Tue, Sep 24, 4:11 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Community Center

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 23 7:15 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: New Thumbnail Policy - Please read

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 10:56 AM

Cinnamon:
So what words are suggestive as I will make a list and keep it by my computer?

It isn't possible to create an exhaustative list, but here are some examples:
"Hot sex action!"
"Nude boobies!"
"Hot nekkid chicks!"
"Nudity inside!"
"Click me for tits"
(these are all real-life examples which we've removed)

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

darth_poserus ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:01 AM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:07 AM

Stacey,   

Are you aware that the article on the front page states flat out:

**"**Many Renderosity members have expressed to us that while they admire artistic nudity, they really don't like it when it's so "In Your Face" in the thumbnail. "

I mean, perhaps if the article didn't say that the fact some members griped was a factor,  some of us wouldn't have been angered that the site is cow towing to a few who refuse to use filters, and trampling on the rights and artistic freedom of others to do it. This also might be why, you've repeated yourself a hundred times too.

The article in full:

Thumbnails...They Are a Changing 

Staff
Wow, we made it to 2007! A brand new start, to a brand new year. Time to move forward with the goals that we would like to achieve collectively as an artist community.

One of our goals is to promote artists and show the world the wonderfully creative art work that is expressed through digital mediums. Another goal is to have consistency of the rules and presentation across all areas of our site: Galleries, Free Stuff, Tutorials, Blogs, Homepages and the MarketPlace.

In order to reach both these goals, we need to change the way thumbnail images appear to match the rules in the MarketPlace and the weekly newsletter. Thumbnail images across Renderosity will no longer contain nudity or graphic violence going forward.

Artistic nudity and violent images may still be uploaded to the galleries, and will still be marked with the appropriate content advisory warnings. The only thing that will change is what can be displayed in the thumbnail image.

Many Renderosity members have expressed to us that while they admire artistic nudity, they really don't like it when it's so "In Your Face" in the thumbnail.

In addition, we want to feature artists from the Art Charts in the weekly newsletter. However, since we don't allow nude thumbnails in our weekly newsletter, we can't do that until after we make this change.

Starting January 24th, if an image is marked with the nudity or violence flags, the artist will need to upload their own thumbnail.

If you fail to upload a thumb, our system automatically generates a thumb for you, which is a miniature of your entire image. If your image contains nudity or violence, you must not use this feature. You must upload your own thumbnail which excludes the nudity/violence.

Going forward, thumbnail images for all areas of the site may not display nude female breasts, male or female genitals or buttocks, or graphically violent images. Please see below for the rule of thumb guidelines.

No nudity. This implies no clothes, clothes that are transparent or blurring of nude images.

Tasteful breast exposure. No areola or nipple exposure, and no transparent fabric.

No exposed buttocks – more exposure than a standard bikini bottom would constitute nudity.

No exposed male or female genitals

No Sexually Suggestive Language or "Censored" language/images

Members that have their profiles set to not view nudity are still going to see the 'Content Advisory' default image if the Nudity or Violence flags are set. This change will only be visible to members that have their profiles set to view nudity. Going forward all thumbnails across the entire Renderosity site will be suitable for all ages. This change does not affect images uploaded prior to January 24th.

Once this thumbnail change is in effect, in addition to featuring artists in the newsletter, we will be able to bring back the Top Ranking page of the Art Charts!

We trust you will understand and support the goals that we have as an art site and a community. We work very hard to make this the best place on the Internet to display your work and interact with other artists.

Printer-friendly format 

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:09 AM

I SAID it was ONE factor not the ONLY FACTOR. That was my point Darth. I didn't say it wasn't a consideration but it WASN'T the ONLY ONE

*One of our goals is to promote artists and show the world the wonderfully creative art work that is expressed through digital mediums. Another goal is to have consistency of the rules and presentation across all areas of our site: Galleries, Free Stuff, Tutorials, Blogs, Homepages and the MarketPlace. 

