Sun, Oct 6, 9:39 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Fractals

Welcome to the Fractals Forum

Forum Moderators: Deenamic

Fractals F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Aug 27 11:19 am)

Subject: compatibility of apophysis.ucl

taurus66 ( ) posted Fri, 13 April 2007 at 1:47 PM · edited Thu, 25 July 2024 at 10:07 PM

for i don't like the spam-like email-ammounts of the apophysis news-letter i try to get some answers here at rrosity. the current flame fractals(205) coloring algorithm of apophysis.ucl in the pulic formula-database of uf is not fully compatible with the latest beta of apophysis, isn't it? all those warnings are only tedious, but if i try to import a flame using curls or one of the other new variations, the resulting image is not the same. have i lost sight of something or is there no possibility to transfer apo flames to uf yet?

Rykk ( ) posted Sun, 15 April 2007 at 8:31 PM

Nope - the Apo to UF translation .ucl isn't compatible with any version of Apo after beta 2.05. There are an ever increasing number of new triangle variations in the versions after 2.05 that the ucl doesn't know what to do with. I just ran into the same thing with some flames made with Apophysis2.05Beta2-Zplus (the names of these versions keep getting longer and longer, too! lol) that used the "Curl" variation and it wouldn't open properly in UF. I had to render all the flames with transparent backgrounds and do the composition/arranging of them with Photoshop. I did find that the new version of flam3 is like 10x as fast as the internal renderer. I was able to render decent flames with "300" quality set in no more than 64 seconds! To get the same look, I usually have the internal one set to around "6000". Maybe that could be why it was faster(?)

To assure compatability, I reckon you really shouldn't use anything later than the last non-beta, "supported" version - Apophysis 2.02c. The UF ucl for that version even lets you do mapping of the flames.

I'm sure that, eventually, Susan or Nils will get time/motivation to write us a new .ucl but what do you want for nothin'? They - especially Susan - have already spent a good deal of their personal time trying to keep up with it and I for one appreciate that a LOT. I'm not sure exactly how much she is "in the loop" with the new tweakers of the Apophysis program but I get the feeling that compatability with UF is not a big priority with them and they are making it more and more a stand-alone app. When Mark originally wrote the program, he was also a very accomplished UF user and so made sure there was a good link between the programs.

Rick

tdierikx ( ) posted Mon, 16 April 2007 at 3:34 AM

Didn't Mark Townsend do the last 2.05 beta ucl? Susan had a million other things on her plate at the time I seem to remember...

Mark and Susan both have access to the development forums and the raw code for the variations... maybe if someone asked Mark nicely, he might be persuaded to do new ucl's for other versions of Apo with the funky new variations? Both Joel Faber and Gygrazok have link to their raw code for their versions also.

T.

Who? Me?

Wub ( ) posted Mon, 16 April 2007 at 5:03 AM

At this time I don't plan to do any further updates to apophysis.ucl. There are other things that I'm much more interested in. I don't know about the plans of others.

Mark

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.