Wed, Jul 3, 1:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jul 02 3:11 pm)

Subject: 42 Runtimes?

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 2:55 PM · edited Sat, 11 May 2024 at 9:13 AM

Ok, this isn't about me, really!   My friend's friend's friend's cousin's friend's brother-in-law's son uses Poser and has 42 external runtime folders! Like OMG!  Can you believe it?!  42!?!?

What on earth would she....erm, I mean he need so many runtime folders for?!? She...ummm, he, must be more than a bit obsessive compulsive when it comes to organizing files.

How many runtimes do you have?

Me? I have ONE and that's my story and I'm sticking to it  :biggrin:  :tongue2:  😉

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Casette ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:02 PM

Four: General (P6), Betatests, P7, Betatests P7 :)

CASETTE
=======
"Poser isn't a SOFTWARE... it's a RELIGION!"

David.J.Harmon ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:04 PM

37 so far...

I use a runtime for each main company and types. I have so many mods I have to do it that way. even Aery Soul has their own runtime. (I love their stuff)

David J Harmon
davidjharmon.com

Keith ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:39 PM

Fifteen or so.  I break it down by character.

gillbrooks ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 3:42 PM

I had around 15 till my external drive crashed so I have to rebuild 8 of them (the largest ones were on there of cours) :(

I divide mine by character plus props, hair and creatures

Gill

ziggie ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 4:45 PM

V4 Left Shoe (DAZ)

V4 Right Shoe (DAZ)

V4 Left Shoe (Rend)

V4 Right Shoe (Rend)

V4 Undies - Blue - Small (DAZ)

V4 Undies - Pink - Large - Spots - Yellow (RDNA)

etc

"You don't have to be mad to use Poser... but it helps"

DarkEdge ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 4:53 PM

well he, errr, ummm...she is a bit compulsive aren't we? 😉

i got 4.
poser 6
poser 7
poser 6 downloads
poser 7 downloads

Comitted to excellence through art.

stormchaser ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:08 PM

**Oh no, I only have two. Now I feel really small & unimportant, I'll have to get me some more!

Acadia - Are you, er........sorry, your friend's next doors neighbours long lost relative's old school friend a little obsessed with Poser?!!**

DCArt ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:11 PM

LMAO Ziggie!!!!!

jwiest ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:31 PM

I've got 7 at the moment.  P7, V3, V4, A3, M3, SP and a catch all "Other Figures" that has more architectural stuff as well as the Young Teens at the moment.

My V3 one is way too huge though and probably ought to be broken out further...just never get around to it. lol

John

mathman ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:43 PM

I have 79 ... and I'm not joking

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:59 PM · edited Fri, 23 February 2007 at 6:00 PM

I divide mine up by general topic, and then divide each runtime up by specific figures:

I.E. --

Character Runtime

- Pose
         - M3 Characters
         - SP Characters
         - V3 Characters
         - V4 Characters

.....etc.

Clothing Runtime

- Figures
             - M3 Clothing
             - SP Clothing
             - V3 Clothing
             - V4 Clothing

......etc.

**Hair Runtime
Equipment Runtime (subdivides into sci-fi props, vehicles, weapons, tools, etc.)

Environment Runtime (includes outdoor scenes, buildings, rooms, etc. -- plus furniture)

Working Runtime (for special projects or items/characters created for specific scenes)

Misc Runtime (for those occasional odd items which defy classification)

......and so forth.

Also, under each category I break off separate folders for free downloaded items vs. commercially purchased items.

Total number?  I'm not sure.  I'd have to go home and count them.  Probably around a dozen -- each with much more detailed sub-folder structures.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

artistheat ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 5:59 PM

I only have 22...That's small compare to most of you guys...LOL..

Darboshanski ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 6:23 PM

I have 5. Alpha, Bravo, Daz, Pose01 and Pose02 that's it. I've never been one to keep things I'm not using. If I have props or figures I haven't  used in ages then they are deleted. If I want them again I just go to my DVD back ups.

