Thu, Sep 19, 5:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 4:23 pm)

Subject: Morphing photo/poster frame please.

puddykat ( ) posted Tue, 16 January 2007 at 1:17 PM · edited Thu, 19 September 2024 at 5:35 PM

Attached Link: Gerald Day's Free Morphing Framed Canvas Prop

Gerald Day [http://fast3d.actionbabecentral.com/] made a framed canvas that could be resized without the width of the frame being distorted. The vertical to horizontal aspect or ratio could be changed without one side being thicker than the other. Has anyone made a prop of a poster frame or photo frame that can also take non-standard image sizes? I have been making custome frames which is a lot of work and my next move is to try to make a morphing mat to fit odd shapped images to more standard frames, but I was wondering if a morphing frame was already about. Also, has anyone ever made a really ornate pictureframe? Thank you.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 5:01 AM

I'm not clear on how a poster or photo frame would differ from what Gerald made. If you can give more details on what it is you're looking for, it shouldn't be too difficult to make something.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 5:23 AM

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

puddykat ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 9:51 AM · edited Wed, 17 January 2007 at 9:54 AM

file_365863.jpg

How did you do that Acadia? I found some cool stuff but not a frame that will take odd shapes except the Gerald Day. I will have to search up my DAZ password ansd see if the freestuff frame takes different aspects.

English Bob, it would be kind if you did want to go to the trouble but not worries if you don't. I think of a picture frames as being like in the image on the right: wood surfaces in plasterwork or textured paint and covered in metalic foil or paint or antiquing while I think of poster as being as like in the image on the left or even more minimal than that, a thin strip or clip of metal or plastic sandwhiching the poster between a backing board and a sheet of plexiglass plastic.

I am trying with great difficulty to make realistic ordinary domestic settings. Finding ordinary rather than delux Poser scenes is really quite difficult. I want to put posters on the wall rather than fancy paintings such as in what looks like the terrifc OhhBetty framed painting set here in the market place but I am frustrated being stuck to the standard shapes of the frames I have found. I am wanting a universal frame I can just load multiples of and then morph and texture with un-dited images... that is images that are full. I don't know how to explain that. What I did for each frame I have now is I usedUVmapper classic to blow the image portion of of the UV up all the way so I can load in un-prepaired images rather than having to edit my images to the template... this means I can shop for paintings/prints by just going through my folders of lo-res samples and then I can have room or studio cluttered with art.

Well, thank you :)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 11:03 AM

How about a frame where the surround was morphable for thickness etc., as well as the picture area being adjustable for aspect ratio? I understand what you mean about the mapping. If I assign a separate material zone to the picture area, you can then apply any borderless image file directly to it in the material room. That should be quite simple to do, but I have limited time to play. If you aren't in a hurry I'll try to put something together in the next few days.

Acadia ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 1:23 PM

Quote - How did you do that Acadia?

The  not so secret secret to my ability to post links for items is Mystic Nights' search database for free stuff.

http://mystic-nights.com/directory/index.php

If someone is looking for a particular item I go there and enter in a key search word: in this case I used the word FRAME, and it pulls up sites with related items.  Then I just look through the displayed links for t the highlighted word  (IE: FRAME)  to see if any are what I was looking for. I can then go to that site and look at the item. 

If you are searching for something like "hair", you pull up all things with the ordered letters "hair" like "chair", so sometimes you have to wade through the pages of displayed links looking for ones that are hair related.

It's a great site and you can find pretty much anything you are looking for through it.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

puddykat ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 4:21 PM · edited Wed, 17 January 2007 at 4:22 PM

Thank you English Bob. No rush. It is only for on-going personal projects.  Borderless images for the picture area is exactly what I meant, I just had no idea how to explain it!

