Fri, Sep 20, 2:05 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Contest Announcements

Welcome to the Contest Announcements Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic, msansing Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Contest Announcements F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 20 1:44 am)

Subject: ***** Renderosity Holiday Contest 2006: Winners Announced! *****

cartesius ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 5:23 PM · edited Fri, 20 September 2024 at 2:01 AM

Renderosity Holiday Contest 2006

Yes, the long wait is finally over and we are proud to present to you the winning entries in the 6th Annual Renderosity Holiday Contest! We had 5 different categories for you to chose from and some $40,000 for you to win, spread out over everything from a complete Alienware computer to books and DVDs.

Winners
Below are listed the Grand Prize winner as well as the top 3 winners of each category. To view the complete list of winners, including Most Humorous, Honorable Mention and Runners up, please point your browser to the contest page for each category:

2D category
3D Category
Photography category
Animation Category
Short Story Category

Grand Prize**
** GRAND PRIZE WINNER** by Ravnheart

2D Winners
** 1st PLACE** by luohan

** 2nd PLACE** by JeffMD

** 3rd PLACE** by ICM

3D Winners
** 1st PLACE** by Jokermax 

** 2nd PLACE** by cheslav

** 3rd PLACE** by jonnte

Photography Winners
** 1st PLACE** by Armantine 

** 2nd PLACE** by DarekKocurek 

** 3rd PLACE** by dBgrafix 

Animation Winners
** 1st PLACE** by wlv 

** 2nd PLACE** by DinartFilho 

** 3rd PLACE** by XADMAX 

Short Story Winners
** 1st PLACE** by awayne2

** 2nd PLACE** by deemarie 

** 3rd PLACE** by xwriter 

Thank you!
We at Renderosity would like to thank our generous sponsors who really came through in a big way to make sure this contest was something extraordinary. We would also like to thank our members who entered the contest, for without you it wouldn't be any point in having these contests.

Thanks, and see you all for next Holiday Contest!

/Anders

Gallery | Store | dogday-design.se

gunsan ( ) posted Mon, 22 January 2007 at 10:01 PM

Congrats to the winners in all categories!!! :thumbupboth:

stoffel ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 12:22 AM

Congrats to all the winners ... very well deserved. Especially to the grand prize winner ... Santa's portrait is breathtaking.

Hypernaut ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 3:42 AM

Congrats to all the winners - all well deserved.
It was a real pleasure to judge so many good entries !!!

Renderosity Staff
2D Forum Moderator
Arts&Crafts Moderator

-:] Vision is nothing without skill - skill is nothing without vision ! [:-

-:] Regeln sind für Diejenigen, die es nicht besser wissen ! [:-

JeffMD ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 6:52 AM

thanks! i'm 2nd place in 2d! wohooo!

congratulations to the other winners too!

how do i get upon in claiming my prizes? havent got any emails from renderosity yet.....

i'm sorry... i'm just so excited!

thank you once more! more power!

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 10:00 AM

Yes congrats to all... I'll second Jeff's question re: claiming our prizes? 

I also wanted to thank all those who entered, and of course R'osity for this wonderful competition.

Christina -- "Love me but don't tell me so" Lilly Bart

My Art

RodsArt ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 4:20 PM

Congrats to all the other winners, Lots of fantastic entries! Kudos to Renderostiy & the Sponsors.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

Samanthie ( ) posted Tue, 23 January 2007 at 5:08 PM

Congratulations, it was a fun contest! :)

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 5:20 AM
Forum Moderator

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all who entered.  A big thank you also to the sponsors.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

Ravnheart ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:23 PM

Ok first I have to say thank you and I am blown away!
I would like to say a HUGE thank you to Renderosity and all of the very generous sponsors for this contest! You have gone out of your way for this contest.
Also congrats to all the other winners and  all that entered the contest. All the art submitted was wonderful.

Sincerely,
Gina aka Ravnheart

cartesius ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:54 PM

Update on delivery of prizes

First of all I'm sorry that this has taken so long but after I made the announcment this Monday I was floored by the flu and haven't been able to do any work at all for the last three days. I'm still a bit shaky and will probably not be up to speed for at least a couple of days.

Due to this things has been a bit delayed. Don't worry, we'll make sure everyone will get their prizes, it's just going to take a few days extra.