My Facebook Page

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 6:23 PM

I have DAZ injection figures in the Main Runtime, all the other figures in Downloads Runtime, Hair, V3 clothes, DAZ non-V3 Clothes, Other Clothes, Props/Scenes, Testing.

Even though I have set to deep search I have to find things manually sometimes/often. I have run CorrectReference and PoserFileOrganizer to confirm the paths and check a lot of them "by hand" but still quite often Poser can't find geometry and textures.

You keep the injections in the Main Runtime and the figures in other runtimes and Poser finds them? I think I would like different runtimes for the different Millenium 3 figures but it hasn't worked for me. I would think that switching runtimes would be faster the more and smaller the runtimes are but my Poser is so bad at finding things... My runtimes are in the c: root directory... I figured that would help no?

Hmm.

Anniebel ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 6:45 PM

I must be as anal as you, errr  .... him, I have 42 :a_shocked: so far & I haven't finished sorting. Can think of at least 3 I haven't redone yet :a_blush:

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

SoCalRoberta ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 8:37 PM

Total of 4--Poser 7, Poser 6, (both are external runtimes for the other program), Poser 5 (unistalled the program and never bothered to rename the runtime), and DAZ GEN4(which I'm using for Jesse G2 and Sydney.go figure)

XENOPHONZ ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 9:09 PM

Quote - Even though I have set to deep search I have to find things manually sometimes/often. I have run CorrectReference and PoserFileOrganizer to confirm the paths and check a lot of them "by hand" but still quite often Poser can't find geometry and textures.

You keep the injections in the Main Runtime and the figures in other runtimes and Poser finds them? I think I would like different runtimes for the different Millenium 3 figures but it hasn't worked for me. I would think that switching runtimes would be faster the more and smaller the runtimes are but my Poser is so bad at finding things... My runtimes are in the c: root directory... I figured that would help no?

Hmm.

I put all of the geometry files and the texture files into the main P7 installation folders.  I also place the DAZ injection folders into the main runtime directory directly under P7.

That way -- Poser never has a problem finding geometry or texture files, regardless of where the prop/figure/pose/whatever is stored.

Something To Do At 3:00AM 

ockham ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 9:28 PM

Same system as Casette.  One inside each version, plus one
directly on C: where it's easy to zip up a single project for release.

My python page
My ShareCG freebies

Victoria_Lee ( ) posted Fri, 23 February 2007 at 10:25 PM

Right now - 26 but that's changing as I'm in the process of reorganizing now that they're on their own SATA drive.

Hugz from Phoenix, USA

Victoria

Remember, sometimes the dragon wins. Correction: MOST times.

jjroland ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 1:23 AM

Well Acadia I have to call you on that friends brothers relatives sisters nonsense - as just a few weeks ago you helped me understand what runtimes were and said "I currently have 42"  : p

nanana

I am:  aka Velocity3d 

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:22 AM

47 at the moment and still growing, just added clothing G2F and Clothing G2M.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:27 AM · edited Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:28 AM

Quote - Well Acadia I have to call you on that friends brothers relatives sisters nonsense - as just a few weeks ago you helped me understand what runtimes were and said "I currently have 42"  : p

nanana

Ooops!  :ohmy:  I did?  😊

Ok! Ok! I admit it!  My name is Linda and I'm a Poser Addict!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 3:32 AM

One, arranged using sub-folders, works for me!

Do not try and convert me to multiple, I tried it and I don't like it!

Injustice will be avenged.
Cofiwch Dryweryn.

amacord ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 4:03 AM

never got the point of the multiple-runtime-idea. isn't poser-life complicated enough without? one runtime - currently some 6.5 gigs - shared in a friendly manner by p5 and p6. simple!

momodot ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 11:34 AM

Can Poser be tricked into finding things using Windows "Shortcut" files?

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 2:51 PM

Quote - Can Poser be tricked into finding things using Windows "Shortcut" files?

Poser 7 "collections" are windows shortcuts setup in a separate "runtime". these can be used without regard for which runtime you have current.

