Sun, Oct 6, 6:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 05 8:40 pm)

Subject: Critique Thread

Propschick ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 4:21 AM · edited Wed, 02 October 2024 at 8:30 AM

So yesterday I signed up for this critique thread, and have had some good feedback, but I wanted to mention a few things:
If you are going to critique my gallery work, please at least take time to read what i have typed to go along with the artwork.

I have noticed several critique group comments posted where it is clear the poster did not even bother to read the caption or read anything about what I used to create the piece.

Ive also been getting site mail from people who are making 'critique' suggestions about programs they admittedly know nothing about nor have ever opened in their lifetime. This is all since yesterday!

I was under the impression that this thread would help me grow as an artist and learn valuable techniques and possibly see stuff about my work i havent before.  

Instead I feel as if Im being scrutinized and "nitpicked" by people who don't care to investigate anything more than what they glance at, and don't really care. 

Look, I'm not trying to be a pain. Just, if you are going to 'critique', try to be helpful and please don't send me suggestions when you don't even have experience in the area.

If I was looking to become a surgeon for a living , I wouldnt take advice from a talk show host. 

So please, real critiques only , from real people who are honestly critiqueing and really know what they are talking about. Also, no need to send nasty or angry comments on site mail.

Thanks.

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Lucifer_The_Dark ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 5:54 AM

Well it looks to me like you've learned a valuable lesson, don't ask pretentious idiots for critical comments.

Windows 7 64Bit
Poser Pro 2010 SR1

lemur01 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 7:28 AM

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Intrigued by your comments i had a look through the first half dozen or so images in your gallery. Ignoring the sycophants, the remaining comments looked like they were trying to be helpful and offered their ideas on what did and didn't work visualy in the images... is this not the sort of crit you were looking for?

I'm no expert in any of the progs i use, but i can tell in an image what is and is not working... it doesn't take an expert in the use of the tool to do that, just a fresh set of eyes looking at an image without the prejudiced perspective of its creator... a fault we all suffer from as artists.

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 9:47 AM

Hmmm. I saw no evidence that they did not read your comments, nor did you have much
for us to read. The crits I saw were all trying to be helpful, and dismissing them in such a
manner is not very helpful really. I love it when they pick my stuff apart cause the 'oooo's and
'aaaah's won't help me learn. I liked the image I saw, but decided not to comment because
I was disappointed by your reaction to what I saw as valid commentary. Dismissing them as
'your favorite part of the image' is not going to get you many more crits, and if you don't REALLY
want them, why are you in the group?

Regards,
Greywolf

Propschick ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 11:28 AM

That comment i made was after I posted this. I suppose you all missed the part where I said most of this is coming in my site mail.

Look, either people are going to be constructive or they are just going to point out what 'they dont like'.

I personally could care less what others dont like. I do however, care to read how i can improve.

Maybe i took the fact that someone sent me a message telling me my work is a waste of space on R'osity. I should be more encouraged from that i suppose.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 11:55 AM

Quote - Maybe i took the fact that someone sent me a message telling me my work is a waste of space on R'osity. I should be more encouraged from that i suppose.

LoL. Way harsh!

fivecat ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 12:05 PM

I see we've already had a couple of these types of threads since the critque group started. I knew they were coming, and it is unfortunate that A. Some people will have difficulty accepting negative comments without defensiveness when they have been subjected to sycophants for months/years. Not everyone will be good at critique, especially at first, so sometimes you have to just ignore the stuff that is not useful without getting defensive. Ask yourself if wading through some perhaps less than useful advice is worth it for that occasional nugget of gold. Some will think so, some not. B. Some idiots will resent the Critique Group, and will spew crap out of spite. That they are sending their spew via site mail rather than adding comments shows that they are not worth a second thought. If the mail is abusive, alert the mods and have it taken care of. Propschick, I saw the comment you reference. I think maybe the person just didn't know what your reference to paper dolls meant. I have no idea what it means, as I don't know all the products people use.

Propschick ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 12:10 PM

You are right. If they didnt have the guts to post something nasty like that out in the open, that makes them a coward, and by doing so they are being sneaky.

I just hope that is the last one i have to deal with. I have decided that seeing how that person thinks my artwork is a waste of space, i shall make even more spacing up that waste.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 1:57 PM

it was my hope, at least, that folks would only post friendly, supportive and helpful comments. if somebody is being abusive, let the mods know about it. however, it's true that some folks with no experience in one software will comment on images produced by that software, which is what the folks in the critique thread agreed upon. hence they may comment on what they think works (or doesn't work) in the image, even if they aren't experts. if critiques were left only to recognised experts, it would devolve into the situation prior to the formation of the "critique club": no constructive criticism of any kind. I had a feeling that complaints would arise in connexion to the "critique club", but I hope the experience can be mostly positive for the members.

fls13 ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 2:48 PM

Quote - I was under the impression that this thread would help me grow as an artist and learn valuable techniques and possibly see stuff about my work i havent before.  

Instead I feel as if Im being scrutinized and "nitpicked" by people who don't care to investigate anything more than what they glance at, and don't really care.