As soon as I can sit any longer period of time in front of the computer I will contact all the winners and inform them they have won. I will also contact all the sponsor and provide them with relevant contact information and they will in turn get in touch with the winners and arrange delivery.

Once again, I'm sorry about the delay.

/Anders

Gallery | Store | dogday-design.se

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:56 PM

Hey man... you just take it easy and get better.

I'm sure we can handle waiting a few more days.  The worst part was waiting on the results of the contest.

My Art

Ravnheart ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:42 PM

No worries, you take care of yourself first. I can wait a few more days. Your health is more important :)

Get well soon!
Gina

RodsArt ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 4:35 PM

No rush Anders, Hope you're feeling better soon.

___
Ockham's razor- It's that simple

MRC1 ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 5:38 PM

Congratulations to the winners. I had fun during this contest and look forward for the next Winter Holiday Contest this year.

lovelylady ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 6:26 AM

I hope you have a Speedy Recovery, Anders, and I have enjoyed seeing the results of the winning entries!!.........congrats to all the winners, and I wish everyone in the Community a Very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!!!.

Dillon5000

valtes ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 8:19 AM

Congratulations to all the winners!! They were all stunning and well deserved!

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 9:54 AM

Well this was an amazing contest and as I was so busy with 3D and Animation Judging I never really got a chance to check out the 2D area....wow that Grande Prize is indeed a winner, I'd have almost thought it was a Poser done by a real pro.....or a Photo, certainly wouldn't have guessed Photoshop Painting, truely a masterpiece. And all the other winners deserve a hearty congratulations as well...stellar work all around. Also kudos to all members for keeping 99.9% of the entries I viewed very tasteful and in the 'spirit ' of the holidays.....Looking forward to the next compy.....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Soniclight ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 2:59 PM

To Fellow Artists Who Entered and to Staff:

First...

I didn't know there was this board until I got the last newsletter so I could also say "Congrats to All!" to my fellow entry artists -- winners or not.  If you're like me, I learned stuff just daring to enter.  Some funny, good-hearted works.

Second...

Ditto on take-it-easy-Anders sentiment.  Health first, art goodies second.

Third...

I contacted Lillian with a couple of questions right after the prize announcements (she was so helpful to me in my somewhat crazy last minute decision to enter the Animation section) -- but maybe it belongs here, so it closes this post.

As stated therein, I won the Honorable Mention in Animation and while small*...

I want to let the prize to go to a runner-up.  Logically, roriel is the one following me.  But if roriel has no use for it, another runner-up can contact me once we know what the process of prize delivery is.

*The second question in that email may or may not also be on the minds of any other artists who entered the contest.

Last, but not least...

Thanks to Renderosity for the Contest and even considering my somewhat different, frankly a tad uber-serious entry.

Doing the contest made me realize that my style of work probably belongs more in a NLE or film community. It doesn't fit in that well with Renderosity since so many of you do 3D and figure animations.

But I sure worked hard on it and it did parallel the same good-hearted themes of other fellow artists who entered the contest.

OK, nuf scribblin'.  Below are the two questions mentioned.

(Email text sent to Lillian)

I'm writing you because you've been very helpful, and you are the Marketing head person, too. 

A) Prize

As subject line states,I didn't hit the jackpot but I didn't do too bad (Honorable Mention)!  Not bad for a firstie.  I simply have no use for the AutoDesk course prize since I don't have Maya or any 3D programs.

I'd rather have the runner up directly after me (roriel) or other the runners up have it if it would be of use to them.

I don't know how you do give out the prizes, i.e. online coupon codes, etc.  Maybe I could just contact roriel or whomever after I get it and give it to them.  But I wish to stay within the rules and stipulations of how you do this too.

Hopefully this can be done one way or another, for why have a good prize go to waste, right?

B) Entry Use Policy

Since the contest is over and I am not among the top tier, where do we stand on my use of the entry at my own discretion?  I.e. if I wanted to YouTube it -- aye or nay? 

I'll probably do some further editing on it at some point that I didn't have time to do by the deadline.  Hey, it's my baby, after all - lol, but need to know your policies before spending any time on in the near future.

Let me know at your convenience.  No rush -- but figured I should address the prize issue as soon as possible.