My Homepage - Free stuff and Galleries

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 3:06 PM

I believe shortcuts in libraries do work so long as they are in the "right" section. that is to say shortcuts for figures would have to be in the figure library. shortcuts to figure sub-folders will only work in figure folders... actually they "work" because they send you to the other folder but you don't see any of the contents.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 3:08 PM

How does the subfolder thing work? My 6 runtimes were very big and very badly organized -- kinda like me! I did the multiple runtime thing in order to separate the stuff I test and my non-commercial freebies from everything else. But I'd rather have just one -- or maybe two -- with things easier to find when I need 'em.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 4:33 PM

To have one runtime with subfolders all you have to do is create whatever subfolders you want inside the default library folders.

For example if you want to separate V3 clothing from M3 clothing you would go to the character and pose and props folders and create subfolders called "V3 Clothing" or "M3 Clothing" and from there create further subfolders inside those by the name of the outfit.  So for example you might have a path like this:

Poser6/runtime/libraries/character/V3 Clothing/Morphing Fantasy Dress
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/V3 Clothing/Morphing Fantasy Dress

You can create yet another layer of subfolders inside those to have something like this:

Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/V3 Clothing/Morphing Fantasy Dress/Jane Smith Textures (where Jane Smith is a merchant and her MFD Textures are inside the folder)

I tend to keep all textures inside a subfolder for the outfit they are for. So all of my MFD textures are inside my MFD folder inside my Pose folder. This makes finding my textures very easy because everything for that dress that I have installed is located in one spot and because I use subfolders to separate each of the textures I can still tell who created them.

Once you have finished setting up your subfolders you could have something like the following:

Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/V3 Clothing/Morphing Fantasy Dress
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/V3 Clothing/subfolder
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/V3 Clothing/subfolder

Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/M3 Clothing/subfolder
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/Aiko/subfolder to break content into clothing, shoes, poses etc
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/poses/subfolder to break them into theme or by figure
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/plants/subfolder
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/props/subfolder to break up by theme or item
Poser6/runtime/libraries/poses/weapons

etc. etc. etc.

Do the same inside any of the library folders with the exception of the morph folders.

I used to do this before I got the hang of multiple runtimes and I liked it well enough but it wasn't as organized as I like, plus one large runtime is hard to backup not to mention that it takes Poser longer to open if you have a huge runtime connected to it.

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 4:41 PM

Mine doesn't go that deep Acadia 'cos you could get too deep with it.
Similar to what you say though, in my Character folder I have a sub folder called clothing, but the other sub folders are only by figure so I have a V3 clothes, M3 clothes, A3 clothes etc. as you have said, but I don't create anything further down than that because each clothing item has it's own folder made by the creator anyway, so my V3 clothing folder has a number of folders with clothes in.
You have to remember that this system will only work well for you "IF" you use the small black triangle to navigate it!
The naysayers of this sytem will tell you about increased load times and such which isn't strictly true, the initial start up may take slightly longer [we're not talking minutes here] but once in, loading of items and navigation are IMO much quicker than multiples and yes I'm talking after trying both methods!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 5:21 PM · edited Sat, 24 February 2007 at 5:22 PM

Hm, don't think I want to sort by creator & outfit ... way too many of those. But putting all Mike's stuff in his own folder, and doing the same with all Vicky's, and all Apollo's (when I get him) things makes sense. I'd probably need separate Testing and Non-Commercial runtimes, but that's okay as they'd be much smaller & easier to navigate. Hunting thru 70 gigs of stuff in half a dozen different places trying to find all the parts of an outfit drives me absolutely batty!

thefixer ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 5:28 PM

No, going as deep as by outfit is not a good idea, it would be a nightmare, not sure if I gave that idea right in the above post. The same thing can be done with clothing props. 
You know when you buy a set of clothing it may have the dress for instance that is a figure and a choker say that is a prop, so my Prop main folder has a clothing props sub folder, that then has other sub folders like M3 clothing props, V3 clothing props, A3 clothin props etc.
Works ok for me!!

Cofiwch Dryweryn.

Byrdie ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 6:25 PM

Think I'll give that a try. With the state of my previous runtimes, it can only be an improvement. :blushing:

elzoejam ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 6:55 PM

Im with you fixer! One Runtime, subfolders for every figure, sub-subfolders for that figures "stuff".

