Sat, Sep 21, 10:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 21 10:34 pm)

Subject: If you haven't already checked Freestuff today, I strongly suggest you do.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Wed, 12 April 2006 at 6:58 PM · edited Sat, 21 September 2024 at 10:41 PM

There's an amazing set of stuff by winnston1984, previously for sale here.  I was planning to buy these at the end of the month and here they are for free.

If you're a fan of urban stuff like me, this will be right up your street, as it were.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

cliff-dweller ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 12:48 AM

Wow! Thanks for the heads up, ST! And thanks to winnston1984 for offering these great props! :thumbupboth:

Check out my full gallery at Cliff-Dweller Artworks

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 1:35 AM

Wow! Thos have been in my wishlist since I saw them first time! Thanks for the Heads Up!

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 5:49 AM

Great stuff by winnston1984. A lot of time and effort into this. Thanks.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 6:20 AM

Not such good news for those who bought and paid for this item.  Don't see any refund or 'select another item' offered.   :cursing:

That will now make me NOT want to buy any future products from this merchant - just wait till they're put up for free

Gill

stonemason ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 7:12 AM

thats some nice textures on those models,really nice work

:thumbupboth:

Cg Society Portfolio

pakled ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:19 AM

well, it's a gamble; some things will eventually be offered for free, and some never will. you pays your money and you takes your chances..

I wish I'd said that.. The Staircase Wit

anahl nathrak uth vas betude doth yel dyenvey..;)

ashley9803 ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:24 AM

I see your point gillbrooks. Sorry for rubbing it in. Perhaps there should be some sort of recourse for those who have forked out good money for things that later turns up as free stuff. Talk to the merchant. Most people around here seem to be very reasonable and generous with their products. (or am I being naive?)**

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 8:34 AM

I do agree with Gillbrooks actually. As nice as it may seem at first (and believe me, I am personally THRILLED) it's.. not good for business as a whole.

I've offered one or two of my VERY old products as freebies, but not before they'd been gone from the Market place in around a year. Because I know how I'd feel if I'd just paid good money for something and see it for free a week later (and I've actually tried that...)

It's a little like putting things on sale, and the reasone why I very rarely have a sale.. I feel honestly bad for the people who has just paid full price the day before...

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

trouz69 ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 12:11 PM

Well I can't fault the guy... he's doing it as a promotion to get people to watch his 'The Movies' movie and it's smart.

Do you guys also plan to abstain from purchasing Daz products because they are using a similar means of promotion by heavily discounting new products and even giving older products away from free to drawing winners?

Will you never purchase Kurt Hair or Madelyne Hair for full price just because it was once on sale for 90% off?

I don't agree that it's bad for business because for every one person who had purchased his products and feels slighted their are now five people who had never heard this merchant's name and now have become potential customers for his new products simply because of this promotion and this resulting discusson.

-Owen

ratscloset ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 12:14 PM

You could always contact the artist and ask.. might offer an alternative to loyal customers.

ratscloset
aka John

pleonastic ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 10:45 PM

i don't understand the griping, really, beyond knowing the feeling of something having gotten away from me, heh -- i think most of us have felt that. however, non-virtual things go on sale all the time, and those who bought the items the week before are out of luck, as are those who buy them afterwards. if you stopped buying from everyone who does promo giveaways, you'd in no time flat be reduced to not buying from anyone out there. :) i've been buying computer equipment and software for 20+ years, and they lose value faster than you can say "depreciation".

and i don't believe it's bad for business -- since when? promos and sales are common techniques to bring in more business. i am more likely to buy from merchants who also put out great freebies. even if i bought the item yesterday at full price. some merchants i've only found through giveaways and sales. in my trade, i think it's cool that some software providers eventually give away their older products, or better yet, open-source them, even if i paid for the product. and i like to award people who participate in the gift culture, so the gifts keep on giving.

xantor ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 10:59 PM

I was going to say what pleonastic said, things like dvds and music cds become free and people don`t say "I bought that dvd so will the company who made it give me a refund?".