**In order to reach both these goals, we need to change the way thumbnail images appear to match the rules in the MarketPlace and the weekly newsletter. Thumbnail images across Renderosity will no longer contain nudity or graphic violence going forward

*In addition, we want to feature artists from the Art Charts in the weekly newsletter. However, since we don't allow nude thumbnails in our weekly newsletter, we can't do that until after we make this change. 

*The point was it was not listed as the ONLY reason and I have stated that numerous times

Cinnamon369 ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:12 AM

Perhaps you should issue another FP article and include the new addition to the rules about the suggestive language bit that has been added as if I had not read the forum(and usually I do not) I would not have known.
As by the original article I was under the impression that it was the visual aspect that so many seemed contrary to. And nothing what so ever had stated the title was included and seems added on afterwards.

"Cinnamon:
So what words are suggestive as I will make a list and keep it by my computer?

It isn't possible to create an exhaustative list, but here are some examples:
"Hot sex action!"
"Nude boobies!"
"Hot nekkid chicks!"
"Nudity inside!"
"Click me for tits"
(these are all real-life examples which we've removed)"

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:14 AM

We didn't change the guidelines to the titles? Not sure where you are getting that?

The suggestive language line is for the new THUMBNAIL policy. The same rules are in place for the image itself that has been in place??? 

Cinnamon369 ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:21 AM

Sorry re-read the tos and see your point. However, on the list of examples privided I found nothing extream. Such is life, so many points of view and all different and all valid in their own way.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:31 AM

file_366709.jpg

**Is this OK? A_**

Is there water in your future or is it being shipped away to be resold to you?
Water, the ultimate weapon...

www.futurefantasydesign.com

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 11:40 AM

No

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:03 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:05 PM

So what you're saying, StaceyG, is that the suggestive language restriction applies only to the thumbnail itself?  So someone can't make a thumbnail saying "OMG hot nakedness inside!" but they could title the image that way?

Finally, I'm still waiting for a official verdict on my thumbnail:

Tasteful breast exposure or tasteless?  Banned booty?

Also, what's wrong w/ DGD's example thumbnail?  Do you consider that sexually suggestive?

¤~Giolon~¤

¤~ RadiantCG ~¤~ My Renderosity Gallery ~¤

DDevant ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:16 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:19 PM

file_366711.jpg

***I like that, DesertGoddessDesigns, Is there a larger version? Can I suggest the above thumbnail for the larger version***

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:26 PM

The whole sentence includes "Censored" language/images and that is what I consider that thumb, not the sexually suggestive lang as much as the last part of the sentence.  

And no you can't title the image "OMG hot neckidness inside" Karen gave some examples above and this would be basically the same as the example she gave of "nudity inside"  We have not allowed these types of titles on images for as long as I can remember, that hasn't changed.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:28 PM

Oh and I'm getting a team consenus on your thumbs above. My opinion is that due to the example image on the FP article and the wording about the "standard bikini" it would not be allowed.. But let me get with the team before giving you a firm decision

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:29 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:32 PM

Still trying one more time...the thumbnail I've posted twice, would it be allowed after the deadline, yes or no (and please why)?  I'm not looking to have an argument over it, I just want the answer clarified. :closedeyes:

Which lends to the point, what is tasteful breast exposure?  Is it exactly the areas depicted as uncovered in the illustration?  That example model has like no cleavage to begin with, but from the looks of it, it seems it's off limits.

¤~Giolon~¤

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:33 PM

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:34 PM

Definitely not the bottom but the top has tasteful breast exposure so we are good with that:)

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:41 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:41 PM

file_366715.jpg

Well How about this one.  And a point...since either the Nudity button doesn`t work all the time, or someone forgets to use it, how is stating that the image contains Nudity a suggestive Lang.?? 

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:41 PM

Nice can of worms this.

Mock ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:55 PM

All debate aside from the beginning of this site till now there has been gradual but massive change what, may I ask, is going to be the end of it?

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:56 PM

A thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image
you've posted. We aren't going to allow suggestive or "censored" words,
blots or blurs."

