Fri, Sep 20, 2:32 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 19 11:01 pm)

Subject: texture stretching... not good

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 6:27 AM · edited Thu, 01 August 2024 at 1:41 PM

Attached Link: http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h107/pbellows/Untitled.jpg

file_368035.jpg

Here is an image of a shirt I have made. As you can see, the texture stretches down the sides. How can I fix this?

ockham ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 12:19 PM

Some stretching is inevitable on a complex shape ... after all, the
fabric of the real thing will stretch in places also.

You might try separating the mesh into a front and back piece,
divided at the point where you'd naturally expect a seam or stitch.

Set up the two pieces as material zones, then map each in
Planar mode on Z axis.   That might give less stretching than
Cylindrical mode.

(If this is what you've already done, sorry!)

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

DigitalDreamsDS ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 12:26 PM

I just loaded my shirt in UVMapper and used planar mode. When I modeled it in hex I did not create a uv map there. I was told either way works...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 1:59 PM

planar mapping will always give stretching at the seams. that's why they switched to pseudo-cylindrical mapping in V3 and later models. it's not an easy topic to describe here, unfortunately, but perhaps somebody in the UVMapper forum can answer this question again. but if ya got a v3 model, just look at how the template appears for the v3 obj file in UVMapper.

elenorcoli ( ) posted Mon, 05 February 2007 at 11:30 PM

when i make shirts and stuff i use cylindrical mapping, and before exporting the model, i define front, back, and side groups.  really helps with texturing, eliminated a lot of stretching.  also might need to define collar part and sleeve.  just chop the texture up until it maps nicely.  even if you map the entire front back side at the same time, having them defined separately helps the uvmapper make a nicer map

great looking shirt by the way

patorak ( ) posted Tue, 06 February 2007 at 10:48 AM

Hi pbellows,

Does hexagon have uv mapping?  If so does it have an atlas or pelt mapping function.  Also,  does it have a split by seam and weld by seam function?  The reason I ask is to get the most accurate mapping,  with the least amount of stretching,  you will need to atlas or pelt map your model. 

Cheers,
Patorak   

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.