Sat, Sep 21, 2:43 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 07 1:44 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Carrara and Multiple Processors...very cool

brycetech ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:21 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 2:39 PM

file_366353.jpg

Hi all

I finally got to crank up carrara with my new computer.  Im happy to report that, while rendering...it flat kicks tail, using all processors.

However, it does not use all when doing preview renders (marquee with the camera)
It also does not appear to use them when calculating for particles.  To me, both of these should be done as it'd dramatically increase speed.  Particles, at least...should be passed between cpu's for location (as it seems to do this calculation before beginning rendering) and when dealing with a lot of particles, this could really help.

all in all, Im still very happy with the render working with them.

BT

nruddock ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 2:53 PM

Quote - Particles, at least...should be passed between cpu's for location (as it seems to do this calculation before beginning rendering)

It's not quite as easy to do that as it is to render buckets on multiple threads (buckets are independent, the particles interact with each other and so need some synchronisation between parallel calculations).

Quote - and when dealing with a lot of particles, this could really help.

It certainly would.

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 3:42 PM

Wow. So that is a double quad core kind or thing going on? Great to see the software is built to grab the power if it is there.

brycetech ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:14 PM

yeah
double quad core 2.66

:)
BT

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Sun, 21 January 2007 at 4:20 PM

Okay. Now I have to find a suitable way to say I really think you deserve raw power like that without expressing envy at all... (that could take some time :-} Eh. Good for you! You go, brycetech! ... Hurray!

Rondino ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 2:25 PM

Brycetech I wasn't sure they were sellign them yet.  Where did you get it?  Also do you knwo what kind of motherboard it has?
thanks

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:15 PM

its a dell precision 690
thats a dell board (made just for them) so not available to the general public.

It took a while for them to release the 2.66 ghz processors...but the 1.8 were out right off the bat.

I wouldnt buy until the faster ones were available.

it should be well worth the money (in the time it saves me to do stuff)

BT

Rondino ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:44 PM

Thanks for the info.  I was getting a quad core and hoped to get a MB that would take two of them.  But it doesn't seem possible now.  

But its nice to knwo the 8 cores work with carrara.

Kixum ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:07 PM

Brycetech,

You just rock in general.

Still doing Amapi work or have you moved on to other stuff?

-Kix

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:13 PM

file_366511.jpg

yeah I have several new models for a new dvd which were made in amapi and a detailed interior which is part imports and amapi.

images attached
BT

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:14 PM

file_366512.jpg

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:14 PM

file_366513.jpg

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:15 PM

file_366514.jpg

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:17 PM

file_366515.jpg

brycetech ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:19 PM

file_366516.jpg

Odessey ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:14 PM

No kidding real excellent material !

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.