in under 2 hours!  (Full IBL AO, raytracing at 1600X1200 on an AMD 2600 with 1.25GB RAM)  Not too shabby.

Still, I'd be curious to hear about other people's encounters with bugs.

Now to think of it, while I was playing earlier today I did manage to crash it, but I figured it was my own fault.  I put a 150 frame walk designer animation on V4, then tried to add a Universal Pose motion capture at the end.  Whole system locked up and stopped responding.  I just figured I did something wrong.

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:58 AM

But you installed P7 under P6? I thought I could install P7 without touching my P6... or now your P6 crashes too?

CASETTE
=======

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 6:59 AM

Just proved it is not just my pz3's that are maybe faulty... 

Loaded pz3's supplied with 2 Rendo products... recently released and the same thing happens.

pz3's load with ultra bright lights.... you can move the scene around, but as soon as you try to alter the light intensity... pooof... P7 vanishes... no error messages... P7 just shuts down.

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:00 AM

I've got P5, P6 and P7 installed on my system, all working in some kind of freakish harmony, lol.  If I didn't wipe off P4 about a year ago... well, that is just too much system resources.  I don't know why I'm hanging on, but i held onto P4 for something like three years after getting P5.

(Yeah, I know you weren't asking me, I just wanted to feel a part of the conversation...)

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:01 AM

Quote - But you installed P7 under P6? I thought I could install P7 without touching my P6... or now your P6 crashes too?

Nooo... P7 is a clean install... with the P6 runtime added. P6 is still safe and running fine.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:05 AM

Quote - That's odd Ziggie, I've imported three pz3's, two from P6 and one from P5 and have had no troubles. 

Something odd going on somewhere then... but... in another post... someone reported they were crashing P7 after loading a pz3 made in P7...

Let's wait until a few more people have tryed out P7 and see what they report...

Casette ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:05 AM

@ThrommArcadia

Thanks ;)

@ziggie

Okay. It calms (quites? argh) me. I was thinking any kind of bug appearing both P6 and P7 since your P7 installation

Okay. Now I'm sure. Crossing fingers. Installing.......

CASETTE
=======

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:08 AM

I have gone with a pretty clean install myself, and working with completely new scenes I have found a couple of very ugly bugs, one in Cloth Room and it looks like another really bad bug with File Menu->Revert, twice now I have had Revert break a scene file to the point where it will not load any more and makes Poser crash.

I am going to stick with P7 just the same, I think I can live with the bugs, the improvements to camera control and render speed are welcome.

My Freebies

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:15 AM

The pz3 issue is something to do with the lights...

If I load a P6 pz3 it loads with ultra bright lights and I end up with a... light 1... LIGHT 1... light 2... LIGHT 2, etc in the scene... with duplicate lights..

Sooo... I just fired up P7 again... deleted all it's lights... loaded a P6 pz3 and... it has all sorts of lights listed, but only 1 bright one appears in the scene... the others aren't just blacked out... they are not there.

As soon as I try to alter the one light that is in the scene... kapoooie... P7 vanishes...

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 7:59 AM

Ziggie
I'm with you.  I'm sticking with Poser 6 until the bugs can be worked out with 7. 
Adrian

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:07 AM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:08 AM

A Service release is planned for early next year, most likely January. Can you folks give step by steps for repeating the bugs or contact e frontier's Technical Support with specifics about the problem? If I can repeat your issues on my end I'll report it today but you should still make a tech support notice.

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:09 AM

I have opened several of my p6 files and have not had it lock up nor have i seen ultra bright lights.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:09 AM · edited Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:14 AM

Quote - A Service release is planned for early next year, most likely January. Can you guys give step by steps for repeating the bugs?

Well for starters... can a few more people try importing some P6 pz3's..? See what happens...

The pz3's I have had trouble with that other peeples might have are... the pz3's with my products and the one with Ratracer's Scarey Basement... if anybody has those could they please try them out...