Take care,

Philip Steven Knight
CompassionSensuality.Net
http://www.compassionsensuality.net

"The power of kindness is immense.  It is nothing less, really, then the power to change the world. " ~ Daphne Rose Kingma

Holiday 2006 Animation entry page: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/contest/index.php?entry_id=23613

Tammy ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 4:56 PM

Congratulations to all the winners there were some really great entries. Thanks to Renderosity and the judges and contest coordinators for the time and effort they put into this also.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 6:47 PM

@Soniclight
As near as I recall. off the top of my head as it were, after the contesty closes you can post your entry, winner or not, anywhere you like. Here's the quote from the rules page

Entries must not appear online anywhere else during the contest or until the Contest Winners have been Posted 

and they've been posted so go for it

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

JeffMD ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 8:06 PM

thanks for the reply, anders! get well soon!

again thanks to renderosity and congratulations to all the winners!

cheers!

Soniclight ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 8:59 PM

BobbyStahr,

Thanks for reply and info.  At least now I know, though I'm busy working on my short film project, so will tweak and improve the entry in due time.

On an aside...

I just noticed your signature included "pax et lux" -- which happens to be pretty much what my somewhat outside-the-box entry was about.   But your use of those three words have me have to ask:

....You didn't happen to endure a few years of Catholic school as a kid whereby you were forced to study Latin, did you? * (Seven torturous years in my case by Benedictine monk-men in black - lol)

That said, it comes in handy to get a sense of the meaning of words in several languages sometimes without having to look them up.  So not totally a loss.

(Reply to Latin Q is optional, I'm just being silly here,  The real point was the thanks for the info.)

bobbystahr ( ) posted Thu, 25 January 2007 at 10:07 PM

@Soniclight
Nah....just a fairly literate old hippie...heh heh heh, and your most welcome...please don't be timid about your style of animation, it's all 2D when it comes down to it...LOL, and in fact there was a fair bit of 2D in the Animation section and all quite good as well.Benedictine you say....they didn't by chance, teach you how to make their signature brandy did they? heh heh heh.. ...

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Soniclight ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 12:44 AM

**Bobby Stahr,

**No, not ashamed or timid of my style, it's part of who I am artistically and otherwise.  It just ain't the kind of stuff the majority of others do around here. 

That said, it was my first ever contest entry since I started to explore and gain skills in non-stills/photo-art visual work back in 2003.  So in that sense, it's been a new experience.

Re: Benedictine Monk Men-in-Black

Nah, they didn't teach me that. 

But since this was in Switzerland, I did hear rumors of a couple of them getting pretty tipsy on occasion on Alpine wine and fondue or "raclette" (a variation) while we boys were fast asleep in our dorms upstairs (or so they thought :)l

(And in case "Catholic priests" and "boys" brings up the obvious for you or any reader of this post: No, these men-in-black were way too Swiss and über-conservative for that.)

But 'nuf of this. 

While groovy (I'm 52, so borderline ex-hippie  in my own way), we're getting way off-topic here, man.   But I started it, so hey--mea freakin' culpa - lol.

NRN.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 8:23 AM

heh heh heh

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Soniclight ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 2:38 PM

Legitimate (on-topic) Q:

--- Can one refer someone who is not a member of Renderosity to one's entry page and/or this page with list of entries winners -- without them having to sign up?

The main reason for this question is:

I promised the company that provided me with the software to pull of the effects (Wondertouch that makes Particleillusion) to view my entry if it were to win anything.  Since it did, hey, I got a valid excuse :)

But I don't want to send a URL that won't work without hassles for them.

If not, that's OK for I have a copy of it in a secure directory at my own website, but it would be more "official" if they could swing by here.

Thanks.

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 6:30 PM

I think it's quite likely that alan lorenc[PI's creator] is a member here, or wouldn't mind signing up, and wouldn't have trouble viewing your work. I'd say send him a link. PI is originally a product of Impulse Software, the company , now defunct, that made Imagine3D, the main tool in my 3D toolbox. I think it was when PI left Impulse was when I knew my beloved first software was gonna become abandonware...sigh

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

Soniclight ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 7:07 PM

Actually, it is Alan with whom I've been in contact -- but I didn't want to sound oh-so-important by mentioning that I know him.  Well, I've just busted myself - lol.

He's been very nice to me and in return I've been dropping the PI name here and there, as well as suggesting hat he should promote PI at Renderosity -- if Lillian and co. would be into it and some win-win deal can be struck.  On his side, he said he may consider it.