Please read the WHOLE sentence about the sexually suggestive language or "Censored" language/images

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 12:58 PM

Mock,

I can't really answer that as things can never stay exactly the same in anything whether it be in life or on a website.  If you can be more specific as to exactly what you are referring to, I might can answer more in depth

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:04 PM

How can a thumbnail accurately represent our images when your telling us what we can and cannot show, and can and cannot say...???  

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:06 PM

Well seems since there are many artists who on a daily basis before we had this new policy were able to make a thumbnail representative of the full image without nudity or censored wording on an image that contains nudity, I wouldn't think it would be that difficult:)

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:08 PM

So, wait, I find this amusing.  Under the terms for thumbnails, uploading one that merely says "Content Advisory Warning!" would be disallowed, because it is "censored" language, but yet, that is exactly the thumbnail that Renderosity displays to people who have the nudity/violence filters turned on...

¤~Giolon~¤

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:15 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:17 PM

The word "Censored", does not, and never will sit with me.  
Not to be a Smart A...here, but  when you check Nudity, and Violence, when youre  uploading your image, isnt this a violation of the New TOS??? Both are on the Censored Language List. 

Mock ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:16 PM

Translation

"We are going to allow nudity how ever you are not allowed to allude to that nudity in any way shape or form in your thumbnail" "till such time as we can eliminate nudity and violence all together and fashion our website into a respectable art community"

(and consequently slash your customer base by 90%)

My view is from an economic standpoint a little TnA goes a long way just look at the Magazine racks not that many successful art mags with pics of flowers and fruit on them.

Of corse I’m being over dramatic Renderosity, just like movie and gaming companies, is looking for the perfect PG13 point.

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 1:25 PM

For the members that CHOOSE to filter ALL nudity, YES that is the icon they get that is system generated. BUT for the over 90% that want to see artistic nudity and have their filters OFF, we are not accepting censored type language/wording.   

The thumbnail should be an accurate representation of the image
blots or blurs."

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:09 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:10 PM

file_366727.jpg

karen1573 pull my image "...."  because she said the thumbnail contained Nudity and Violence. in contained neither, nor does it contain any Censored Language.  I was trying to make a point, but in a clean, and non offensive way.  Do we not have the right to state our opinion? 

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:14 PM

blots or blurs.

"you are terrifying

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:26 PM

What suggestive or Censorded words did I use?????????  I`m am merely making a statement, nothing more, nothing less. 

DDevant ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:30 PM

"We aren't going to allow suggestive or "censored" words,
blots or blurs." 
OK I understand that bit. 
"The thumbnail should be an accurate representation of the image
you've posted."
OK I, also, understand that bit.
So you are not allowed to use the content of the picture if it is a nude figure. Because a true thunbnail should be simply a small version of the main picture. But that isn't allowed. OK And I'm not allowed to do a thumbnail that has any blots, blurs, smudges or any other form of action painting oh and no words that may be considered suggestive or rude or naughty OK. 
Thank god I don't do nude photography.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 2:54 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:03 PM

Stacy this is utter Crp! You are saying now that the WORD Nudity is banned????
Honestly this just proves me right when I said it will get worse from here....
Censored WORDS! NUDITY??? Just how do you propose to warn people if the WORD is BANNED!? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the word nudity! Using the word Nudity to warn what the content is, Is NOT Suggestive! It is informative! I want Clint to hand down a ruling on the use of that as a Censored word. It is not being used to be salacious! It is to warn the masses that there may be an unclothed person/thing inside. Is this now policy on the site to squash the use of any language that even remotely suggests SEX! Why not just ban nudity altogether!? Soon we all be back to sleeping with a board between us all! This is way out of line. And I think Renderosity has gone too far with that.
Ariana

StaceyG ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:04 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by Clint handing down a ruling? I'm the Community Manager and Clint is a Marketplace Manager and although we work together as an admin team, he wouldn't be "handing down rulings" for the galleries?   But just to help you  understand,  this policy is taken (for consistencies sake) FROM the marketplace. They do not allow this in their thumbs either....The entire admin team (including Clint) came to this decision that we will not be allowing these types of thumbs just as the Marketplace hasn't been for over a year now.