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:11 AM

I haven't found a pattern to the Revert problem eating files and making them unloadable, it's only happened to me a couple of times so far.  I sent a zipped copy of a broken scene file to e frontier tech support along with a description of the problem.

Cloth room bug appears to be connected to hitting Cancel while a simulation is running.  e frontier acknowledged that one, hopefully they'll get a fix out ASAP because I really prefer dynamic clothes to conforming for the most part.

My Freebies

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:16 AM

Quote - *** e frontier acknowledged that one***, hopefully they'll get a fix out ASAP because I really prefer dynamic clothes to conforming for the most part.

But they still released the program..?

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:41 AM

I've not had any problems with Opening Poser 6 files in Poser 7.  Is it all three of your products ziggie or just one in particular that's crashing? 

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:49 AM

It's the ICU and HRS and I get the same with the pz3 in Ratracers Scarey Basement...

Just now tried a P6 pz3 I saved a day or 2 ago which I had tried earlier in P7 and was okay... and now its doing the weird light fantastic..!

When this problem occurs... its like the pz3's load with their lights, but P7 retains its own lights... they remain in scene and on the light ball thing... but have no parameters to adjust... then when you try and alter them at the light ball... kappoooie.....

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 8:57 AM

Further to last post... if I don't use the pz3's... but load the products from P7 and exactly the same light sets as in the pz3's... then P7 responds properly... loads the new lights and deletes/alters the eisting P7 lights.. and everything is okay...

Am now going to try and save that out as a pz3.... reload it and see what happens...

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:01 AM

:cursing:  :cursing:   :cursing:

Okay... saved it out... reloaded... put sunglasses on... tried to adjust the extra set of lights and... kabooom.....

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:11 AM

:blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:

OMG...! Has anybody got a rope...? I think I am gonna hang myself    :blushing:

err... ummm... how embarrassing...

I was 'importing' the pz3's when I should have been 'opening' them...

Puts humble pie in oven to heat up... apologises to EF and hangs head in shame...

:blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:  :blushing:

pjz99 ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:15 AM

lol well at least you got that solved  :biggrin:

My Freebies

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:19 AM

beep... I am sorry, ziggie isn't at home at the moment... please leave a message after the tone... ***beep..

(I will reappear when I don't feel such a fool)    :blushing:

Circumvent ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:20 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Poser 6 having these many problems on it's initial release.  I know there were SR releases but nothing to the extreme that Poser 7 will probably have.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:30 AM

Having said all that... I just fired up P6 and 'imported' the same pz3's rather than 'opening' them, and... got the bright lights... but was able to adjust them and P6 carried on okay without crashing... so something may have been altered in P7...

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:35 AM

On the ultra bright lights:

I had this...check your material nodes on all your materials and lights.  P7 plugged in an extra grey bgcolor node into my lights from my p6 file.  Once I deleted it all was fine....

Tirjasdyn

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:40 AM

P6 had one major bug on release which was the Out of Memory Error.  The SR's have fixed this. 

All in all P7 isn't that buggy for me.  I only have one issue.  and the light may be due to updates in the node system...though it's not as bad as p5 to p6...unlike that release...I haven't had to redo all my materials..I had to redo nearly all of them to work in p6 due to upgrades in the material room.

Quote - Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember Poser 6 having these many problems on it's initial release.  I know there were SR releases but nothing to the extreme that Poser 7 will probably have.

Tirjasdyn

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 9:44 AM

Oh Ziggie.. a tip.. if you want to delete lights, there's a cript included in the dropdown now for deleting all lights easily.. and you can even undo it if you screw something up,. I love the multiple undos.. ;)

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:16 AM

Quote - Oh Ziggie.. a tip.. if you want to delete lights, there's a cript included in the dropdown now for deleting all lights easily.. and you can even undo it if you screw something up,. I love the multiple undos.. ;)

Thanxz Garee... aware of that. Used to use the delete all lights in P6 scripts as well, but... must admit that the new drop down menu is much nicer than using the scripts pallet. 

Hopefully... can add lots of scripts to the pull down menu, as with the P6 scripts pallet I had run out of slots and had to load manually which was a pain...

