Sat, Oct 5, 6:14 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 5:47 am)

Subject: Windows Vista and Poser

Circumvent ( ) posted Mon, 29 January 2007 at 11:23 PM · edited Tue, 10 September 2024 at 10:32 AM

Well Vista is suppose to be released on Wednesday the 30th but I'm curious how well it works with Poser.  Does anyone have first hand knowledge about how it works with Poser and what kind of issues it has?  Thanks.
Adrian

corvas ( ) posted Mon, 29 January 2007 at 11:33 PM

sorry this is kind of changing your question but wat exactally is windows vista like wat does it do or watever

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 29 January 2007 at 11:35 PM

from what I heard, vista is a copy of mac os 10.2 and 10.3, but to get all the features, ya gotta spend $400 u.s.

mylemonblue ( ) posted Mon, 29 January 2007 at 11:39 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2678313

I found this thread very helpful.

My brain is just a toy box filled with weird things

SAMS3D ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 4:06 AM

I will be testing Vista with Poser today at work.  I have been testing Vista for about a month, we got an early release.....I do not know, but I bet poser will have a driver issue, that is about all I see with it now lots of driver issues.  Well see today.  Sharen

AnAardvark ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 7:54 AM

Quote - from what I heard, vista is a copy of mac os 10.2 and 10.3, but to get all the features, ya gotta spend $400 u.s.

You heard wrong. Vista is based on Windows NT/XP, but with a lot of revisions to the core Operating System. There are also a lot of bells and whistles in the User Interface, and an ill-considered emphasis on Digital Rights Management. Mac OS 10 is based on Mach which is in turn based on Unix.

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 10:55 AM

I've heard that the Virtual Memory management of Vista, compared to XP, is more along the infinite side of things!

Of hand I think there are about 6 version of Vista, that ranged from $129.99 to $400, for a pre-release, at directron.com.

Stegy ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 2:32 PM · edited Tue, 30 January 2007 at 2:36 PM

I've got Poser 7 loading as I type this on a Vista test machine (at work).  So far, I'm annoyed by the constant "Are you sure you want to..." pop-up messages.

The version that I'm testing is Vista business.  I also plan to load Photoshop CS2, Paint Shop Pro 9, Hexagon, and Carrara 5. 

Circumvent ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 3:21 PM

Keep me posted because I want to buy Vista but I don't want the headaches.  Thanks.
Adrian

Stegy ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 3:43 PM

Here's the first issue I found (only been evaluating for about 10 minutes now):

Under Render Settings and then Preview, I get a "Hardware Shading Not Supported Message" 
This is not an issue on an almost identical system running WinXP SP2.

Rendering time seems to be about the same on a simple 1 figure, 3 light setup.

System:  Asus P4C800E Deluxe Mobo
3.0 GHz P4
nVidia GeForce FX 5900 Ultra Video Card
2 Gig Ram.

Robo2010 ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 4:25 PM · edited Tue, 30 January 2007 at 4:31 PM

Attached Link: WireLess Range N Router

I have purchased Vista "Home Premium" for $170.00. After purchase I was given a product "Range Booster N Router" (wireless) (link shows product). I didn't install Vista yet. Kinda nervous, but I do own a copy of my own, and I couldn't resist these freebies that come with windows everytime MS has a new OS on the shelf. Will wait a week and also monitor the net on situations (forums). Only driver issue I will have is the Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value card. Creative does have a driver for the Vista, but it is in Beta version. All else for drivers is ok. I sure like to know about Poser(6) and Vista will do together. Wondering if CuriousLabs or should I say.."EF" will come out with a patch for any poser products to use in Vista. Oh... and I do play one game online when I get the time... BF2/SF. Dunno how that will go. 

BooKMarked thread..

Tony

gammaRascal ( ) posted Tue, 30 January 2007 at 5:04 PM

Tomshardware did some benchmarks.

Not poser specific but interesting read none the less. 

There are some programs that showed deeply disappointing performance. Unreal Tournament 2004 and the professional graphics benchmarking suite SPECviewperf 9.03 suffered heavily from the lack of support for the OpenGL graphics library under Windows Vista. This is something we expected, and we clearly advise against replacing Windows XP with Windows Vista if you need to run professional graphics applications.

We are disappointed that CPU-intensive applications such as video transcoding with XviD (DVD to XviD MPEG4) or the MainConcept H.264 Encoder performed 18% to nearly 24% slower in our standard benchmark scenarios. Both benchmarks finished much quicker under Windows XP. There aren't newer versions available, and we don't see immediate solutions to this issue.

www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/29/xp-vs-vista/index.html

xantor ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 12:48 AM

I will avoid buying or using windows vista for as long as I possibly can.

gammaRascal ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 5:40 AM

Me to, if anything I'll up to 64bit xp pro on my next rig just so I can get the higher tier of ram to work.

pixelsquash ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 6:37 AM

Before deciding to use Vista get yourself aquainted to the annoying protection mechanisms that simmer under it's hood ... http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Also if you use a Logitech Mouse that uses Mouseware and your plan to keep it like that, note that Logitech doesn't plan to develop any Vista-compatible drivers.  My MX310 runs with the Vista generic Mouse driver but its a lot sower than with MouseWare (higher DPI?) and middle mouse button doesn't work! The driver situation for Vista is a horror (because of the aforementioned protections).

www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php

Angelouscuitry ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 7:47 AM · edited Wed, 31 January 2007 at 7:48 AM

pixelsquash -  The distance your pointer moves across your screen, vs. how far you've actually moved your mouse, is a windows setting; called something like Mouse Speed.

