Tue, Oct 22, 2:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Vue

Welcome to the Vue Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, TheBryster

Vue F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 17 8:34 am)

Subject: Ivy Generator

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 2:31 PM · edited Tue, 22 October 2024 at 2:22 AM

Looks cool!  Take any object and generate ivy climbing around it and then export as obj.  Haven't tried it yet, but downloaded.  See the Cinema 4D forum for some examples of people trying it out.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/showthread.php?thread_id=2689455

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

LVS - Where Learning is Fun!  
http://www.lvsonline.com/index.html

iloco ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 2:43 PM

Thanks, Looks very useful. :)

ïÏøçö

jc ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 4:40 PM · edited Thu, 15 March 2007 at 4:44 PM

Thanks Peggy, very interesting!
Guess it only works in Cinema 4?

videodv ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 4:44 PM · edited Thu, 15 March 2007 at 4:45 PM

Nope its a standalone proggie. use with any 3d app that can import and export obj

jc ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 5:04 PM

Aha!
Gotta try it with Silo 3D - thanks!

RICHARD ( ) posted Thu, 15 March 2007 at 11:59 PM

looks cool,cant open rar files,could someone who can e-mail me it in a zip file-please?RHassi7665@aol.com-thanks

andrewe_665 ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 6:30 PM

can someone also mail me a Zip file of this, thanks

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 7:17 PM

Richard, I sent you the zip file.  Andrewe, send me you e-mail address and I will e-mail a zip file.  It's 4.48 MB

RICHARD ( ) posted Fri, 16 March 2007 at 11:41 PM · edited Fri, 16 March 2007 at 11:43 PM

peggy

thank you very much,can't wait to try this out.LOL

haegerst ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 7:22 AM

Still experimenting with it, but yet i think this is great. Really interesting program.

Vue content creator
www.renderarmy.com

andrewe_665 ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 1:41 PM

Peggy I sent you my email address love to get hold of this,thanks

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 2:01 PM

Here a download for Winrar 3.7 (beta) - maybe some others have problems with rar archives as well.

tc.versiontracker.com/product/redir/lid/1010145/wrar37b4.exe

I am sure there are quite some free programs around that can handle rar files easily.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

ariannah ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 2:11 PM

Wabe - there are.  Check out www.versiontracker.com via their search engine.
The Bryce forums both here & at 3DC are also showing excellent WIP images using Ivy Generator.

This resident foliage hound & her dual G5 PPC are verrrry jealous. ;-/

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

wabe ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 3:39 PM

Mac wise, for me very good helpers are "The Unarchiver" and "CleanArchiver". Both free and easy to handle. AND fast.

And yes, versiontracker.com is for me the best resource when I look for programs. Unbeatable and when you look at my link of Winrar you will see that I used versiontracker too. Hi hi.

One day your ship comes in - but you're at the airport.

ariannah ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 3:42 PM

Gack.  Sorry Wabe! 
I'm an "idjit" for not seeing your version tracker link above.
I ned mor koffee.
And to go outside for a bit.

mea culpa.

I dare you, while there is still time, to have a magnificent obsession. --William Danforth

silverblade33 ( ) posted Sat, 17 March 2007 at 7:20 PM

mmmmm, nice program!! :)
thanks for pointing that out

"I'd rather be a Fool who believes in Dragons, Than a King who believes in Nothing!" www.silverblades-suitcase.com
Free tutorials, Vue & Bryce materials, Bryce Skies, models, D&D items, stories.
Tutorials on Poser imports to Vue/Bryce, Postwork, Vue rendering/lighting, etc etc!

shadeus ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 2:32 PM

i wanted to test it fast so i made a cyclinder and imported it in but i cant get anything to happen...

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Sun, 18 March 2007 at 3:09 PM

It's a bit hard to figure out from the readme.  Double-click where you want the ivy to grow.  Press Grow.  Once the ivy is looking good, click Birth.  Then export.  If you don't click the Birth button - the exported obj file is 0 bytes.

Check both the Bryce and Cinema 4D forums for more tips and pictures of what people are doing with this.  

ariannah ( ) posted Mon, 19 March 2007 at 10:32 AM

Mac OS X users......in case you haven't heard, there's now a Mac version avail at the Ivy Generator site.
Thanks huge to Robert (kuroyume0161) here at RO's C4D forum for going to all the trouble to port this amazing looking app to the Mac OS.

Kaveman in the Bryce forum was working on a Mac port at the same time.  Hopefully his input will be useful as well.  Anyway, just wanted to share in case any Mac users here are interested. ;)

Rutra ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 1:55 AM

This is a great tool! But I'm having difficulties in doing an exact match between the exported ivy and the original obj back in Vue. I mean, Ivygenerator exports only the ivy itself, and in Vue I have the original obj on which I have to apply the ivy. How to match the two exactly? Just by trial & error or is there some "magic trick"? Thanks!

Becco_UK ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 4:42 AM

Rutra: There is no magic trick needed! I'ts a bit trial and error until you find the best object export scale and depending on software being used, the import scale of the ivy.

Hdrider ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 8:10 AM · edited Tue, 20 March 2007 at 8:11 AM

Attached Link: http://mysite.verizon.net/sfg0000/

Hello,  My two cents:  One, I've found out that if the obj object is triangulated, the ivy grows a lot better.