For someone like me who isn't a 3D animator yet who needs to create sfx for my short film project, PI is really turning into a miracle-machine.  A lot of work, but worth it. 

My contest entry has but a few, scratch-the-surface and rather simple "still in learning curve phase" examples of that.   I've got a ways to go before I master the full potential of PI.

As to my file, I'll act on your suggestion:

--- Send him both options in case he is still somewhere in the Renderosity member database -- link to here and to my own media clips page (which he's seen but that was months ago and  it has since been security coded).

bobbystahr ( ) posted Fri, 26 January 2007 at 7:53 PM

You're very right about Alan being a very nice guy. Also brilliant as a programmer/coder. PI is almost the most used inexpensive software on the market and sad to say is quite overused in some commercials up here in canada. I've never had but the demo as I moved from animation frenzy to more of a modeller and landscape afficinado over the last few years but it is on my wish list of programs to have and learn. I think PI would be a lovely prize in a future contest, should he consider getting onboard like that and would be a more than valuable addition to the software section of the MarketPlace here.

I see a sound
and try to write it down
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

HHDrache ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 7:12 AM

congratulation to all winner

LillianH ( ) posted Thu, 01 February 2007 at 10:20 PM

Hi Philip,

I'll see what we can do about an alternative book from Thomson for you.

Also you wrote...if Lillian and co. would be into it and some win-win deal can be struck.  On his side, he said he may consider it...

We're all about creating win-win situations. Please feel free to pass along my name and contact info. I would love to hear from him.

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager
By serving each other, we are free.

Soniclight ( ) posted Fri, 02 February 2007 at 2:01 AM · edited Fri, 02 February 2007 at 2:07 AM

Hi Lillian,

OK, keep me posted on the book swap.

As to Alan, he very recently re-stated to me that Renderosity is something he's going to consider. But he wears many hats: CEO, head developer, support, etc.  Otherwise put, I'll tell him to contact you, but I have to give him some space.

Hasta la whenever next time.  NRN.

---- For those who've followed this thread and are interested int Particleillusion, go to the Wondertouch site (Flash required): http://www.wondertouch.com/

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Tue, 13 February 2007 at 5:14 PM

I'm still waiting to here from one of the prize sponsers.  I've heard from one and replied but I'm still waiting for a response from him as well.  Any help?

My Art

Soniclight ( ) posted Tue, 13 February 2007 at 7:58 PM

Since it was brought up, ditto.  I haven't heard from anyone(except Lillian in post above). My situation involves said prize exchange, but it has been 45 days since this contest closed...

No biggie, just curious.

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 9:18 AM

Hi everybody,

Our sincere apologies for any delays in prize delivery. Anders was very sick and then had to step down because of important family matters.

I have contacted all the sponsors and instructed them to make arrangements for prize delivery. However, some may need a reminder.

One problem we are running into is contacting members that have invalid email accounts listed in their member profiles. If everyone would please make sure they have working email accounts...that they check...that would be really helpful.

To enigmaticredfrog: I have already heard from both Digital-Tutors and Photoshop Cafe that they have sent emails to all the prize winners and were waiting for reply. However, I'll be happy to let them know you are still waiting.

To Soniclight: I contacted Thomson publishing with your email information and to contact you regarding a possible alternative book selection. I will send them another email to please contact you via email.

Again...everyone...PLEASE make sure the email you have in your member record is valid and that you are checking it regularly.

If anyone else has questions regarding prizes, please contact me via sitemail or email.

Thanks,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

Soniclight ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 9:50 AM

Thanks, Lillian.  Since I got the notice to come view your response, my email address is valid.  But if Thompson has any difficulty contacting me, they can use one of my non-personal/general purpose email addresses: netcorrespondent at yahoo dot com.

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 9:57 AM

I haven't heard from Digital-Tutors yet and I've been checking box my inbox and spam to be sure.

I have heard from photoshop cafe and it's been taken care with them. 

Thanks Lillian.

C

My Art

LillianH ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I'll follow up with photoshop cafe today ;-)

Best wishes,
Lillian

Lillian Hawkins
Marketing Manager

enigmaticredfrog ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 12:39 PM

Thanks!

My Art

Soniclight ( ) posted Wed, 14 February 2007 at 2:15 PM

Liilian: Thompson just sent me an email to send me the desired book.  Thanks :)
NRN.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.