Tue, Sep 24, 2:25 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: New Thumbnail Policy - Please read

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:24 AM · edited Tue, 24 September 2024 at 2:24 AM

http://www.renderosity.com/news.php?viewStory=13431 

Please take a few moments to read the information at the above Front Page article link regarding a new policy for thumbnails effective Wednesday, January 24th

Thank you

Giolon ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:28 AM

And the noose tightens just a little bit more...

If there isn't a huge firestorm over this, I'm going to be a little surprised.

How do you prep yourself for announcements like this one, Stacey?

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:37 AM

We spend a lot of time getting ready before announcing changes like this one:)

The FAQ/Help section has some Q&A's in it that we thought might come up.

We have been asked for a while from members about the nudity in the thumbnails.  
I'm hoping that everyone will understand its just a policy change on thumbnails, not the images...

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:38 AM

Not to fear... I've got three fully staffed waah-mbulances standing by, ready to cart off the casualties. :biggrin:

romanceworks ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 12:18 PM

As long as nude images are still allowed, I have no problem with the new thumbnail requirements. :o) Carol

mejed ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 2:44 PM · edited Mon, 22 January 2007 at 2:48 PM

Seems kind of  ........ to me, when all a member has to do is ck nudity, violence, or what ever needs to be ckd,  (enforce that), or in my case, set my prefrences to block the nude images and thumbnails, (its not like its a hard thing to do), instead of changing the rules, and causing an evern wider rift.  This is just another form of Censorship.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 2:50 PM

Its not about the Nudity on the full image mejed which as stated in the Front Page article and several times by me in the opinion posts.  The nudity in the thumbnails is so in your face and it excludes images from being highlighted in the newsletters, it keeps us from having the "Top" page that we first had when converting the galleries over to PHP. So many people liked that page but complained about all the nudity in the the thumbnails.   The nudity filter won't work for the objective of this change. 
We aren't changing the policy on image nudity, this is only about the thumbnails.

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 3:08 PM

*So many people liked that page but complained about all the nudity in the the thumbnails.

• yesss....it was the thumbnail of a lass. legs spread and taken from about where her feet were if I remember rightly... nice way to start the new system off that was ;)

I welcome the change. no more having to fight for picture hits with the latest set of tits, ass or worse.

*what does worry me tho is *

"In addition, we want to feature artists from the Art Charts in the weekly newsletter. However, since we don't allow nude thumbnails in our weekly newsletter, we can't do that until after we make this change.'

how does one opt out of this? I'm not interested in having my stuff posted in a newsletter.. sorry...

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 3:17 PM

Artists will be contacted if they are being considered for the newsletter and at that time you can decline.

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 3:18 PM

good, thanks :)

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 3:24 PM

You're welcome:)

Giolon ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:26 PM

I plan to handle this in the most responsible, mature way that I know how: post an image w/ a thumbnail full of naked boobies @ 23:59 RST (Rendo Server Time) on January 23rd.

j/k....or am I? :tt2:

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

zollster ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 4:29 PM

umm...i thought that we already couldn't show bare breasts in thumbnails.... and if i'm right then how are you goin to enforce this? cos i've seen plenty of thumbnails in the gallery with bare breasts in em

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:08 PM

This is a new policy on no nudity in the thumbnails. We have allowed nudity, ie bare breasts in thumbnails up until now.  We will not be going backward with this new policy as there are too many images in the gallery to be able to get this accomplished but going forward we will be enforcing this new policy:)

zollster ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:14 PM

ahhh...okies...must have misread somethin somewhere :D

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:18 PM

No problemo:)

DDevant ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:22 PM · edited Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:24 PM

What is the point of this thread? What is the point of the same topic on the front page. The rulers have made their decision on how this is going to work, so just do it, why try to pretend there is some posibility of democracy, Sorry if that sounds cynical but I think maybe it might be :)

Wish I could work out how to add smilies.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:28 PM

DDevant,

The point of this thread is to alert members in all ways possible about the new policy as everyone doesn't go onto the Front Page daily but might come in the forums. 

If members have questions or comments to make in this thread regarding this topic, they are certainly welcome to make them just as you have.

DDevant ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:30 PM

I just noticed something, I guess I can be a little slow, 
"We will not be going backward with this new policy as there are too many images in the gallery to be able to get this accomplished but going forward we will be enforcing this new policy"
So there will exist a dual system. Some nude Thumbnails will exist for some images but this will not be allowed for other similar images.
OK
Love the Dichotomy. Now this is real art.

