Mon, Sep 9, 8:06 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 09 6:38 am)

Subject: Improvements to the material room in P7?

Nalif ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:35 PM · edited Wed, 04 September 2024 at 5:36 AM

Does P7 improve the material room at all? Are new nodes added? If so, does anyone have a link where I could find out more about the material room updates and the new nodes specifically?

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:46 PM

I don't recall any imporvements.. hell we haven't even used 1/2 of what's there already.

You wanna see what youy haven't learned yet? Head over to RDNA's node forum, and check out any post over there by bagginsbill.

You'll be astounded (like me) at how material room illiterate you are.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

kuroyume0161 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 6:57 PM

I'd say that despite to what the Material Room is attached (Poser), it is an extremely powerful node-based material-shader system.  If you've tired of it already, you are either extremely proficient, intelligent, and easily bored or as illiterate as Gareee mentions (and I make no claims to much literacy myself). :)

Let's just say that there are only a couple of other 3D CG applications with this level of shader control (Pixels3D, from which this was licensed, and XSI, for instance).  What more do you want?

C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, you blow your whole leg off.

-- Bjarne Stroustrup

Contact Me | Kuroyume's DevelopmentZone

Nalif ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:06 PM · edited Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:07 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Quote - What more do you want?

New nodes to play with :)

I don't claim to know everything about the material room ( particularly some of the math functions etc ) but I'm fairly perficient.

http://www.arcanevisions.com/lava.wmv

http://www.arcanevisions.com/transformation.wmv (This one has nudity)

http://www.arcanevisions.com/zombie.wmv

Those are some materials I made some time ago, but they've been lost in a reformat sadly :(
As opposed to using keyframes, which can't be saved to the material library, they use math nodes to loop. Ajax helped me out with the looping part, though, so I can't claim full credit :)

I was just hoping they'd added a slew of new nodes to play with. I enjoy working in the material room more than any other room inside of Poser.

Gareee ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 7:32 PM

Take a look at BaginsBill's paramatric shaderutility.. if you are that proficient already in the material room, you can probably elevate yourself to Node God status, like he has in short order.

His new procedural woven materials are just astounding.

Way too many people take way too many things way too seriously.

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:03 PM

Attached Link: The Node Cult - A forum for shader nerds

file_363145.jpg

This Glenn Plaid cloth is 100% procedural. No images were used in its construction.

It is 413 nodes. Works in P5, 6, or 7.

Follow the link for more info - ask questions there.

Hope you like it!

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Wed, 20 December 2006 at 4:16 PM

Nalif,

That's some pretty nice work you did there. I like them. You really should participate in the node cult. I think you'd enjoy it.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 3:57 AM

i've just got to say, proper subsurface scattering and translucence would still be great. 

ThrommArcadia ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 4:39 AM

Bagginsbill, those clothes are so beautiful I want to weep!!!

Amazing.

My head starts to hurt after about 10 nodes, unfortunately, but I think I'm going to come and lurk a bit in your node forum.

Incredible...

kobaltkween ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 11:51 AM

the really neat read is the random threads.  if you go to the rdna node cult forum, you'll can read about how the threads, the weave and the plaids all work.  it's really incredible.

Kristta ( ) posted Thu, 21 December 2006 at 2:39 PM

bookmark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.