Yep.. the multiple undo/redo is great... just wish I could use it to correct my earlier blunder  :blushing:

Gareee ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 11:44 AM

Yep same here.. I ran out of slots using things like poser toolbox n such.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

SaintFox ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:25 PM

Although you found a solution of your problem (hey, mistakes like yours are in fact MY privilege - see signature :laugh:) I've loaded every scene that P6/P5 ever refused to render. No scene took longer than half an hour (1500x1000 pixels, firefly, AO, displacement, Aery-Soul armor - the full torture!) to render. What attracts me a lot is that I'm no able to get rid of the mega-lightdomes that come with some premade scenes (here: Alchemy Chasm) and that where much too much since P6. In P6 the delete lights script often failed on those masses of lights - now: No problems so far. Even portraits render fine!

Yes, there seem to be some problems (and things I havn't figured out yet) but the essential thing, setting up and rendering, is working fine, I think.

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

soulhuntre ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:34 PM

I havent had any problem opening older scenes and since it turns out you were "importing" hopefull we can lay to rest the "Poser7 can't open old scenes" meme that is even now approaching mythical status.

I can see it now, 2 years from now someone is going to say "Yeah, when Poser7 was released it couldn't even open my old scenes without killignmy dog!". I'll just shake my head and not even bother.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:35 PM

Yes... i am fast having to eat my hat... my shorts... my socks... the more I use and explore P7... the more interesting it becomes.

I find it so much faster to render than P6 even with all the bells and whistles switched on. 

I still think that the way P7 handles multi core/threading strange. If it had been set up to allow all 4 threads to work at the same time all over the render area.. rather than one per quarter, it could have been made even faster.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:39 PM

Suggestion noted. :)

jefsview ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:42 PM

Well, I had the same light problem with importing Pz3's.

What is more annoying is trying to finish my Xmas card. I was working with it in P6 and tried it out in P7. It's 236 mb, fully base figures, fully clothed, skinned with transmapped hair within a set, morphs dumped thanks to svdl's python script. BUt still 236 mb. It takes P7 about 10-15 minutes to open it, then freezes up/unresponsive when trying to do anything -- open a tab, move camera, etc.

P6 handles it fine. So far only the default lights, too. I just finished posing the scene last night after going back to P6. P6 is a little slow with it, but at least it doesn't freeze up.

So, yes there are bugs. Or memory handling issues. SR3 for P6 solved most of the old memory issues. So for anything more than a naked women in a temple, I'll have to use P6 ;)

-- Jeff

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:50 PM

file_362345.jpg

Shadows seem to be better handled and placed... they are actually under figures now and not off to one side as in previous versions...

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 12:58 PM

Jeff, what were your scene settings coming out of Poser 6? The one problem I've come across is when I have the Preview set to Open GL and the accumulation set to Hardware instead of Software. That forces your video card to hold all the info and it can really slow ya up if you don't have a power card installed. If you have that switched on you may want to turn it off and try again. 

Also, keep in mind the UNDO levels. Poser has to remember all this stuff now so as a personal (ie. NON-OFFICIAL) suggestion, I'd lower the undo levels when working on larger scenes. This comes from experience using 3D Modeling applications.

SaintFox ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:07 PM

Wow, Ziggie, what a crisp render and fine shadows. May I ask for your render-settings as I'm still trying out different settings?!

I'm not always right, but my mistakes are more interesting!

And I am not strange, I am Limited Edition!

Are you ready for Antonia? Get her textures here:

The Home Of The Living Dolls

jefsview ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:13 PM

Thanks for the suggustions, Tenyon. Yes, the P6 Pz3 had it saved as hardware. I didn't know that the undo levels had anything to do with it. I just left that at the default. Guess I'll go lower it and see if that helps out.

Thanks for the tips, man. I really like most of Poser 7, and the new features.

One other thing: one of my characters has a texture made by Jepe, that utilizes advanced Material settings, and appears all white. I have to unplug nodes to be able to pose the face. Any suggestions there (in Poser 7)?