DDevant ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:35 PM

yes we have, I suspect, questions or comments to make in this thread regarding this topic and I'm sure we are free and welcome to make them just as I and you have but the decision has been made so why bother to pretend that you are listening to our comments. Why not just announce it as a news item. It's unreal democracy. It's only pixel deep.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:36 PM

Images archive after 45 days so they won't be in the main gallery after that time but would be pulled up by the search for the galleries. With over 1 million images already uploaded to this site, it would be virtually impossible for us to go back through that many images especially before they all archive anyways.  

DDevant ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:44 PM

I don't think I will ever understand. :)
By the way US law on "exposure". It is gender specific. It only refers to men. Women cannot expose themselves. So under US law a women who runs down the street topless doesn't actually exist. Though I'm sure she wouldn't get very far.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 6:49 PM

Quote - I don't think I will ever understand. :)
By the way US law on "exposure". It is gender specific. It only refers to men. Women cannot expose themselves. So under US law a women who runs down the street topless doesn't actually exist. Though I'm sure she wouldn't get very far.

I don't think I will ever understand the above:( 

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:25 PM

click

whir

Any restrictive policy enacted by a private organization is not censorship.

An announcement made by a moderator in a public forum does not imply an invitation to debate, nor that the policies of a private organization are open for negotiation.

Renderosity is a private business, not a democracy or any other form of government.

whir

The preceding has been a recording. It will be repeated as often as necessary. Count on it.

click

DDevant ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:32 PM · edited Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:35 PM

"An announcement made by a moderator in a public forum does not imply an invitation to debate" That is true , however, why is the posibility of debate enabled if the invitation to debate is not desired?

CaptainJack1 ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 7:50 PM

Just 'cause I don't have a fence on my lawn doesn't mean I want every weirdo in the neighborhood to park there. 😄

I'm sure that debate (civil, of course) is useful to the system, and I don't think anyone from R'osity said they didn't want debate. It's also true, though, that just because debate is an option it doesn't mean we've been invited to be involved in their decision making process.

Personally, I like the fact that we can talk about it, especially when some people might get their danders up. But I love to hear myself talk. :lol:

Kinouk ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:42 PM · edited Mon, 22 January 2007 at 8:53 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/member.php

Ok I fixed all my thumbs in my gallery. It's a good thing that  I only had three pages and that I didn't do that many nudes![](http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/art/emoticons/lol.gif). Please check it out and let me know if I missed anything.

Wouldn't want to offend It just might be time to move on and this is so sad.** **

Lyne ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:14 PM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this new rule, as long as the artist DOES put the WORD TAG also, so people like me do not click something that looks like it might be interesting and then get a shock! :/

I am in a hurry so I will take time to read the article itself tomorrow...but just wanted to say thank you! I don't think doing this is a problem with or of censorship...I just think it allows the many folks like me who would rather not see offensive thumbs to have a better browsing experience!

Life Requires Assembly and we all know how THAT goes!

Khai ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:17 PM

love the protests..

ok put it this way.... do you complain when walking into a shop and the magazines on the top shelf do not have naked women and men right out on the covers?

no... they wear something.. and have the nudity inside.

Logic. Try it sometime. you may actually like it....

;)

hewee ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:08 PM

I think this is good. One thing it will do is if your at the site and your setting are to show nude, violence then they show up. But what if you have some come over and you want to show them something at your site here and it will show things based on your setting, It may be ok for that friend to see the nude, violence images but again they may not like it so the new change will also be nice because I know my mom and dad would not like seeing them.  So I could thumb try the images in the gallery and not worry about them seeing things in the thumbnails that would get to them.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:09 PM

Well i agree with the new changes to the thumbnails now how about some tighter changes to the galleries. I am not saying don't allow nudity in them but you could make it stricter on the types of images people post.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:27 PM

it's a drag the way "the clique" always brings their negativity here IMVHO. they should keep it where it belongs. :lol: big deal, no nude thumbnails. try to find something more worthy of your concerns. what's next? no b-t-k, or no pix of children of any kind? jeez, youse guys should get a life :lol: and yes, I happen to agree with any rules about kiddie pix, and any rules about b-t-k. :lol:

BarbieDahl ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 11:37 PM

Quote - I welcome the change. no more having to fight for picture hits with the latest set of tits, ass or worse.

