Mon, Oct 21, 10:56 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Oct 21 9:06 pm)

Subject: Vue 6 A Ripoff Job

jugoth ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 5:31 PM · edited Fri, 18 October 2024 at 6:29 PM

Right
Having used 5 esprite and even with hicups in program it was great apart from fact certain poser scenes would crash it, borrowd 5 inf from friends brother same probs though more stable.
Now i bought vue 6 esprite as i liked me 5 bought but main reason for 6 the fact that you could bring poser scenes in, even with shader tree.
No dont work that way as still shader tree faults but main thing has bloody got me angry is you bring 3 poser figures in say v3, 780,000 as you render though it can crash.
I tried as vob and every compresion variant going no chance so did they pull a con job, yes vue is diff to poser and carerra but even with that they should have allowd you bring more poser stuff in.
I use carerra 5 pro to render as can bring bloody masive scenes and figures in that canot do with vue, i like vue but it means i cant render the bloody scenes i wanted, as i have to do smaller and use cararra for others.
Dont no about you but if they had stated in all the hype if you bring 4 poser figures and even odd bit plant vue will crash i would not have bought it and stuck with 5 esprite.
5 esprite worth the $99 i paid at daz last xmas but i wish i never bought 6 esprite and thier no bloody way id buy INF even if it was $99 with all the poser faults, so been lucky with the sales to get great software but hate bloody fact vue is limited.
Now on p4 and on me new super fast dual core AMD same size crashes so anyone else bought another vue happy with the situation.

svdl ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 6:32 PM

I beg to differ.

The trick is to bring the Poser figures into Vue one by one and save as .VOB. That way I've been able to render 30 Millenium 3 figures with hires textures in Vue 6 Infinite 64 bit, with memory to spare. The full Poser scene was so heavy that Poser itself couldn't handle it anymore (no, I'm not talking about rendering. 30 Mil3 figures won't render in Poser. Don't even try), it ran out of memory loading geometries and proxy low-res textures.

Working with Vue requires some adaptation of workflow. If you do so, it can render massive amounts of characters, plus complex environments, in a reasonable time.

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

jugoth ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 6:56 PM

I did bring in 1 at time save as vob but it saved each figure same size as poser equivalent, i got 4 figures in aded some terain program crashed, it's very bloody finiky.
They need to improve vob compresion as you bring one figure in do f6 to take glair ect off each texture then save as vob, i saved a 300,000 v33 pz3 as a vob it saved it vob size 300,000 same as pz3, a bloody pain though.

whbos ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 7:37 PM

I had problems bringing in Poser scenes or characters into Vue 5.  It crashed every time.  I'm holding off buying Vue 6 because there are many issues not addressed in their "improvements."

I never had problems with Vue 4.  Vue 5, for me, was a disapointment and a mistake.  The upgrade path is also too expensive especially for a program that had beta problems.  As far as I'm concerned--it's still a beta program.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 8:06 PM

At the moment, the Vue 6 Poser import system is mostly broken; P7 was released during the final beta stages, not in time for the beta, but just in time for the gold final. There are significant differences between the P6 SDK, which worked fairly well in the pre-relese, and the P7 SDK which went into the final version. Eon and Efrontier are working on the solutions now. The two -known- major issues are Poser doesn't release texture files when the shader system is accessed....causing the memory pool to fill very quickly and crashing Vue. The other is a change in P7's pathing procedure, that implements a 'virtual' pathing into the pz3....leading to Vue being unable to find props, figures, etc, because the pathname is incorrect....or just doubtful enough to cause problems. Vue 4 didn't have the kinds of problems we see now because it was still an encapsulated program; you could copy it to another drive, and aside from having to re-register things, it worked great. Just like you could do P4. The extra tech in 5 required hooks into the registry for Windows....and we all know what happens if you don't have a perfect registry. Or broken codecs. Or Active X and COM stubs dangling. Or undefined extensions. etc....

Dale B ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 8:07 PM

Quote - I did bring in 1 at time save as vob but it saved each figure same size as poser equivalent, i got 4 figures in aded some terain program crashed, it's very bloody finiky.
They need to improve vob compresion as you bring one figure in do f6 to take glair ect off each texture then save as vob, i saved a 300,000 v33 pz3 as a vob it saved it vob size 300,000 same as pz3, a bloody pain though.

Did you tell Vue to break the association with Poser? That should be one of the import/save options. If you don't then you don't get the benefit of the saving to .vob

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 09 April 2007 at 8:09 PM

Vue lost my business back at version 4 when it refused to import from poser and the only answer the company could come up with was that my Poser 4 was from Metacreations.  It made no sense and they didn't bother with an attempt at a solution despite the fact that I tried to stay in contact with them about the problems. 