The word nudity is not SUGGESTIVE, no one said that, please read the ENTIRE sentence

"No Sexually Suggestive Language or "Censored" language/images"

And to this question  "Just how do you propose to warn people if the WORD is BANNED!? "  That is what the nudity flag is for........

I'll say again

blots or blurs.

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:04 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:07 PM

Oh and another thing  "Your image "...." uploaded to the Poser gallery contains censored nudity in the thumbnail."    This was the sole reason I was given for having my image pulled. ( I made a copy of the IM that I received.) 

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:07 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:08 PM

Ok, what if the entire image is a big picture of the word "CENSORED!"?  What should we use as the thumbnail? :lol: (Somebody has to ask the ridiculous questions.)

(And if you don't want to deal in the realm of "what ifs" I'll happily use my one gallery post for the day to make it an actual situation)

¤~Giolon~¤

lemur01 ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:12 PM

Okay, I think I understand it now.

I think we all realise by now that Renderosity is all about making money (I think the 2005/2006 turnover was something in the region of 3 million dollars). The galleries are a big draw to, not only other artists, but visitors to the site… they get to see what can be done with the software used and the products on offer in the marketplace.

Now then, Renderosity (for whatever reason… probably something to do with the credit card companies) wants to remove nudity from the thumbnails, but they still want people to browse the adverts… sorry pictures in the galleries. Having black bars, ‘censored’ signs and blurred areas will detract from the look of the thumbnails pages and probably put punters off looking at the pictures. Soooooooo it is decreed that nudity in the thumbs is banned, but artists must still provide an attractive thumb to draw potential customers in.

… Or am I just being cynical?

Poppi ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:20 PM

"No Sexually Suggestive Language or "Censored" language/images"

Not hard, folks.  There was an image titled "See Vicki's dirty pussy", a few years back.  To this day I still find that title offensive.  I would think something along those lines....and, yes, it was a pic of a cat.

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:21 PM

Stacy I want you to tell me what is wrong with the thumb I created and posted...besides NO. I made a thumbnail that does warn and tell that the content may be inappropriate to some people...it has no suggestive language at all...So you tell me what is the problem with it??? I will then fix it and repost it. But I want CLEAR answers and a real explaination of what is wrong with it, when Giolon can have massive clevage ok'd? How is mine MORE OFFENSIVE? I'm not yelling as much as getting really sick of this ridiculus nightmare of puritanical ethics being forced down my throat.
Thank You
Ariana

Giolon ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:24 PM

It's not theoretical anymore:

What happens now?

¤~Giolon~¤

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:26 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:32 PM

Post a complet list of "BANNED" and  SUGGESTIVE words, blubs, bots, smuges and such so that we know what the h.ll you talking about!!  

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:26 PM

BTW..Giolon, I have no problem with your images...it was a great comparison, not a knock!
Love and HuggerZ!
Ariana

dlblue ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:28 PM · edited Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:33 PM

Quote - Post a complet list of "BANNED" and  SUGGESTIVE work, blubs, bots, smuges and such so that we know what the h.ll you talking about!!  

I second that motion. Where will it end?
DGD'S thumbnail was funny as well as tasteful. I see absolutly NOTHING suggestive OR censored about it!
I'm going to use nothing but second skins from now on.  It's rediculus how things are getting out of hqnd. i spend money I can't even afford to spend on here because of the vendors who make the fantastic second skins. i am also a vendor myself. Will you start telling people that we have to remove all traces of nipples now? Are we not going to be allowed to post women at all now> Will we never even to be able to SAY the word NUDE anymore? I see this as getting bigger instead of slowing down>< 2 days ago it was jus tno nudity in thumbnails, NOW you can't have certain language.