I feel I should apologize if my "tits" and "ass" thumbnails are stealing the glory from other artist. But by your own words it sounds like you are saying people prefer to look at tits and ass images...but then, I can't image how so many people would be offended by these images, if that were so.

I thought the nudity and violence filters are here for people that would rather not view those images. And while I can understand the logic of this new policy, I can honestly say...if my tits and ass aren't welcome in the newsletter, it's not somewhere I would ever want to be...but that's just me.

kawecki ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:11 AM

It only remains the question:
What the Hell is NUDITY!!!!!?????

Stupidity also evolves!

KarenJ ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 6:08 AM

Miss Nancy, I have meant to ask this for sometime. What's "b-t-k"? Because I can only come up with "bums, tits, knobs", but I don't think that's right.

Site mail me if it's too outré, LOL

Kawecki:
"It only remains the question:
What the Hell is NUDITY!!!!!?????"

You'll find our definition in the Front page article.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 6:42 AM
Forum Moderator

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Actually this goes right along with 'The Bryster's 10 Commandments', one of which states:
Thou shall not display titties in a thumbnail - especially if the thumbnail does not lead to a picture with titties in it.......................

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

pearce ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 6:44 AM

Attached Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Rader

I wondered about that b-t-k thing myself.  Google suggests "blind torture kill".

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 8:31 AM · edited Tue, 23 January 2007 at 8:31 AM

*But by your own words it sounds like you are saying people prefer to look at tits and ass images...

*erm. yes.
next!

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 9:51 AM

You know, I like artistic nudes. shrug  I like erotica.  However, I cannot, for the life of me, think of how this makes the lives of the artists who create and post nudes here harder.  Well, I mean hard in the sense that having a brain tumor is hard.  Not hard as in "gee, I don't want to bend down to pull up my pants, so I'll just walk around with them 'round my ankles". 

There is only one thing that Renderosity is "Forcing" you to do.  That is drumroll please BE CREATIVE.  What a concept.  And on an art site no less!

Whinging like this is most of why I stepped down from staff.  If you people have nothing better to complain about, I really pity you.  

I like the option of being able to view nudity in the gallery.  I do NOT, however, like it thrust in my face.   I go through the galleries, sometimes with my son i the room, sometimes I show some really great stuff to my mother.  It's not my place to explain to either of them why artist A has a thumbnail of a shaved crotch or just two nipples sticking there.  What's artistic about that?  NOT ALL ART has to be a protest.  If it were, it would be a boring world, as far as art is concerned. 

So, by all means, create your nudes.  There are those of us who love a well-done nude.  Just don't shove titties, vagina, or cock in our faces as we go through the galleries to find something that doesn't need sensationalism to be brought to our attention.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 10:04 AM

Quote - So, by all means, create your nudes.  There are those of us who love a well-done nude.  Just don't shove titties, vagina, or cock in our faces as we go through the galleries to find something that doesn't need sensationalism to be brought to our attention.

touche, couldn't have said it better myself.

one artist i have always admired for his work is Boris Vallejo, now there is a person who can do some great artistic nudity.

I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them.

BarbieDahl ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:04 AM

Quote - So, by all means, create your nudes.  There are those of us who love a well-done nude.  Just don't shove titties, vagina, or cock in our faces as we go through the galleries to find something that doesn't need sensationalism to be brought to our attention.

If my picture represents “titties, vagina, or cock”, as JenX so eloquently put it…what should my thumbnail be? Butterflies and cotton candy? Imagine your surprise when you go to view that image.

If you don’t want nudity shoved in your face…turn your nudity filter on. That’s the big sign that says… “Warning, this image contains titties, vagina or cock, if that offends you, move along, there is nothing to see here.” This isn’t brain surgery…if you don’t want to see nudity…no one is forcing you to.

I can’t even begin to fathom why the Renderosity team would want to feature images in the newsletter, with “titties, vagina or cock” in them, as long as the thumbnail is of Victoria’s ears.

