Tue, Oct 22, 10:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 22 10:16 am)

Subject: Texture Problem

Nebula ( ) posted Mon, 01 January 2007 at 8:36 AM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 10:24 AM

file_364219.jpg

I am working on an image of JoJo in a leather chair.  When I render it, JoJo's texture comes out fine.  But the chair texture looks like electric arcs, I assume due to the vein texture of the leather.  I believe adding more light will fix the problem but it will also washout JoJo's skin.  Am I right in this question?

Is there a way of having poser render the chair with a light that considers JoJo invisible?  In other words, making my model invisible to the light, there by only lighting the chair and not washing out the models' skin?

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 9:37 AM

file_364329.jpg

Hi Nebula,

When I load that chair and don't touch it's shader, I cannot produce the effect you are seeing at all. It renders nicely under any sort of lights, with any angle, any brightness, any kind of shadows.

However, I can get something that looks like your second render if I alter the shader. The bump map that comes with the chair is a strange thing. It loads with by default with a scale of 1 and a texture strength of .1, and the Bump value is set to 1 inch, which surely a wierd way of doing things.

When I raise the scale to 2, and set the texture_strength to 1, and use a bump of .5, I get the ugly over-done bump in the specular reflection as you see above.

I don't think it's a lighting problem, I think the shader has been changed in a bad way. Did you edit the chair shader at all? Try reducing the bump value.

The third render, with those wierd striations completely escapes me. I have no idea how you got that.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 9:42 AM

file_364333.jpg

Here I've adjusted the specular settings and put the bump back in the way the original shader came in the P6 library. The lights are the same as before. This looks more natural. If you don't want the leather to be shiny, you can lower the Specular_Value even more. Adjusting the Highlight_Size up or down will significantly change how the specular reflections are reacting to the bump map.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 9:56 AM

file_364336.jpg

Just to show you how important the bump and specular settings are, I've modified the shader to produce a soft, napped surface, like suede. The lights are still the same.

Nebula ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 10:37 AM

Nice indeed!  I am going to delete the chair and add it back in.  I don't know why I didn't think of this before.  I just don't recall messing around with any material setting, at least for the chair that is.

Nebula ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 11:06 AM

Deleting it and reloading it did the trick.  I still have the goobered one saved.  I'll go back and see what I may have.... goobered. :)

Thanks again!

Nebula

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 12:58 PM

Goobered ... snicker

Glad it's fixed.

Nebula ( ) posted Tue, 02 January 2007 at 1:04 PM

Yeah, I'm gonna post another image to my gallery here shortly.  Thanks for your help tho for sure!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.