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:34 PM

Ariana:
Stacy I want you to tell me what is wrong with the thumb I created and posted...besides NO. I made a thumbnail that does warn and tell that the content may be inappropriate to some people...it has no suggestive language at all...So you tell me what is the problem with it??? I will then fix it and repost it. But I want CLEAR answers and a real explaination of what is wrong with it, when Giolon can have massive clevage ok'd? How is mine MORE OFFENSIVE? I'm not yelling as much as getting really sick of this ridiculus nightmare of puritanical ethics being forced down my throat.
Thank You
Ariana

No sexually suggestive language or "censored" images/language. We have already told you that a thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image you've posted. We aren't going to allow "censored" words, blots or blurs.
mejed and dlblue:
***Post a complet list of "BANNED" and  SUGGESTIVE work, blubs, bots, smuges and such so that we know what the h.ll you talking about!! *

It isn't possible to create an exhaustative list. We have already told you that a thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image you've posted.

"you are terrifying

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:34 PM

dlblue:

Will you start telling people that we have to remove all traces of nipples now? Are we not going to be allowed to post women at all now> Will we never even to be able to SAY the word NUDE anymore?*

No.

"you are terrifying

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:39 PM

To karen1573 this is not the reason you gave me for pulling my image it was "Your image "...." uploaded to the Poser gallery contains censored nudity in the thumbnail.  Therefore I have pulled it until you can supply with a new thumbnail that conforms to the guidlines." Where in the my thumbnail is "censored nudity."  I feel that you have insulted me, and the entire Renderosity community by you actions. 

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:39 PM

Well Giolon, your thumbnail is an accurate representation of your image, and you've placed it in the correct gallery, so I won't be removing it. Congratulations, I hope your achievement gives you a warm glow ;-)

"you are terrifying

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:40 PM

mejed:
A thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image you've posted. We aren't going to allow "censored" words, blots or blurs.

I feel that you have insulted me, and the entire Renderosity community by you actions.

Can you explain how?

"you are terrifying

dlblue ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:47 PM

file_366736.jpg

Since I almost ALWAYS use the female body as the basis of my images and rarely have the time to make a new thumbnail for each one. I have made a universal thumbnail for my art.

mejed ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:53 PM

You said it was pulled for "censored nudity" in the thumbnail, now you telling a completly different story....wouldn`t you be insulted if somone did the same to you?????

FutureFantasyDesign ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:58 PM

file_366737.jpg

**OK....Let's just pretend I am absolutely dumb as dirt....I want this context explained in laymans terms.  WHY it does not meet these new standards. Are you saying that you want a brand new thumbnail made for every single gallery submission we post from here on out? Are you saying we cannot warn people of the content? Are you telling me that MY Generic thumb is not ok because of any of the afforementioned reasons?**

"No sexually suggestive language or "censored" images/language. We have already told you that a thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image you've posted. We aren't going to allow "censored" words, blots or blurs"

*This (Your Rule, see above)  is NOT CLEAR TO ME! Please explain it so that I can understand what you want! NO MATER HOW MANY TIMES YOU KEEP POSTING IT
.....IT IS NOT CLEAR!

Tell me what is wrong with my thumbnail. WHY is it not OK. You are talking in big circles that are going nowhere, and I know that I am not the only one who has this question, or that wants a CLEAR definition! Tell me what is necessary to make this thumb acceptable, because I do not make thumbs for every work I post. BTW, I pulled my Gallery out and won't be able to repost until I know the answer to this. Please make it exceedingly clear to my dense brain, what is it that Ren' demands for a warning of content? I want to have 1 Thumb to use on all my postings...I don't want to do double art. I see no reason why I cannot use 1 thumb for all. If I can't tell me why that is a problem.
Ariana

KarenJ ( ) posted Wed, 24 January 2007 at 3:59 PM

Hi mejed,

I'm very sorry that I misplaced a word in my site mail to you. to answer your question "wouldn`t you be insulted if somone did the same to you?????", no, I wouldn't.

dlblue,

Since I almost ALWAYS use the female body as the basis of my images and rarely have the time to make a new thumbnail for each one...

I don't understand why all your gallery images have a different thumbnail if you rarely have time to make a new thumbnail for each. Regardless, your thumbnail is not acceptable, since a thumbnail is supposed to be an accurate representation of the image you've posted. We aren't going to allow "censored" words, blots or blurs.

"you are terrifying

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.