Yeah, you'll get teched to death by people saying "this is wrong, that is wrong" but don't expect any advice on how to actually fix it.  People who critique are idiots and their work usually sucks.

zollster ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 6:19 PM · edited Fri, 30 March 2007 at 6:19 PM

personally...if someone sent me an abusive site mail and was too chicken to post it for everyone to see then i would do it for them

Anasta ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 6:34 PM · edited Fri, 30 March 2007 at 6:34 PM

When I critique, I usually try to 'suggest' instead of saying what is wrong or whatever... There is no such thing as 'wrong' when it comes to art. Its a matter of interpretation and if I see something that I personally think would make the image look better, I'll try to 'suggest' (strong emphasis on that word) what the artist could do to create that. Quite honestly, if I don't have something in the image that I feel I can critique based on my (may it be) limited knowledge, then I don't leave a comment. By joining the critique group, I would assume that each member is looking for ways to improve and not more 'oooh's and aahh's' that in my opinion are useless when you're still learning.

If someone posts an incredible image that really strikes me as good, I will tell them so...

I actually had a situation where I felt a comment posted was rude/sarcastic... but after speaking with the person I realized I had over-reacted and I believe we smoothed everything out... If you really feel that someone or several are flat out being rude, why don't you try talking with them and see what it is they really meant?

Acadia ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 7:34 PM

Quote - You are right. If they didnt have the guts to post something nasty like that out in the open, that makes them a coward, and by doing so they are being sneaky.

I just hope that is the last one i have to deal with. I have decided that seeing how that person thinks my artwork is a waste of space, i shall make even more spacing up that waste.

Stuff like that is not only not tolerated, but it's also ruinous to what is supposed to be a positive experience for people.

Forward the email you got to admin@renderosity.com   and they will look into it.

You should never have been sent something like that. That's not what this group is about.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

Greywolf Starkiller ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 9:58 PM

Ok, now I know what has you so upset, and you ARE right to be. I never knew about that
email, so I must apologize for my reaction to what I thought was defensiveness. Part of the
price of popularity, is there are always jealous idiots out there who hate you for it. Don't let them
get to you. I doubt it's a member of the Crit Cabal :), but it might be someone trying to discredit
us in your eyes. DON'T LET THEM DO IT. Again, my apologies for misunderstanding.

Regards,
Greywolf

drifterlee ( ) posted Fri, 30 March 2007 at 11:55 PM

Whatever you do, do NOT ask my husband for a critique. His standard is ""Can you sell it for money? If not, it's useless...."

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 12:02 AM

Quote - Whatever you do, do NOT ask my husband for a critique. His standard is ""Can you sell it for money? If not, it's useless...."

Or my Brother's  "What's the purpose of it all?"  LMAO

the-negative ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 5:58 AM

Well, if they don't have the guts, disclose them direct in this forum!
That'll teach the idiots how versatile the internet really is.

In This Twilight- My FIRST public poser work in 2 years!
Also the reason why I endorse postwork (:D)

KarenJ ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 6:11 AM

Propschick, please forward the site mail to me and I will deal with this. Thanks.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

pjz99 ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 8:23 AM

Was this regarding our PM exchange about the Photoshop/Liquefy and Paintshop Pro/Warp tools?  Or another PM from someone else?  😕

My Freebies

patorak ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 10:02 AM

*Quote-Maybe i took the fact that someone sent me a message telling me my work is a waste of space on R'osity. I should be more encouraged from that i suppose.-End Quote.

Hello Propschick,

Whoever sent you that message should be ashamed of themselves.  It is by no means a critique but a reflection of the blackness of their soul.

BTW I browsed through your gallery,  and your artwork is very impressive.  

*Quote-I was under the impression that this thread would help me grow as an artist and learn valuable techniques and possibly see stuff about my work i havent before. -End Quote.

My suggestions for you to grow as an artist.  First,  place the critiques both good and bad in a box and set it on a shelf.  Second,  study,  practice,  and apply,  it's a neverending cycle we artists endure. 

Cheers,
Patorak

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:29 PM

Quote - Was this regarding our PM exchange about the Photoshop/Liquefy and Paintshop Pro/Warp tools?  Or another PM from someone else?  😕

It doesn't sound like there was an "exchange".  Apparently someone sent him a message telling him that his art was a waste of space.

I can't see you saying such a thing to anyone :)

Propschick ( ) posted Sat, 31 March 2007 at 2:48 PM

Her , hence the 'chick' part of my name rotflmao hehe

3DVim ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 1:44 AM

Quote - You are right. If they didnt have the guts to post something nasty like that out in the open, that makes them a coward, and by doing so they are being sneaky.

I haven't signed up for the critique group yet, as I'm trying to find more time creating my own artwork, let alone giving other artists in-depth critique.

It's good to know that the forum moderators here are willing to help with this issue (abusive mail).

I second fivecat's points.    
Also, I would suggest that you take most critiques with grains of salt, and pay attention only to the ones from artists whose works are really good or (you think) are better than yours.

When I have more time posting and critiquing artworks, I might decide to send out invitation mail for some of my favorite artists (whose works I really admire) to critique my work.