And I’m really thrilled that Khai will finally be getting all those hits he deserves, now that my tits and ass wont be stealing his thunder. See ya in the art charts hun.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:20 AM

The image doesn't have a face, neck or upper chest?  You can be creative with the thumb to represent your figure without showing the nude bits.  I see it everyday in the galleries. I've seen some extremely artistic thumbnails without any nudity and the full image has plenty of nudity.  Surely the image isn't just the breasts and genitals, there are other parts of the whole figure showing right?  If the image is tagged as nudity then that tells the person that when they click on it, there will be nudity so its not misrepresenting the full image to not show the nude bits in the thumbnail????

I will state again that there were several factors involved in making this change NOT just those that don't care for the t&a in your face thumbnails. And alot of those people DO want to see artistic nudity just not in your face thumbs because the artistic merit of your image surely isn't just the t&a??

zollster ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:34 AM

the teenage boys will be disappointed though...they will have to look at other pics b4 they find some with t&a in :D

BarbieDahl ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:35 AM

Stacey...I can only guess that you've never browsed my gallery. The artistic merit of most of my images is T & A...I could make a living off the gratuitous nakedness that runs rampant in my gallery (well, except for the fact that no one would buy that stuff).

It just seems like a flimsy excuse to say you don't want nude thumbnails in the newsletter. You said it yourself, you will ask permission from the artist, before featuring one of their images. How hard would it be to place a disclaimer, notifying people that any nude thumbnails will have to be changed before it qualifies?

You already have a filter available for people not wishing to see nudity...how much more hand holding do you need to do?

I live in a house with small children, that come in and out of my room all day...it's not difficult for me not to browse the gallery when they are near. I take responsibility for that...I don't whine to the staff to do that for me. I never felt it was their job.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:45 AM

But I'm sure your gallery does have faces, necks, shoulders, etc right?  Its not just images from the breasts to the genital area and that is it right?

The factors that went into deciding on this new policy are listed in the Front Page article.

BarbieDahl ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:48 AM

You might want to ask some of the men that view my gallery about faces, necks and shoulders. Bless their hearts.

StaceyG ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:50 AM

The men can still view the nudity in your images:) 

JenX ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 11:51 AM

Wow...I love how YOUR wants are worth way more than anyone else's.  Face it, it's not your right to post images here, it's a privelege.  Even Renderotica has rules.  Much stricter rules, I might add.  And, I've found some brilliant artists who post their erotica and/or nudes there as well.
I've said it a bajillion and 24 times before. If you want a no-holds-barred, no-rules gallery, buy your own hosting, and have your own.  Or, you can come in here, whining that your right to post whatever the hell you feel like it is being trampled on by "bad parents" (I know you didn't say it. That's what you were implying, no?"
I'm not going to turn on my filter because you can't turn on your brain.  My filter will remain as is, and, it seems, that your cranial-rectal impaction will go on undiagnosed.

Sitemail | Freestuff | Craftythings | Youtube|

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it into a fruit salad.

Khai ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:12 PM

*"And I’m really thrilled that Khai will finally be getting all those hits he deserves, now that my tits and ass wont be stealing his thunder. See ya in the art charts hun."

*Whatever. You quoted me, fine. I answered. leave it. I'm not interested in playing. go pick on someone that cares.

BarbieDahl ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:15 PM

Golly gee JenX…and here I thought it was your wants you were so worried about. Should I be concerned with them too? Or can I worry about me today?

Not once did I ask anyone to change their policies…but that doesn’t mean I have to like them. The greatest thing about being me is…I’m allowed my own opinion. I never implied that you are a bad parent (but hell, if the shoe fits). I simply said we are responsible for ourselves. If my son is watching South Park…it sure as hell isn’t Comedy Central’s problem…it’s mine (of course, my son is twenty years old now, and can watch what he wants).

I do own my own website, and I post whatever I want there. I haven’t whined about any “rights” I feel have been trampled. Did you bother to read a word I said…or is your head too far up your ass to comprehend what I thought was clearly my opinion?

Posting here may be a privilege, but then again, spending my money here would be my prerogative, now wouldn’t it?

I’m so very happy that you have Renderosity babysitting your child for you. But with a mother that says “titties, vagina or cock”…my tit thumbnail is really the least of his troubles.

Have a nice day,

BarbieDahl

CrazyDawg ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:24 PM · edited Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:25 PM

Barbie, i viewed your art, must say i am impressed with someof it and yes i will say it is artistic nudity. now with that said i can only think of two other words to say to you...........grow up.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.