Thu, Sep 19, 5:19 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser Python Scripting

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 2:50 am)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Poser7 Python Execution slow

dtacy1 ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 8:30 AM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 6:31 PM

file_364425.doc

I have a script I wrote to point a character's eyes at a selected target actor. Under Poser 7 this python script takes forever to complete. Under Poser 6 it's fast.

Is anyone else seeing problems with Poser 7 python scripting speed??

script attached..... Use at your own risk :)

I take that back....  The Select Actor method is slow in becoming active in P6.   The script completion is slow in P7 after Select Actor.  I guess Poser's built-in dialogs have some internal issues.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 12:34 PM

I just tried the script in P7, it only takes a few seconds to run, so I suspect the problem is with your machine or installation.
I'd suggest printing out some progress information to find out where your experiencing delay.

dtacy1 ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:02 PM

Grrrr.....

Nope, it's not an installation problem. It's a WinXP 64 bit problem. I ran it on a WinXP 32 bit installation, and it ran without a delay.

That was actually run with the same installation - I just network shared the install directory, and ran on another system. Works as long as only one version of the serial number stamped poser executable is active. A little slower on loading files, but I don't have to install Poser on every system I may want to use in the house. One central installation, and I can use poser "like a book".

It's looking like it is some kind of video driver issue under WinXP 64. If I use SreeD instead of OpenGL  the delays go away completely. Strange.... I'll have to see if there are driver updates for my video.

semidieu ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:54 PM

Just tested it in my WinXP 64bit... And it works perfectly !

Great script, by the way.

nruddock ( ) posted Wed, 03 January 2007 at 2:56 PM

You might also try not using the hardware shading for preview (assuming you were using it in the first place).

dtacy1 ( ) posted Thu, 04 January 2007 at 3:24 PM

nruddock - Looks like any use of the OpenGL causes a delay. Using software only display and the scripts run quickly.

semidieu - Glad it works for you! I did disable my second monitor, and the script ran faster, but not enough different to justify losing the second monitor!!!  I haven't noticed any other graphics related issues like this, and I've been running WinXP64 since it was in beta.

Looks like the slow down is drivers/WinXP 64 on my side.  The SreeD software rendering seems to be just as fast as the OpenGL - and that's not right. I'll probably be trying out Vista soon, anyway. Things are bound to get worse before they get better ;)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.