Thanks again. Off to try it. Then, off to work. But I'll check back afterwards.

-- Jeff

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:25 PM

file_362348.jpg

> Quote - Wow, Ziggie, what a crisp render and fine shadows. May I ask for your render-settings as I'm still trying out different settings?!

Am using Firefly... Automatic... set to max... extreme right past final...

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:26 PM

It probably appears brighter in the preview because you're using an OpenGL display, mine is like that too. It renders fine though. If you switch to SreeD you'll see a difference in the preview but the render will remain the same. Not sure if that's a bug or how it's meant to work.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:27 PM

That's a cool render! ...ouch...cool...get it?!

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:30 PM

LOL... got it....

I thought it was quite n... n... n.. ice... as well...

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:40 PM

Ok, well I haven't run into any PZ3 bugs, but I have turned Sydney into Gumby in the cloth room when I added a second Dynamic cloth item to the scene. 

First Item: Dynamic Pants. Run Simulation. Perfect Fit.
Second Item: Dynamic Shirt: Falls through figure even though Collisions are turned on for the entire figure. Hitting cancel and redoing collisions doesn't fix it and eventually the cloth room begins to Clothify Sydney and first it was a rubber neck where her head shot up through the roof, second it was her right arm going all rubbery.

JHoagland ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:42 PM

To nip the upcoming rumor in the bud:
Poser 7 will EASILY open Poser 4, Poser 5, and Poser 6 scenes without any issues whatsoever. I personally have now opened over 30 scene files that I made in Poser 4 and Poser 6 and every single one of them opened fine and rendered exactly the same as if I opened them in Poser 6. It would be incredibly foolish if e-frontier didn't allow Poser 7 to open pre-existing Poser scene files.

Call me dense, but I still don't get why you would "File > Import" an existing Poser scene instead of just going to "File > Open". Do you normally import your pre-existing Word documents into Word 2000?

If you want faster renders, go to Edit > General Preferences, click on the Render tab, set the "threads" slider to 4, and click the checkbox underneath. This will allow the FireFly renderer to use multiple processors (if you have them) and separate memory threads.

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:43 PM

Wow. That is strange.  I'll give that a try right now.

ziggie ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 1:56 PM

Quote - Call me dense, but I still don't get why you would "File > Import" an existing Poser scene instead of just going to "File > Open". 

If you want faster renders, go to Edit > General Preferences, click on the Render tab, set the "threads" slider to 4, and click the checkbox underneath. This will allow the FireFly renderer to use multiple processors (if you have them) and separate memory threads.

No... I was dense... as I have admitted in this thread. I initially thought they would have to be imported, because the pz3's didn't originate from P7.

I have no problem with the P7 render speeds... I have been running with 4 threads selected, etc., I just find it strange the way the threads are handled.

Only 1 is used to render the shadows and when the threads have finished rendering their less intensive quarters of the render area they stop instead of all jumping in to help with the more intensive areas.

LostinSpaceman ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 2:02 PM

Quote -  
Call me dense, but I still don't get why you would "File > Import" an existing Poser scene instead of just going to "File > Open". Do you normally import your pre-existing Word documents into Word 2000?

I'll tell you exactly why someone would use File>Import on a PZ3 file. I do it all the time when I want to MERGE two different completed scenes into one file. Yes I usually delete all the lights of my current scene because Poser has Always loaded the new set of lights with their exact names causing duplicates so I knew about that already. 

Anyway, just wanted to pipe up with the instance where you would want to import a PZ3. Yes Matilda, people do Import PZ3's with the PZ3 import option built into Poser.

Teyon, If you're wanting to recreate the clothroom bugs I don't know if it matters but the clothes I used were ones made in Virtual Fashion Basic.

Teyon ( ) posted Wed, 13 December 2006 at 2:06 PM

Okay. Actually, that may well matter. I'm going to have to ask the gang about it though. Thanks for that update.

Oh, and keep it nice and friendly-like, folks. :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.