...... Kendra

Singular3D ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 12:24 PM

My last version was Vue 5 Esprit. Vue 4 worked great, but Vue 5 was like a beta application. Wanted to switch to Infinite, but the upgrade path was too expensive and the user comments on Vue's stability really bad. Changed to Carrara 5 Pro and I'm really happy with it.

No money left now for Vue6 Inf...

Tirjasdyn ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 12:52 PM

I have Vue 6i...

Make sure you have installed the updates for esprit...and the sr for poser.

I've gotten two sr for vue so far since the final.

I havent' been having a problem with the current scene I'm working on.  I imported the figures one at a time.  I unchecked, pose within vue and kept checked use shader tree. 

Tirjasdyn

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 12:53 PM
Site Admin

I have Vue 5 infinite (i got it free with Lightwave last year). I've had no problems with it yet.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

jugoth ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 1:35 PM

I have imported a figure from poser 6 and 7, and even as object but a p4 figure comes in at 54,000 polygons and if you save as vob and bring in it is still 54,000 polygons.
made a copy of the figure and went to original to change  body texture but it's a pain in ass to do, it comes down to fact that vue cannot compress the polygons, so if bring scene of 852,000 polygons in get memory warning but you can usualy render.
If you save as vob it still 852,000 polygons so it comes down to fact that programers who did vue and who no the e-frontier gone in with them, they should have used compression.
If they dont now how to do it give program to programers from other countries and they will do it for them, show them how to do compression and vue must not be advatised as can render poser scenes, it should come with a warning only certain size import.
1 bloke who comes mates shop borrowed his friends poser 7 and vue 6 inf to do a bloody big scene on his comp, even on a quad core prossesor and 2  £1000 SLI cards and latest mother board and 4 mg ram.
Vue 6 scream outa memory and crashed he got program off as quick as he can and he even said why cant those bloody programers over thier learn to compress, and he has been programing computers for home use from z80.
They need to make some bloody big improvement's to program.

svdl ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 2:43 PM

Referring to the second post in this thread. 

Vue 6 Infinite can handle those scenes.
But a) if you don't run the 64 bit version of Infinite on a 64 bit version of Windows, those 2 GB of address space are exhausted pretty quickly. In Vue 5 Inf (32 bits) and 4.5 Pro (also 32 bits), the maximum number of Poser characters that I could render without running out of memory was about 15, and that at reduced texture resolutions. 
In Vue 6 Inf 64 bit I did 30, with high resolution textures, more complex envirnoment and lighting.  Memory usage: about 3 GB. The scene didn't use ecosystems and weighed in at about 6 million polys. No sweat.
And b): separate the complex scene into subscenes, break the Poser association and save as .VOB. That just plain WORKS.

And if you want Vue to reduce the polygon count - well, it can do that. Just don't be surprised if the resulting mesh doesn't look as good as the original
And if you want Vue to save the files in a compressed format - well, it can do that. Just check the appropriate checkbox.

RTFM!

The pen is mightier than the sword. But if you literally want to have some impact, use a typewriter

My gallery   My freestuff

Tomsde ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 2:53 PM

I have Vue 5 Infinite and have a Quad 2 Duo 2.88 gig processor, 2 gigs ram, 526 gig ATI Radeon video card and Intel motherboard.  I thought my memory issues with Vue would be over, but I was wrong.  It has consistently crashed when working with Poser objects.  

Excuse a neophite, but  can someone explain what saving in VOB means?  What is the procedure.  Do you save the figure to your Vue library?  If you do that then you can't change the figure after the initial posing unless you resave a new figure.  I'm facinated, please explain.

wheatpenny ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 3:14 PM
Site Admin

a .vob is vue's native format. All those objects that came with vue are vob's.  Vue 5 and 6 have object exporting capability, if I'm not mistaken (I've never tried it so i'm not sure), except for some vob's which are export-locked (meaning you can't resave them in a format other than vob).
Any model you import in vue can be saved in vob format and the main advantage of that is that you can then load it thru Vue's object library. All other  model formats have to be imported thru the import feature.

Jeff

Renderosity Senior Moderator

Hablo español

Ich spreche Deutsch

Je parle français

Mi parolas Esperanton. Ĉu vi?

dlk30341 ( ) posted Tue, 10 April 2007 at 4:36 PM

Have the item highlighted/selevted you want to save as .vob then right click then when that menu pops up click on "save object" - now you have a .vob :) 

Or click on FILE(top menu bar) - Save Object.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.