Acadia :( I had imagined superhuman powers at work! Now the mystery is dashed! Thank you though.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 5:13 PM · edited Wed, 17 January 2007 at 5:25 PM

Attached Link: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/Renderosity/picture.pp2

I had some time to play, so here's a very simple 5 polygon prop to make absolutely sure I *do* know what you're talking about. No warranties are given or implied. ;) --Edit-- It will probably download as a text file, and come up in your browser, so right click and do Save As... and call it Picture.pp2 or whatever you want. --End Edit-- The download is just the straight PP2 file - put it in a folder of your props library. There are two material zones. Apply any borderless image file to the Picture material; the Surround material can be coloured, have a texture applied to it or whatever you like. Adjust the dials to suit your taste and to make the picture look right. At the moment the Size and Surround Size dials muck up the picture's aspect ratio. I haven't worked out the maths yet, so it will be trial and error; if possible I'll make it a bit more user friendly! If that works for you, I'll attempt to make a frame which follows the same morphs, and is adjustable for thickness and depth. Oh, terms of use: this is public domain. Do whatever you want with it; sell it on TurboSquid for $200, claim you made it, I don't care. ;)

puddykat ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 6:40 PM

English Bob, the prop as it is works very nicely and the need to adjust for the size and surround morphs is not a problem as far as I am concerned but really if you wanted to spend the time on it I would love something where the surround (frame) was dimensional so it cast a shadow not only on the wall but also a little on the inset picture. I understand if that is too much trouble. Whether there should be a second transparent reflective layer over the inset to act as the glass/plexi I don't know if I should ask for but once it is there it is easy to get rid off. Thanks for even thinking to look at this :)

ockham ( ) posted Wed, 17 January 2007 at 10:07 PM

Here's another alternative.  Has width and height morphs, and
an adjustable matte.  Includes the UV template.

http://ockhamsbungalow.com/MiscProps/PictureFrame.zip

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

EnglishBob ( ) posted Thu, 18 January 2007 at 4:10 AM

Quote - [...]I would love something where the surround (frame) was dimensional so it cast a shadow not only on the wall but also a little on the inset picture.

To clarify what I've made so far, the Surround material is supposed to be the equivalent of the white area on the left hand example you posted (the poster frame). It's usually a piece of thick card or plain paper, sometimes with the picture title and artist's name on it like the one you showed. I'm planning to add a frame so that you can have those shadows. It will follow the same morphs, but probably not be very elaborate. Fine detail such as that in your right hand picture is probably best added with a bump or displacement map. > Quote - [...]Whether there should be a second transparent reflective layer over the inset to act as the glass/plexi I don't know if I should ask for but once it is there it is easy to get rid off.

I had thought the exact same thing, so don't worry about asking. It's only one extra polygon, after all. ;)

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sat, 20 January 2007 at 12:33 PM

Attached Link: http://www.morphography.uk.vu/dl.php?file=pictureframe.zip

file_366233.jpg

Here it is... The wood texture and the picture aren't included. You can apply just about any general purpose wood texture to the "Frame" material, preferably one where the grain runs vertically. Apply any borderless image file to the "Picture" material zone, and adjust the dials to get the shape correct. There are dials for frame depth and width, picture area size, and width and height of the whole thing which will also adjust the aspect ratio to suit your chosen image. There is a glass material, but it's hard to see in this Poser 4 render. The prop should be suitable for all versions from 4 upwards. Have fun with it, and let me know of any problems.

puddykat ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:39 PM · edited Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:42 PM

file_366357.jpg

THANK YOU! This is even beter than I had hoped! This is a Poser 4 render, in Poser 6 I was able to use wood materials for the frame and metalics for the insert mats and get all sorts of effects but  it looks nice with a chrome as shown on either side here in this render, and of course in basic black. Terrific. Thank you :)

The floor and wall are dial-a-tile frome free stuff. The chair is freestuff by tonylynch. The wall paper is DreamTeam's Wallpapers and Borders Shop Vol. I and  the molding is McKain Moulding Vol 1 both from the Market Place.

If you want to see what prints people keep in there homes do search with sort-by-popularity at art.com which sells poster prints. I am still trying to find how to search for real as oposed to "desktop" wallpaper.

Thanks!

EnglishBob ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:28 PM

Excellent! Thanks for showing me that, I always enjoy seeing my stuff in use. I'm glad it was what you wanted.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.