-Sarah

Tyger_purr ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 9:14 PM

well, before p7 i could see how a single runtime would be a bit easier. but P7 has a pulldown for runtimes which makes switching simple and with smaller runtimes there is little or no delay when switching.

I've found having multiple runtimes also helps in making backups.

to each their own. I have 15

FlyByNight ( ) posted Sat, 24 February 2007 at 11:33 PM

I have two. One for P6 and one for P4.

FlyByNight

SWAMP ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 12:27 AM

I have 11/8 runtimes….

I deleted the complete runtime in Poser 6 and just linked to my very small runtime in ProPack.

Then I forgot I had to have that darn “!DAZ” injection file inside of Poser 6…so that’s my 1/8 th runtime.

Or is that only 1/16th ?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 11:26 AM

Poser6 (which is almost empty)
Poser7
Scenery
M3
V3
freebies
lights
Aiko
Hiro
Troll
downloads (never put anything in it but switch to it before I shut down poser for quicker starts)

ps having too many subfolders can cause problems if you give them looooooooong names ;)

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

jecnodde ( ) posted Sun, 25 February 2007 at 12:38 PM

38 here :) Each divided into catagory and by figure:
Some exemple

Aiko
Aiko cloth
Animals
Plants
Hair
V3
V3 Cloth
P4
P5
Scene
Testing
Buildings
Empty - this one is my "startup" runtime - I have write in the liberypref file that this is the startingfolder, and then put hte pref file to "ReadOnly"  so then I don't have to switch to it before I quit Poser :)

this is my how my LibraryPrefs.xml file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0"?>                                                                            

Love Jenny

majesticartist ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 12:13 PM

Dang, I feel small.....LOL! I have 13

Dajadues ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 1:47 PM

42 Runtimes?

I have 4 at the most & I'll be cutting that in half this week.

ghelmer ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 4:46 PM

I only have 1, 2 if ya count the one in P7 which only has the stock content and I'm not even using P7 as it doesn't play nice with Carrara 5!!!

G

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

PilotHigh ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 9:08 PM

Well...I have 124 for Poser 6. Of course I've been collecting for 8 years now.

i.e.  for A3
A3 Daz (for cr2 and MT)
A3 ClothesPW
A3 ClothesDNA
A3 ClothesDaz
A3 Clothes

ghelmer ( ) posted Mon, 26 February 2007 at 9:52 PM

Quote - I only have 1, 2 if ya count the one in P7 which only has the stock content ...

I didn't mention that the 1 (P6) Runtime is a bloated 40 or 50 gigabytes!!!  I guess things probably would run better with multiple runtimes or is it merely for better organization???

Gerard

The GR00VY GH0ULIE!

You are pure, you are snow
We are the useless sluts that they mould
Rock n roll is our epiphany
Culture, alienation, boredom and despair

nemmerss ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:34 PM · edited Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:36 PM

Old thread, but ...

All of them are on the dedicated L: drive.

They're split out by character (V1/2, V3, S2, S3, M2, M3, etc), buildings/structures, environment, then subcategories for commercial and non-commercial use items ... looks like it's similar to what PilotHigh is doing.

I use P3DO for browsing and loading in Poser though, not Poser's library scroll-search.  Much faster.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 4:56 PM
Site Admin

I've got 23 so I thinkn I'm on the lower side of this group. 

I was wondering, is there a way to alphabetize them? I've just added one for Apollo and I'd like it to be at the top by the a's rather at the bottom.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

nemmerss ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 5:10 PM

@RedPhantom:

1.)  Make a backup your LibraryPrefs.xml file (under the Poser 6 install directory in the "prefs" folder, or under your profile in Poser 7 -- likely c:Documents and Settings[Your Profile Name] ...) before you get started.

2.)  Open the LibraryPrefs.xml file in your ASCII text editor of choice (Notepad2 is my option).

3.)  Re-order the xml blocks the way you'd like them to appear.  Make sure you have the open/close tag pairs included when you cut and paste.

4.)  Save your file.

5.)  Names of folders should now appear in the order you want them.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.