Mon, Sep 9, 5:30 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 08 5:10 pm)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Begging Tromnek: pls pls please do Poser7-friendly PRPCD

infinity10 ( ) posted Tue, 19 December 2006 at 8:39 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 1:32 AM

I am crippled in using my Poser7 without PRPCD.   As you know, I use Advance Library and PRPCD extensively to find and load content.  Please try to update the PRPCD to a Poser 7 -friendly version.  A Big Thank You !

Eternal Hobbyist

tromnek ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 3:16 PM

Really sorry I missed this post (don't know how).

What isn't working?

I haven't done extensive testing, but the only thing we've found so far is that you can't run
other scripts while PRPCd (or any other script for that matter) is running.
Was this the problem?

You can run other scripts using PRPCd's  'Run python script'  button.

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 4:57 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

I've been using it just fine ever since I got P7 and, in fact, I wouldn't be able to load my huge runtimes anyway since P7 crashes when asked to Build Folder Menus.   This script is a lifesaver!

infinity10 ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 9:14 PM

Uh,  yes, other scripts seem to clash with PRPC.
sheepish grin

I don't care about the so-called library management imrpovements in Poser 7.  PRPC and Advance Library are the best combination.  Period.

Please go enjoy your holiday season now !!

Eternal Hobbyist

Kalypso ( ) posted Fri, 22 December 2006 at 11:51 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

What is Advance Library?  I use PRPC with P3DO Explorer. 

infinity10 ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 4:14 AM

Advance Library is by Dizzi :
http://neocron.lunarpages.com/library/

I cannot use Poser much, without it .

Eternal Hobbyist

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 6:41 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Thanks infinity, I'll try that as well and see which is quicker :)

Kalypso ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 8:22 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

I posted this in Dizzi's forum as well but figured I might try here in case you've also run across the same problem.

I just downloaded and installed Advanced Library 1.0.0.6 .  I tried running just the application like the instructions said but I got nowhere.  Next I tried installing and although it shows up in my start menu when I select acb/Advanced Library nothing happens.   I even ran the Net Framework installation again to repair any errors.  I have a number of software that use the Net Framework and they are all running well so I suppose it might be something else on my system preventing it from running or something very simple I'm overlooking.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tromnek ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 10:03 AM

Kalypso. Yes, Dizzi's forum is the best place to debug Advanced Library problems.

The PRPCd problem with running other scripts is not particular to PRPCd.

It seems that if any script is running Poser 7 disables menus for running scripts until the first script exits.
Since PRPCd runs all the time, this is a major issue for prpc. However, you can run other scripts using PRPCd's  'Run python script button'. This button was mainly setup to run client scripts, so it isn't very versatile, but it will run other scripts just fine.

We need to find out why e-frontier decided to disable their script menus (ie. what problems they encountered). Then see if we can solve their problem so that they are willing to leave the script menus enabled.

Until then, use PRPCd's  'Run python script'  button.  If we can't work out something with e-fronteir, then we'll try and come up another solution or hack.

btw.
I'll be away in the country on vacation until after the new year. So I won't be working on this until then.

Dizzi ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 1:57 PM

I added Python script execution via PRPC to the latest AL beta. Might be useful for some of them. I'd suggest everyone to report that as bug to e-frontier so they consider that a more imporant bug to fix.

tromnek ( ) posted Sat, 23 December 2006 at 8:51 PM

Oh yes. I completely forgot about that.
In PRPCd you need to enable 'Remote python script execution'.
Then you can send python scripts to PRPCd and it will execute them.
It will prompt you for confirmation if the 'with confirmation' box is checked.

Thank you Dizzi for adding that to AL.

P3dO also has a 'Run Python Script' option in the 'Tools' menu.
But you need to enable it first.

You need to enable this in Tools->Options->PlugIns->PoserPython
activate the 'Extended' checkbox, click 'Ok' then restart P3dO.

Then P3dO will have the 'Run Python Script' option avaliable in the 'Tools' menu.

You can also use 'Windows Explorer' if you installed 'snd2sock'.exe  to create the 'Send To' right-click context menu.

yarp ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 1:06 AM

A workaround would be that Prpc should only be run when needed (when "Open with Poser" is called). I'm working on fixing it that way. 
The PoserPyhton plugin alone could fix the prob, no need of a P3dO update. I'll post it in Free Stuff when done.

The reason why "'Run Python Script" is an option in P3dO is explained in P3dO's PoserPython plugin help file (security reason). 

yarp
www.senosoft.com

Yarp - author of P3DO Organizer for Poser

hogwarden ( ) posted Sun, 24 December 2006 at 4:26 PM

I agree with Yarp...

Having the PRPC Daemon open only when needed is a good workaround.
PBooost Virtuoso already has an option for the script to be closed after use, or closed after "n" seconds of inactivity. This is a hidden option in the latest version as I wasn't sure if it would be useful:)) Good job I left it in!

It seems a little cloak-and-dagger, but to activate it, open the general preferences, hold down SHIFT+ALT+CTRL and click in the space under the option "Minimize the script after use". The options for auto-close will appear from then on.

In the release version I will make the function activated.

It will be interesting to find out why EF would like only one script running!

Howard:)
www.hogsoft.com

tromnek ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 11:24 AM

Something that we would need to be careful about with the above proposal is that no other python script using Tk is running when you startup PRPCd in it's ''run as needed' mode.

I think I prefer running PRPCd all the time (like we've been doing).
It provides system crash protection for running multiple Tk python scripts, IF it is started before any other scripts.

But mainly I want to run it all the time because;
I use alot of client modules (posefilter and conformto in particular), so I like having PRPCd running all the time with my client modules configured.

Now in Poser 7, to run python scripts, I'm keeping an 'windows explorer' session on my task bar which points to my pythonscripts folder. This way I can easily launch them remotely whenever I need one. I'm leaving 'with confirmation' enabled so I get a chance to confirm execution of the script.

I'm thinking that I might try and figure out a way to duplicate Pose 7's python script menus in some other alternative system. Maybe some win32ui calls to search the menu handles?

Any return thoughts on this?

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 25 December 2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote - I'm thinking that I might try and figure out a way to duplicate Pose 7's python script menus in some other alternative system. Maybe some win32ui calls to search the menu handles?

Any return thoughts on this?

The Scripts menu is constructed to match the file/directory hierarchy in RuntimePythonposerScriptsScriptsMenu, so no need to do anything more complicated than walk that directory tree (which would also be cross platform).

tromnek ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 4:46 PM

Thanks. Should be pretty straight forward.

Dizzi ( ) posted Thu, 28 December 2006 at 5:13 PM

I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle, as scripts like wardrobe wizzard etc. need the buttons to work, so one has to close down PRPC then anyway...

tromnek ( ) posted Fri, 29 December 2006 at 10:40 PM

bummer.

I'll have to start working on saving prpcd's state along with the state of configured client modules.

Then when prpcd starts up, it could;
reload it's state
run the requested operation (file load or save)
save it's state
then exit

but, I don't think I'll get to this very soon.

I want to release a public 1.35.02 version.
Is there anything crucial I should add to the beta (1.35.01i) that I posted at sourceforge?

leather-guy ( ) posted Sat, 03 February 2007 at 9:39 PM

. . . Any progress with the update?
Thanks!

leather-guy ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 1:52 AM

Still no word?

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 2:00 AM

Whoops - all I can say is - the single instance of PRPCd works with Poser 7SR1, but if you try running more than one python, it won't run.

Eternal Hobbyist

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.