Tue, Oct 22, 6:16 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photography

Welcome to the Photography Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photography F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Sep 18 12:22 pm)

Subject: Monochrome...In Camera or Postwork?

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 9:20 PM · edited Sat, 10 August 2024 at 7:24 AM

A question to ponder for those shooting Digital ....

Do you shoot Monochrome in the Camera.....or shoot color and go Monochrome in postwork?

Same question about sepia tone...

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

Radlafx ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 10:04 PM

Postwork. You cant achieve the same effects/control in camera.

Question the question. Answer the question. Question the answer...

I wish I knew what I was gonna say :oP

ultimatemale ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 10:38 PM

Attached Link: ultimatedream

i shoot colour, & then later convert to monochrome later on if i have to. that way, there r no regrets.

Akpe
www.ultimatedream.co.uk

Boofy ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 11:06 PM

I used to shoot in colour and then change in post, the other day I woopsed with the setting and come up with such lovely sepia colours (link below) that I couldn't wait to download so now it is in cam with another shot in colour if I think it is warranted.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1402819

Jenny

Dianthus ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 2:38 AM

On my Canon i can shoot both at same time. Depends what i am shooting and if i am not sure what affect i am after.
Chris

inshaala ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 4:33 AM

Definitely postwork.  Check this out for various ways of doing in in PS:

http://www.dpchallenge.com/tutorial.php?TUTORIAL_ID=43

"In every colour, there's the light.
In every stone sleeps a crystal.
Remember the Shaman, when he used to say:
Man is the dream of the Dolphin"

Rich Meadows Photography

olivier158 ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 5:14 AM

i agree with all here ! postwork !!

if you shoot in color, you can apply differents typicals b&w filters (red, green, orange) and keep the real effect, then desaturate or use the channel mixer (wonderful tool !!)

Olivier

bclaytonphoto ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 5:30 AM

I've always shot color, then converted it..

But...I was just curious..and may experiment with the camera b&w

www.bclaytonphoto.com

bclaytonphoto on Facebook

girsempa ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 6:42 AM · edited Fri, 16 March 2007 at 6:43 AM

I think monochrome in camera really pays off if you know that you're gonna have to do a whole 'themed' shoot in monochrome or sepia... in that case it would be more time-consuming to do it all in postwork. So, I guess the monochrome in-camera has its purposes... But for casual shots, I would always choose postwork.

We do not see things as they are. ǝɹɐ ǝʍ sɐ sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝs ǝʍ

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 10:35 AM

Geert makes a good point and the only reason to shoot monochrome in camera is to save time. You have so many more options when converting from color -- from tonal adjustment to what you want to emphasize most. You can convert from one channel, or from hue/saturation, or several other ways. The only time have used B&W in camera is when shooting IR because all the info is in the red channel anyway, and I seem to get a cleaner shot that way.

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 10:39 AM

Definitely postwork - I really don't care that it will take me longer if it's for a series.

You can create an action in PS to handle the initial procedures so that everything starts with the same conversion method and settings. Then it's just a matter of "massaging" that would be different to each particular image anyway.

TwoPynts ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 11:10 AM

Good point about creating an action...I do it all the time at work to increase my productivity. Leave more time for play here! ;'P

Kort Kramer - Kramer Kreations

joeyz ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 12:07 PM

im a big fan of converting in PS with the channel mixer.It just seems like you get a richer photo.

danob ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 1:25 PM

Hmm I would always favour postwork.. And you have always got the colour shot to go back to if th BW did not work out so well..

Danny O'Byrne  http://www.digitalartzone.co.uk/

"All the technique in the world doesn't compensate for the inability to notice" Eliott Erwitt

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.