Talos ( ) posted Thu, 13 April 2006 at 11:00 PM

I agree with Pakled. It's fantastically lucky for me, since these are the very items I've wanted to buy for ages, but have been putting it off. I'm in bowery heaven with my new zombie. Don't forget, Winston has many other excellent products. The demon skeeter is on my wish list.

Gordon_S ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 8:59 PM

Last fall, DAZ proceeded to give away a number of items, a few of which I'd purchased previously. On those that were withing DAZ's time limit, I applied for the credit. On those which weren't, I shrugged. That's the way commerce works. I'm certainly not going to stop doing business with DAZ over it.

Gordon

Dave-So ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 10:29 PM

I have to admit when I saw those as freestuff, I was a bit miffed...I had purchased them when they first came out. It does give a bad feeling in the pit of your stomach knowing that not long before you threw out the bucks for what is now being given away.

However, it is also a good way to stop merchants from ever giving away or reducing the price on their products if we bitch about it every time they do a reduction or giveaway. I guess we just need to suck it up and move on. If you see a product you like, you have a choice.. buy it now because you like it or need it,,,or you can wait with the expectation that at some point in time it will go on sale or will be given away. You  may be waiting a long time

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it.
Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together.
All things connect......Chief Seattle, 1854

Jackson ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 10:39 PM

I don’t worry about deals other people get; I concern myself with me. That way, if I’m happy with my purchase I’m happy, no matter what someone else gets it for. If someone gets it cheaper—or free—God bless ’em!  And, yes, it has happened to me.

Thanks, winnston, for the great stuff!

j_g ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 11:27 PM

One thing folks may not be considering is, those who paid for the items may have made it possible for the person to create such items in the first place. If the creator has to buy Poser, and other materials, in order to create the things that the rest of you use, then he has to come up with the money somehow to obtain what he needs, and dedicate time away from other, perhaps more lucrative pursuits.

Think of it like a "site donation" -- as if you got the items "free", but you also made a "donation" to the creator to encourage him to continue with his work, and to cover some of his costs.

I release a lot of free software myself (most of it not related to Poser or 3D work), and I know that it costs me time and money to do so. I do not ask anyone to donate anything to compensate me in any way, and I don't expect it. I just like writing software, and figure that if it's useful to me, it may be useful to someone else so why not give it away. But that doesn't mean that there's anything wrong when people do actually give someone money for something of value. Sometimes, it's a good thing to nuture what you want and need.

mickmca ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 8:06 AM

Keep in mind that if you needed it when you bought it, you paid for having it when you needed it. I've been miffed by this sort of thing, but for the most part, I write it off to fate. I often settle for the older, free version of a less crucial software tool (Cinema 4D, for instance). Should I be miffed if Poser 5 becomes free after I moved on to P6? There's a wealth of old P3 stuff out there being given away because nobody would ever buy it. But somebody did once. And, of course, there are the ludicrously overpriced relics buried on the shelves in Happy Valley, where a buck is a buck, and that's a personal promise.

DarthJ ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 11:48 AM

I had this this problem of already having bought the item with another artist , posted about it and as a result I could choose another item from this artists store for free. 

I can understand old outdated and / or replaced items being given away for (almost) nothing, they have lost their value, but suddenly giving away for free still " valid " items is bound to make some people unhappy. A better practice is to INTRODUCE a new article for free or at a very reduced price for a determined period ( DAZ March Madness ... ).

I am now 100 % happy with my free Bowery but some people are going to be 100% unhappy ...

DaQuestioner ( ) posted Sun, 16 April 2006 at 8:59 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only version of the "Elevated Subway" model  being offered for free is the low res version.  The high res version is still for sale.

Can anyone tell me what the difference between the two is?

NOTE:  The bowery and his other items are free tho.

Marque ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:31 AM

I have to admit that seeing items I have bought being given away has slowed me way down on my buying. I'm not as quick to buy something I would have grabbed without question before. So I have to thank the folks for doing this and saving me so much money.   8^)
Marque

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:41 AM · edited Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:42 AM

Well, I think I missed out on this because it was right around the time my laptop "blew up", so I think I was offline for a few days back then.  And if I did manage to download it, it's on the laptop's hard drive which is currently inaccessible.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.