Just my two cents.

Dajadues ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 3:29 AM · edited Sun, 01 April 2007 at 3:34 AM

Ego trips, aren't they wonderful? ;)

I must be missing something though, I  thought the point was to comment on the images in the gallery but not by a private email or PM? I dont need someone to tell me how to fix my images, this is why I didn't bother. I do art that please me, not someone else. Im not a Poser tech or geek, I don't need someone to write me a five page comment on how to fix my images if you do, then good luck.

I doubt this will last long people's ego's get bruised too easily by the sound of these complaint threads it's already starting to happen.

AshleyW ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 6:35 AM

Quote - Ego trips, aren't they wonderful? ;)

I must be missing something though, I  thought the point was to comment on the images in the gallery but not by a private email or PM? I dont need someone to tell me how to fix my images, this is why I didn't bother. I do art that please me, not someone else. Im not a Poser tech or geek, I don't need someone to write me a five page comment on how to fix my images if you do, then good luck.

I doubt this will last long people's ego's get bruised too easily by the sound of these complaint threads it's already starting to happen.

Yes, you're missing the whole picture.

1)  The initiator of this thread is complaining about somebody having sent her message saying her work is 'a waste of space', and that by most people's values, is way too harsh and non-constructive.   This complaint is righteous and is supported by the Forum moderator, and definitely not of ego trips.

2)  Some people would like to have their works critiqued (in constructive ways, of course), that's why they join the critique group.   Nobody is asking somebody else to 'write them a five page comment on how to fix their images' like you mentioned.   So you're missing the points and then comment here base on your biased perception of others' messages.

As to how long the critique group will last, I don't know.   Even though I'm not in the group, I wish them all the best, and hopefully the group will evolve and improve and last long.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 2:44 PM

I'm optimistic about the "critique club". this thread appears to be related to an abusive comment, which is the exception that proves the concept of constructive criticism IMVHO.

ClawShrimp ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 10:53 PM

I've had an exceptionally possitive experience thus far with the Critique club.

There have been some wonderfully constructive comments made, which encouraged me to post a much improved version of one of my pics.

Without their collective advice, my image would have remained sub-par.

If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominos will fall like a house of cards...checkmate!

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:05 PM

I've gotten some really helpful comments and some that aren't. I signed up because I had hit a Poser Plateau, and wanted to move on. Just ignore the non-helpful comments.

drifterlee ( ) posted Sun, 01 April 2007 at 11:13 PM

I would like to share a really "odd" IM  received. It said "In regards to your "Dragon Huntress" image in your gallery - I hope the dragon eats her." Well, what do you say to something like that? ROFLMAO!!!! PS. Also ignore nasty comments. "They know not what they do."

JOELGLAINE ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 1:59 AM

Critiques ARE different from TROLLING! Trolls know what they're doing.

A critique is a detailed, and pointed examination of the positives and negatives of a piece of art.  Any suggestions on remedies are icing on the cake.  The Critique Club is NOT a group of professionals for the most part, just fellow hobbyists who want to share their opinions on each other's art and possible solutions for problems, and want the same in turn.

Trolling is an outright attack with preface or merit.  No site I know of will tolerate trolls.  I've had my stuff attacked by trolls.  Almost everyone who posts on the internet will.  That doesn't mean it should be tolerated or accepted as tolerated behavior!

There is a STAGGERING variety of juvenile, hateful,cowardly jerks with chips on their shoulders who want to hurt or bully people.  It gives them a thrill or some kind of puerile jollies.  Don't let psycho internet troll bastards push you around or make you feel bad.

Report them and they'll get banned.  Life goes on.

P.S. Propschick--you kick ass art-wise. Not what I usually go for---but I like yours.

I cannot save the world. Only my little piece of it. If we all act together, we can save the world.--Nelson Mandela
An  inconsistent hobgoblin is the fool of little minds
Taking "Just do it" to a whole new level!   

darth_poserus ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 6:33 PM

Quote - I've had an exceptionally possitive experience thus far with the Critique club.

There have been some wonderfully constructive comments made, which encouraged me to post a much improved version of one of my pics.

Me too.

"I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge." Albert Einstein

Free the freebies!

Anniebel ( ) posted Mon, 02 April 2007 at 8:00 PM

Quote - > Quote - I've had an exceptionally possitive experience thus far with the Critique club.

Me too.

Me three.

I am enjoying it immensely. I am seeing artwork I normally probably would not see & have had some invaluable advice given in regards to my own work, which is helping me grow & improve.

The best & most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen nor touched... but felt in the heart.

Helen Keller

My Gallery                       My Freebies                        My Store

johnfields ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 10:45 AM · edited Wed, 04 April 2007 at 10:46 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I've had an exceptionally possitive experience thus far with the Critique club.

Me too.

Me three.

I am enjoying it immensely. I am seeing artwork I normally probably would not see & have had some invaluable advice given in regards to my own work, which is helping me grow & improve.

Ditto!

kalon ( ) posted Wed, 04 April 2007 at 11:27 AM

Ditto again..!

kalonart.com

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.