Fri, Sep 20, 12:32 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 6:55 am)

Subject: FYI: P7 Installation Problems

Larry-L ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 6:56 PM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 6:38 PM

Just an FYI--got my hard copy today in the mail and went to install, which it did, but wouldn't open.  Every time I clicked to open, it would for a fraction of a second and shut down.  Went through uninstall and install a couple of times to no avail.   Called Customer support a couple of times--no answer.  I took a look at the installed file system and I couldn't find the P7 folder--strange, where did they install too?  There was no separate P7 folder!  So, I had to manually created one to install too and voila problem solved.  So, reading all these threads for the last week and the problems that have popped up, I thought it might help someone else who might run into this same problem.  I surmise the default install might have gone to the P6 folder and conflicted with that version.  Anyway, now it's time to play with my new virtual people. 

Happy Rendering!

AmbientShade ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 7:13 PM

That's odd. I have the download version, and it installed just fine, to e-frontier's directory.

~E.D.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 7:58 PM

And I have the box version and it installed to the appropriate folders without a hitch.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

Larry-L ( ) posted Mon, 18 December 2006 at 8:00 PM

You know it's curious!  It didn't create a "e-frontier" directory.  I have an upgrade version of P6 which is installed in the default "curious labs" folder that it created.  I wonder if that has something to do with it--hmmmm!

1DanK ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:17 AM

Big sad day here, finally got the boxed version and the CD for Poser 7 will not read.  It spins and sits there.  The folder for the CD is empty so I suspect I have a bad CD.  Has anyone else had this problem?  

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:33 AM

Clean your DVD drive - had the same problem until I ran a cleaning disk.  Also, you are using a DVD drive, right?  You have to have that for the app to install.  The content cd is just a cd but the app disk is a DVD.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

1DanK ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:46 AM

Thanks for suggestion, I cleaned the drive and checked to see what it was.  It is a Phillips CDRW/DVD SCB5265.  I wonder if it only reads a certain format of DVDs.  Since the drive indicator in the folder for Poser 7 shows it as a CD it may be that that is the problem.  The drive does read some DVDs but I really don't use it that much for DVDs.  I did send an email to E-frontier support.  I wonder how they will fix this.  Maybe I will have to download it.  Buying a new drive is not an option.  Oh well, more waiting while everyone else wows and woos.

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 9:06 AM

Another suggestion - update your drivers.  The Phillips site should have updated drivers for the drive.  I'm using a Toshiba but will be adding a Sony to the array this week.  I updated my drivers when I cleaned the disk.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 10:50 AM

It might also require a firmware update of the drive - so keep your eyes open for something like this for your DVD drive while at Phillips' site - my old Sony DRU-500A had one of these to allow 4x DVD writes.

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

1DanK ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 1:03 PM

It seems the drive I have in my laptop supports the wrong kind-of DVD format.  So I went out and bought myself a new external DVD/CD drive (HP 940e) that supposedly supports every darn DVD format.  And...it worked, read the Poser CD no problem.  So, I am finally seeing how Poser 7 measures up...so far so good.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.