Not sure about the middle button though. :  (

DarrenUK ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 8:44 AM · edited Wed, 31 January 2007 at 8:45 AM

Quote - from what I heard, vista is a copy of mac os 10.2 and 10.3, but to get all the features, ya gotta spend $400 u.s.

Although Vista isn't based on the Mac OS, many people think that the GUI has been "ripped off" from it. From what I remember, Apple was the first to use the icon style GUI anyway. This is the same as the argument saying that the iphone design is "ripping off" the LG "Prada" phone.
As new technologies emerge, and new ways of working become the norm, there are bound to be overlaps in design and function. There are still significant differences between them.
PC's will probably still be hacker friendly, and Mac's will still be overpriced and a pain to upgrade yourself.

Daz Studio 4.8 and 4.9beta, Blender 2.78, Sketchup, Poser Pro 2014 Game Dev SR5 on Windows 8 Pro x64. Poser Display Units are inches

pixelsquash ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 9:19 AM

Quote - pixelsquash -  The distance your pointer moves across your screen, vs. how far you've actually moved your mouse, is a windows setting; called something like Mouse Speed.

Not sure about the middle button though. :  (

Yes I know that. But when you set Mouseware to fastest and then set the Win generic driver to fastest, the Logitech driver is still alot faster (and more precise) than the Win driver. I.e. the win driver simply doesn't offer the same acceleration scale.

www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php

dbowers22 ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 10:43 AM

Quote - Before deciding to use Vista get yourself aquainted to the annoying protection mechanisms that simmer under it's hood ... http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html

Interesting article.  Another reason to hold off on buying Vista.

lululee ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 11:12 AM

I purchased Windows XP Pro 64 bit. it is amazing. Poser6,Poser 7 and poserPro run very well and much faster.So does Vue5 Vue6 infinite and Cararra. It is very clean and stable.
cheerio  lululee

Jim Burton ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 11:20 AM · edited Wed, 31 January 2007 at 11:22 AM

Vista is Microsoft's new plan for separating money from computer users.

I'm still on Windows 2000, and will be for quite some time (it runs great on my brand new setup), as it is probably faster, runs all my software fine (including Max 9), and I don't see any need to make Microsoft richer.

But some always need the latest-greatest, even if it actually runs slower.

Anyone ready for the "Great Poser 7 CPU test" ? ;-)

*"From what I remember, Apple was the first to use the icon style GUI anyway. This is the same as the argument saying that the iphone design is "ripping off" the LG "Prada" phone.

Nope, Jobs "borrowed" it from the Xerox Alto Computer.  How quickly we forget!  That was the old Mac interface, The current Mac O.S. seems to have been copied from Windows.  The pot calling the kettle black. 

toolstech ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 11:46 AM

Quote - I've got Poser 7 loading as I type this on a Vista test machine (at work).  So far, I'm annoyed by the constant "Are you sure you want to..." pop-up messages. 

Yes, the User Account Control in Vista is perhaps the most annoying thing Microsoft has ever introduced.  Fortunately, it can be turned off.

Talain ( ) posted Wed, 31 January 2007 at 1:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've got Poser 7 loading as I type this on a Vista test machine (at work).  So far, I'm annoyed by the constant "Are you sure you want to..." pop-up messages. 

Yes, the User Account Control in Vista is perhaps the most annoying thing Microsoft has ever introduced.  Fortunately, it can be turned off.

Welcome to the world of UNIX/Linux.  Possibly the one single positive feature of Vista is that it is actually feasible to run Windows with limited user privileges and switch to super user mode only when necessary.  Such has been standard procedure in the Unix world for years.  (Under Ubuntu, you can't even "log in" as a superuser, you use the "sudo" command for anything that requires superuser access).

The upside is that your computer is significantly more secure because much malware will not be able to do whatever it is it's trying to do because it won't have the necessary permissions to do so.  (And when you get a pop-up that says that Gator is trying to install itself, you can click no to prevent it).

Though poorly written software is probably going to make it a bitch at times.  (For YEARS now Windows programs have been doing things that would make them require higher levels of access than they should need.  i.e., storing data in the Program Files directory, something that should be a no-no, as for a limited user to write to anywhere in that folder is supposed to be absolutely forbidden).

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.