Sun, Sep 22, 12:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 28 6:28 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: My 1st BRYCE

vdallas ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 11:26 AM · edited Sun, 22 September 2024 at 12:37 AM

file_168098.jpg

This is my 1st feeble effort at B4 & 3D. It's one of those 'Alien Worlds' thingies. I'm happpy with the custom sky (overdone), and the textures. However, 3 problems I was unable to solve... 1) The sun is OBLONG & distorted! Why? 2) The pyramid is distorted because I don't know how to resize an object with constrained proportions. 3) The dark material at the base of the pyramid... I'm not sure it's part of the .MAT or is some sort of reflection of the haze line at the horizon? All this makes me want to throw this into PhotoShop and do it RIGHT! :-) Any help? Any other suggestions? TIA Vince

tradivoro ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 1:31 PM

Well, overall, it's a cool vibe.. The skies are nice... I dont' know why the sun is doing that... By now, I just do things in BRyce so I'm the worse person for technical explanations on how to do things.... it's possible the darkness could be the haze line...

itsrainin ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 2:43 PM

It looks like the camera perspective is what is distorting it, but i can never remember what key it is to reverse it.... itsrainin

adh3d ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 4:36 PM

If you use a material from material libraries, some of them has diferent materias depending of altitude of model, to use them in montains.

adh3d website

miden1138 ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 5:53 PM

Vdallas, I think Itsrainin hit the nail on the head. Use the "Reset Views" to set the camera back to it's default position. And Adh3d is also right, I believe. It does look like you used an altitude sensitive mat on the pyramid. I think that with the pyramid, you should try resizing it only on the "Y" axis, either in the Edit menu or with the little black dots on the box surrounding the object. I don't know if any of this is right, but give it a shot! Hope this helps! :)

miden1138 ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 5:54 PM

BTW, I love the sky!

theFOG ( ) posted Wed, 02 May 2001 at 9:38 PM

file_168100.jpg

How to resize an object with constrained proportions? Just click on the middle of the resize icon and drag. Make shure you are in the middle.

vdallas ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 11:05 AM

file_168101.jpg

Well, I took everyone's advise and... 1) Reset the camera position to default and the sun is now round. I had done some tutorials I D/Led from this great site, and somehow someone recommended setting the camera to '0,0,0'. I still don't know why. I'll have to Email them. 2) The dark line at the base of the pyramid IS part of the .MAT file and not a relection of colors from the sky. (I removed all color and it it was still there.) 3) I resized the pyramid with contrained proportions. (Thanks theFOG!) I also added another little goodie since this whole practice piece was somehat overdone anyway. :-) Thanks all... I'LL BE BACK! Vince

miden1138 ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 11:59 AM

Vince, Looks good! One question, tho'. Where did you get the scorpion model? I want one! sound of me pounding on keyboard in jealous rage :)

vdallas ( ) posted Thu, 03 May 2001 at 12:26 PM

The scorpian.cob I got somewhere on the Web... somewhere. I'll Email it to anyone who wants it. It IS pretty neat, but it doesn't have a stinger. I made a quick brush stroke in PhotoShop to add it. (Everyday is a 'learning day'.) Vince

brycetech ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 5:32 AM

Hi I admire anyone that will post their first bryce image in this crowd. I still find it amazing that my first one was a bunch of mirrored spheres (thats like a right-of-passage image) the reason your sun was like that was because you had changed the field of view (its the little button above and to the right of the main camera control) to a wide angle. they answered the resize question and also answered the texture question to define a altitude sensitive material: the texture changes over the height of the object based on the altitides of the highest and lowest objects in a scene. for instance, if you had an object at 0 and one at 100 Bryce units and had one that was only 25 bryce units high, the material on this object would be determined by the ones at 0 and 100 so you can see that an object would appear differently if one of the objects was at 300 instead of 100...because this would skew the altitude calculation. have fun Brycin'! BT http://www.brycetech.com/

miden1138 ( ) posted Fri, 04 May 2001 at 11:20 PM

Vince, I would love that scorpion. Pls send to me, please, pretty please. With a cherry on top and everything.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.