Two, the program PoseRay (attached link) can combine object files into one. What I do is generate the ivy on the object and then export it as a new file then run PoseRay to combine the base and the ivy file and save it as a new file. Be careful though not to overwrite the original I'm still experimenting with the dials to see what they all do.

One side note: the final object is fairly big. Haven't figured out how to reduce the polygon size yet.

Later...

No good deed goes unpunished ...

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 10:59 AM · edited Tue, 20 March 2007 at 11:00 AM

file_372322.jpg

Wow, stuning program! Just did a test.

Imagine what you could have on an antique ruin, or a destroyed city...

I wonder what result we could have by letting the ivy grown on an infinite plane...
Anybody has tried that?

My Store

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 11:35 AM

Nope, must be an obj file for Ivy program to work. 

vincebagna ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 11:46 AM

lol, of course. So what about a plane with big proportions?

My Store

Monsoon ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 12:10 PM

But you could grow the ivy, import it into Vue, save it as .vob and then eco it wherever you want.  I would just use a regular plane though. Not very much works with infinity.

Hdrider ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 7:47 PM · edited Tue, 20 March 2007 at 7:48 PM

Attached Link: http://home.revealed.net/hdrider/Index/Old Shed2.jpg

Here's a sample image.

Peggy_Walters ( ) posted Tue, 20 March 2007 at 9:31 PM

Very nice looking shed! 

Hdrider ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 8:12 AM

Thanks. Still figureing out the dials and such. This is a very interesting toy.

Later...

shadeus ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 11:09 AM

ok so i can get one ivy to grow but it only covers a little and when i export it and load it into 3dsmax all i get is the line and i cant get the materials onto it.....

Becco_UK ( ) posted Wed, 21 March 2007 at 11:17 AM

file_372465.jpg

**shadeus**: May be worth checking the export/import scale from Max. I found this a bit trial and error with Cinema and for one of my mess abouts I found an object about 35 Metres worked for me.

Also dont forget to press the 'Birth' button! 

martial ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 2:14 PM

Hello.Using VInf 6 i try to put texture on the obj generated by the program .The efeu1.png is loaded with the mesh but no transparency on .I have tried to create an alpha image with this efeu1.png but when i use edit material and want to load it VUE crash each time.Someone have create a material for this ivy leaf? Thanks

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 4:02 PM

Attached Link: Ivy Leaf Post @ RuntimeDNA

**martial**: AlphaKitty at one of the RuntimeDNA posts has made a seperate transparency and bump maps for the ivy leaves.

Alternatively you could always use the ivy png's in a paint program to make a seperate transparency/alpha map for use in Vue.

martial ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 4:37 PM

Thanks
these are better than the one i made
My problem is how to load it in VUEinf

The mtl file could be modified for loading trans and bump ? I see it can be openned in notepad but i ignore hoe to modify it

synergy543 ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 4:55 PM

What program creates an mtl file? And is the mtl file necessary if you use a png image as texture?

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 5:13 PM · edited Sat, 24 March 2007 at 5:17 PM

martial: I don't have Vue Infinate but in Vue 4 it's possible to either modify an existing material (using different texture maps) or make a new material using different maps and asign that to the object/s in question.

synergy543: Virtually every program that exports .obj files creates a mtl (material) file that provides a basic but functional way to transfer material info - ie colour, bump maps. If you open one in a text editor you will see better than me trying to explain!

The problem is that different software sometimes creates the mtl files slightly different and this is where problems often arise when using the exported object/s in another program.

I usually find it quicker to develop new materials in the software I use and apply those rather than relying on .mtl files.

synergy543 ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 6:30 PM

I opened the mtl file that came with Ivy and this is all I saw: newmtl klinker map_Kd klinker.png I seems its simply re-directing it to use the png file for texture? Or am I missing something? I guess if you had a lot of different texture maps it would be helpful by directing them all to the proper surfaces so you wouldn't need to do it manually? (just guessing here). Well, thanks for the info.

Becco_UK ( ) posted Sat, 24 March 2007 at 7:33 PM

synergy543: Poser exports this material file for a single material object.

newmtl Preview
Ns 10
Ka 0 0 0
Kd 0.980392 0.105882 0.00784314
Ks 1 1 1
map_Kd pla001.jpg
map_Bump  pla001b.jpg

In Poser and Cinema4D the transparency for the ivy has to be set up 'by hand'.

Not fully sure but I don't think .mtl files are good with transparency. Seems easier to make and save new materials in the software being and apply as and when needed.

AgentSmith ( ) posted Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:23 PM · edited Thu, 29 March 2007 at 6:25 PM

*In Poser and Cinema4D the transparency for the ivy has to be set up 'by hand'

*-Same thing in Bryce, all the maps will load (after you show Bryce where folder they are in) but they need to be tweaked to make the alpha maps work correctly.

Because of that, once I got the first Ivy in I just got the materials exactly the way I wanted them on the three Ivy meshes (branch, young leaves, adult leaves), and then saved them as seperate material presets. After that, I didn't need the mtl, or to browse to the original textures, I just cancel all that, then apply my presets.

Oh, and I replaced the branch image texture with a procedural one, looks much better doing it that way, imho.

Great app, this thing!

Contact Me | Gallery | Freestuff | IMDB Credits | Personal Site
"I want to be what I was when I wanted to be what I am now"

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.